News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Step Entrance Double Deckers

Started by tc, February 23, 2015, 09:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tc

With just a few step entrance deckers remaining in the big groups I wondered how close we are to seeing the last step entrance decker run on a Sunday anywhere in the UK? Does anyone know of any still running on scheduled services on a Sunday?

Ashley 60171

Quote from: tc on February 23, 2015, 09:39:58 PM
With just a few step entrance deckers remaining in the big groups I wondered how close we are to seeing the last step entrance decker run on a Sunday anywhere in the UK? Does anyone know of any still running on scheduled services on a Sunday?

I did hear that Stagecoach Bedford put F110NES out on a town service sunday just gone.

The only time you will drop step entrance deckers on Sundays is on rail replacement work but I think I've said before it seems the gen to that is confined to a toffee nosed spotter dlite. Failing that check out groups such as JB Tours, Independent Bus Tours or Leyland Olympian running days on Blogspot for guaranteed proper bus action

There are six other days of step entrance stage service appearances, gradually decreasing within the big fish but independents do drop some stuff if your in the right place or in the know

JoNi

Not on a Sunday, but the X16 Coventry - Stratford sees Olympians Monday to Saturday including this elderly L reg one which has been drafted in, without the destination being reprogrammed so look for X16 in windscreen.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/92409298@N06/o18k8G

tc

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on February 23, 2015, 10:02:28 PM

I did hear that Stagecoach Bedford put F110NES out on a town service sunday just gone.

The only time you will drop step entrance deckers on Sundays is on rail replacement work but I think I've said before it seems the gen to that is confined to a toffee nosed spotter dlite. Failing that check out groups such as JB Tours, Independent Bus Tours or Leyland Olympian running days on Blogspot for guaranteed proper bus action

There are six other days of step entrance stage service appearances, gradually decreasing within the big fish but independents do drop some stuff if your in the right place or in the know

Stagecoach Bedford one has to be one of the most interesting!  ;)

First Leeds must be one of the few operators to do a full repaint on a step entrance decker: https://flic.kr/p/o3Z9a3 (not my photo), looks as good as new!

Ashley 60171

Quote from: tc on February 27, 2015, 11:49:42 PM

First Leeds must be one of the few operators to do a full repaint on a step entrance decker: https://flic.kr/p/o3Z9a3 (not my photo), looks as good as new!

Re Bedford , no idea but the Volvos dont come out much anyway.

Re First Leeds, I'm surprised they repainted that at the time but I'm sure its in preservation now

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Matt on March 01, 2015, 10:00:03 PM
Quote from: Ashley 60171 on March 01, 2015, 09:58:39 PM
Quote from: tc on February 27, 2015, 11:49:42 PM

Re Bedford , no idea but the Volvos dont come out much anyway.

Re First Leeds, I'm surprised they repainted that at the time but I'm sure its in preservation now

Dunno about that one but they have Royales in use every day up there

Not from Leeds, try Halifax, Bradford and Huddersfield. "up there" is a big area

trident4370

http://independent-bus-tours.blogspot.co.uk/p/the-black-country-tourer.html
This may or may not be of some use, I appreciate it isn't a normal public service but...

tc

Some of the routes I am aware of still using step entrance deckers on a regular basis weekdays/Saturdays are:
877/878 Wolverhampton - Stafford (Select Bus Services)
701 Peterborough - Whittlesey (Judds)
X16 Coventry - Stratford-upon-Avon (Stagecoach Warwickshire)
26 Redditch - Stratford-upon-Avon (Stagecoach Warwickshire)
21 Weston-super-Mare - Taunton (The Buses of Somerset)
30 Axminster - Taunton (The Buses of Somerset)
54 Yeovil - Taunton (The Buses of Somerset)

Are there any other regular services (not school buses) that anyone knows of?

j789

In Cornwall, where First are covering old Western Greyhound routes, there are a number of step double deckers in service. No doubt some great country routes to do as well around Newquay/ Bodmin etc.

There are some wonderful routes in Kent operated by Stagecoach that still use Olympians. If you go to Canterbury bus station especially, it's a sea of them. Brilliant!

JoNi

tc

Would be interesting to know of any other routes that were still operated by step-entrance buses up to the deadline, I've noticed that the Stagecoach D1 & D3 Daventry - Northampton routes had journeys marked on the timetable in 2015, couldn't have been many routes left with booked workings...

Ashley 60171

Quote from: tc on January 15, 2017, 07:02:26 PM
Would be interesting to know of any other routes that were still operated by step-entrance buses up to the deadline, I've noticed that the Stagecoach D1 & D3 Daventry - Northampton routes had journeys marked on the timetable in 2015, couldn't have been many routes left with booked workings...

Loads!

There are also Olympians still being used in passenger service and on rail replacements.

Stagecoach in Cumbria, Red Kite of Tilsworth and various outfits on Southern and South West Trains replacements this past week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk