News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Midland Metro in Digbeth.

Started by P419 EJW, October 09, 2014, 10:03:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

P419 EJW

On Birmingham Mail, an article of "Midland Metro in Digbeth: Pictures of new scheme revealed".

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midland-metro-digbeth-pictures-new-7905367

Stevo

Very interesting. But the buses are clearly Mercs - in 2023!

D10

Link to the Consultation site:

http://www.centro.org.uk/metro/other-metro-extensions/birmingham-eastside-extension/

It looks to me like the Adderley Street P & R site is on the site of the Birmingham Central garage parking Area?

If so then unless the P & R site only operates Monday to Friday daytime, then it would drastically reduce the capacity of BC garage, so there may be implications as to the future of BC garage...

winston

Quote from: D10 on October 09, 2014, 09:13:53 PM
Link to the Consultation site:

http://www.centro.org.uk/metro/other-metro-extensions/birmingham-eastside-extension/

It looks to me like the Adderley Street P & R site is on the site of the Birmingham Central garage parking Area?

If so then unless the P & R site only operates Monday to Friday daytime, then it would drastically reduce the capacity of BC garage, so there may be implications as to the future of BC garage...

I'm sure years ago the proposed Eastside re-development of B'ham would have gobbled up the land BC was on, but obviously it never happened.

NX could always consider buying Long Acre off Rotala as a partial replacement

Stevo

I tend to agree - there's so little demand for travel to Bordesley that the station is open only for Blues matches. Now if you were to extend the tram to Bordesley you could then curve up onto the railway formation and convert the Dorridge and Shirley lines to trams with more stops.

the trainbasher

Quote from: Stevo on October 11, 2014, 09:28:52 AM
I tend to agree - there's so little demand for travel to Bordesley that the station is open only for Blues matches. Now if you were to extend the tram to Bordesley you could then curve up onto the railway formation and convert the Dorridge and Shirley lines to trams with more stops.

But where would the Chiltern and X Country services go? This sounds like a TfGM idea....

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Stevo on October 11, 2014, 09:28:52 AM
Now if you were to extend the tram to Bordesley you could then curve up onto the railway formation and convert the Dorridge and Shirley lines to trams with more stops.

Good grief......

Stevo

There were 4 tracks till 1968 as far as Lapworth so long distance services could use the fast lines. The real problem is that the car parks at Acocks Green and Widney Manor are built on the old slow lines. And you'd have to bridge the tracks giving access to Tyseley depot. But it's all possible. Mind you, I won't hold my breath!

CL

Personally, too many metro extensions in Birmingham City Centre would become messy. I understand some extensions, like outside the New, New Street Station & (more futuristically) Curzon Street, but I don't think one would be needed for Digbeth (or Centenary Square, via Town Hall), unless (and still in my opinion) they're trying to eradicate buses in the City Centre...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stu

The Digbeth extension is part of a longer-term plan to extend the Metro to the Airport, along the Coventry Road, I believe.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

CL

Oh, alright. After posting, I did look into the Midland Metro threads more, and John did post an article about it going to Coventry by (if I remember correctly) 2023? - It's a date I definitely saw, when researching the development...
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Sh4318

Quote from: clayderman on October 13, 2014, 09:02:47 PM
Personally, too many metro extensions in Birmingham City Centre would become messy. I understand some extensions, like outside the New, New Street Station & (more futuristically) Curzon Street, but I don't think one would be needed for Digbeth (or Centenary Square, via Town Hall), unless (and still in my opinion) they're trying to eradicate buses in the City Centre...

I agree. If metro passengers want to access another part of Birmingham, they should get off at the appropriate Birmingham station, and walk
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stevo

Manchester has no qualms about the development of the tramway in the city centre and is planning a second city crossing. The essence of the original Metrolink scheme was to link destinations in the city centre with a tramway, something it did brilliantly. As usual Birmingham lags behind.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Stevo on October 15, 2014, 12:51:53 PM
Manchester has no qualms about the development of the tramway in the city centre and is planning a second city crossing. The essence of the original Metrolink scheme was to link destinations in the city centre with a tramway, something it did brilliantly. As usual Birmingham lags behind.

Linking Manchester's two main stations by tram was a reasonably good idea & works very well - as did the existing shuttle bus. It's just a shame about the damnedfool idea of converting heavy rail lines to Metro. Yes, I'm well aware that the original Bury line was a special case with an unique electrification & life-expired rolling stock but even so, 'Metro'ing the line was still retrograde.

.. & then someone goes suggesting converting more Railway lines in the Midlands into unnecessary Metro routes. Please desist, Centro have enough barmy ideas already.

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk