News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Diamond West Midlands - Tividale

Started by the trainbasher, January 23, 2015, 03:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Quote from: BusMan Greg on August 18, 2018, 08:29:44 PM
I imagine diamond will paint the whole fleet in red eventually. Another route they may possibly apply the red colors to is the 4/4H

Yeah, I could see that being a good candidate for it. The 50 in Brum as well as the 16/16W could also be good choices to introduce it on. Historically, it seemed like there were a fair few more routes/corridors that Diamond competed on, such as Stourbridge - Dudley - Wednesbury/Walsall, and the 74 from Dudley to West Bromwich spring to mind.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

BusMan Greg

I think the 35/35A/35B might have a chance of getting a makeover eventually. What do you think?

mark114

It would be nice if all buses have a make over but I believe it's only been confirmed as 2 routes at the moment 42/43 and the new 31/32 as for this route only time will tell

BusMan Greg

the optare solo SR's that usually appear on the 65 might get painted in the red livery because at the moment they are all over white with a diamond sticker at the front

Jack

Quote from: StourValley98 on August 18, 2018, 08:33:22 PM
Yeah, I could see that being a good candidate for it. The 50 in Brum as well as the 16/16W could also be good choices to introduce it on. Historically, it seemed like there were a fair few more routes/corridors that Diamond competed on, such as Stourbridge - Dudley - Wednesbury/Walsall, and the 74 from Dudley to West Bromwich spring to mind.
Didn't Diamond do the 87 at one time?

V89MOA

Regarding routes 16/W & 50, I don't see how they can realistically roll the west midlands bus scheme out onto either the 16 or the 50 in their current state, for two main reasons. One they both have different route variants, the 16W for example NX don't currently run, nor do Diamond run the 16A and on the 50 diamond terminate short of Druids Heath (and only run to half the NX frequency). If the buses look identical then this would cause nothing but confusion. Two and this is the bigger issue, diamonds current single deck allocation couldn't seriously cope with both the NX customers and Diamond customers, both already can carry pretty full loads during the peaks and to expect Diamonds single deckers to pile in NX pass users on top is just an unrealistic expectation which would actually make the current Diamond offering worse as at least now one advantage tends to be a quieter less stressful journey!
You also have the issue of Redditch running the Sunday 50s, as well as the Johnsons 150.
To me this just doesn't seem like a scheme that will work in the longrun, there are many issues which unless they are addressed mean that this scheme is unsuitable to roll out fully, that and the contactless incompatibilities which have been mentioned elsewhere on this very forum. It also just seems very restrictive operationally in general to me and I don't really see how Diamond would gain anything as most of their passengers on the Birmingham routes at least would not have paid them a penny for traveling...
Just my thoughts of course, bound to be shot down as usual!

winston

Quote from: V89MOA on August 18, 2018, 10:14:21 PM
Regarding routes 16/W & 50, I don't see how they can realistically roll the west midlands bus scheme out onto either the 16 or the 50 in their current state, for two main reasons. One they both have different route variants, the 16W for example NX don't currently run, nor do Diamond run the 16A and on the 50 diamond terminate short of Druids Heath (and only run to half the NX frequency). If the buses look identical then this would cause nothing but confusion. Two and this is the bigger issue, diamonds current single deck allocation couldn't seriously cope with both the NX customers and Diamond customers, both already can carry pretty full loads during the peaks and to expect Diamonds single deckers to pile in NX pass users on top is just an unrealistic expectation which would actually make the current Diamond offering worse as at least now one advantage tends to be a quieter less stressful journey!
You also have the issue of Redditch running the Sunday 50s, as well as the Johnsons 150.
To me this just doesn't seem like a scheme that will work in the longrun, there are many issues which unless they are addressed mean that this scheme is unsuitable to roll out fully, that and the contactless incompatibilities which have been mentioned elsewhere on this very forum. It also just seems very restrictive operationally in general to me and I don't really see how Diamond would gain anything as most of their passengers on the Birmingham routes at least would not have paid them a penny for traveling...

Diamond didn't run their 42 to Dudley or their 42/43 didn't follow the same route as NXWM's do, however, they will be all the same from tomorrow.

Plus NXWM do run the same as Diamond's 16W, but theirs are two seperate services not a through route

j789

Quote from: V89MOA on August 18, 2018, 10:14:21 PM

You make some interesting points but I really couldn't see the 50 going into this scheme, it's far too lucrative for NXWM - since the H-Lom Scanias and Metros before that the 50 always has brand new vehicles every few years, no other route has had the same level of investment over such a long time period. Also, NXWM frequency is more than double Diamonds and they carry far more passengers. The fact that Doamond put Optare Solos on the route is very telling. Therefore I think the 50 will carry on in its current way as both operators seem happy with the status quo. The 16 would be more likely perhaps.

On a separate note, Diamonds maintenance would need to improve otherwise NWM brand would be tarnished if it gets linked to regular breakdowns etc and that I think is something that company needs to improve across the board. I'm guessing, these buses will likely have their own dedicated maintenance staff to avoid this issue.

winston

Quote from: j789 on August 18, 2018, 10:41:10 PM
You make some interesting points but I really couldn't see the 50 going into this scheme, it's far too lucrative for NXWM - since the H-Lom Scanias and Metros before that the 50 always has brand new vehicles every few years, no other route has had the same level of investment over such a long time period. Also, NXWM frequency is more than double Diamonds and they carry far more passengers. The fact that Doamond put Optare Solos on the route is very telling. Therefore I think the 50 will carry on in its current way as both operators seem happy with the status quo. The 16 would be more likely perhaps.

On a separate note, Diamonds maintenance would need to improve otherwise NWM brand would be tarnished if it gets linked to regular breakdowns etc and that I think is something that company needs to improve across the board. I'm guessing, these buses will likely have their own dedicated maintenance staff to avoid this issue.

The 37 (now 4/4a) has had the same level of investment as the 50 i.e. new fleet every 4 to 5 years for as long. It also sounds as though the 2015 E200MMC's on that route will be replaced with Hydrogen Fuel Cell buses within the next 12 months or so.

DJ

Quote from: Winston on August 18, 2018, 10:32:29 PM
Diamond didn't run their 42 to Dudley or their 42/43 didn't follow the same route as NXWM's do, however, they will be all the same from tomorrow.

Plus NXWM do run the same as Diamond's 16W, but theirs are two seperate services not a through route

Their 43 still won't run to the same route as NXWM's, although it's being renumbered to the 43A to avoid any confusion. I'm not sure if NX will run any 43A journeys, or if Diamond will run any 43's.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Quote from: StourValley98 on August 18, 2018, 11:21:34 PM
Their 43 still won't run to the same route as NXWM's, although it's being renumbered to the 43A to avoid any confusion. I'm not sure if NX will run any 43A journeys, or if Diamond will run any 43's.

Diamond will also be running 43's as well according to the bus workings.
it's been a while....

Tony

If you notice, the two routes being done are where both operators are willing to put exactly the same resources into the joint operation. In both cases this means savings in PVR for both operators.

There would need to be a lot more negotiations around the other routes being mentioned

Solo1

I thought  tividale also had 30926for the 42+43 as spare unless it's going on 31+32 service

mark114

As far as I'm aware 30926 is allocated to the 42/43 route but am not sure if this is a spare as for the new 31/32 route not sure want they are going to use for this route

Trident 4194

Quote from: mark114 on August 23, 2018, 09:42:25 AM
As far as I'm aware 30926 is allocated to the 42/43 route but am not sure if this is a spare as for the new 31/32 route not sure want they are going to use for this route

Could they just leave it unbranded then it could be used on either service

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk