News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Swift Card reader inside bus stop shelters??

Started by :D, April 24, 2015, 08:31:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

:D

The bus stop shelter just outside Small Heath Asda with buses towards Birmingham has a swift card reader inside it. All it says is it's coming soon. Does anyone know what it's for?

Trident 4609

Quote from: :D on April 24, 2015, 08:31:02 PM
The bus stop shelter just outside Small Heath with buses towards Birmingham has a swift card reader inside it. All it says is it's coming soon. Does anyone know what it's for?

The bus shelters in Victoria St, Wolverhampton feature this now. Looks like a top up point of some sort? There is something similar fitted at Wolverhampton Bus Station

:D

Quote from: Nathan on April 24, 2015, 08:36:05 PM
The bus shelters in Victoria St, Wolverhampton feature this now. Looks like a top up point of some sort? There is something similar fitted at Wolverhampton Bus Station

Apologies if I'm wrong but it has a slot below the screen but it's not for cash. I don't think it's for credit/debit card either since there's no keypad to enter PIN.

BU07 LGO

Matt.N0056

I've noticed in quite a few shelters, some sort of bracket, and wondered what they were for. I'm assuming then it will be theses 'swift readers'?

Kevin

There's one at Tower Hill, out of curiosity I tried my card, it says scanning for updates, then told me it was loaded with a nBus direct debit.
No idea what it's meant for though, maybe for people to check their balance?

Quote from: Matt.N0056 on April 24, 2015, 09:26:26 PM
I've noticed in quite a few shelters, some sort of bracket, and wondered what they were for. I'm assuming then it will be theses 'swift readers'?

There's a bigger version in Walsall Bus station
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Bryan

Quote from: :D on April 24, 2015, 08:31:02 PM
The bus stop shelter just outside Small Heath Asda with buses towards Birmingham has a swift card reader inside it. All it says is it's coming soon. Does anyone know what it's for?

This could be the answer, which was found on the Swift website:

'When will I be able to pay for my top-ups online?
We're hoping very soon! When you pay online you still need to get the product you have bought loaded to your card so we will be introducing 100 readers throughout the region which will be located at bus stops and stations. You will be able to load your product onto your card at these readers....'

http://www.swiftcard.org.uk/faqs.aspx#faq4

Liberator9

There's one in Solihull, by the Lazy Cow now as well.

PM

Some may disagree here but what's the point of this Swift card system? Based on OAP pass usage it doesn't seem to speed boarding up-quite the opposite and just seems complicated with all these top up readers needing installing.

I genuinely think many people would rather physically hold their ticket than it existing in cyber space. But even for those who don't want the hassle of hunting for change, they're likely to have a direct debit set up with Diamond/NX/nBus etc. Besides a mobile app is far far simpler. You don't need readers or anything just an app downlpad, scroll through and pick product and then purchase. People also have the advantage of being able to see exactly what they're buying.

Other than perhaps in some PTE areas and other large cities I can't see the Oyster card system being adopted-it was even invented before smartphones and apps etc. Mobile apps seem the way forward for those who like technology where local authorities don't want to go to the cost of putting in all the necessary infrastructure and good old fashioned travelcards/paper tickets for everyone else.

BU07 LGO

It's also more open to abuse, anybody can use the card as the driver cannot see the photo, and I don't believe inspectors have a way of checking its valid? (May be wrong though)

Stu

Quote from: BU07 LGO on April 25, 2015, 12:32:14 PM
It's also more open to abuse, anybody can use the card as the driver cannot see the photo, and I don't believe inspectors have a way of checking its valid? (May be wrong though)

I believe inspectors will have some kind of handheld reader to check cards. Alternatively, some kind of NFC-enabled smartphone/tablet, with a suitable app, could do the job also.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PM

Quote from: Stu on April 25, 2015, 12:35:12 PM
I believe inspectors will have some kind of handheld reader to check cards. Alternatively, some kind of NFC-enabled smartphone/tablet, with a suitable app, could do the job also.

Even so, all an extra layer of hassle for inspectors who have a whole bus to check. Instead of looking at a smartphone screen with validity date of ticket clearly stated or travelcard (yet, some daysavers print in very faded ink) they'll be standing scanning cards and delaying the bus even more.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of smart, multi-operator ticketing but an app could be so much more effective and not require all the extra add ons that Swift seems to require.

Gareth

I've been on London's buses when inspectors have got on and scanned Oyster cards. It's still a quick process.

Liverpool Street

Quote from: BU07 LGO on April 25, 2015, 12:32:14 PM

They are transferable.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

John

Quote from: Stu on April 25, 2015, 12:35:12 PM

NX revenue inspectors already have a handheld device that they check swift/staff passes with

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk