News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Easter Sunday service and profits

Started by s94, April 20, 2014, 09:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Matt on April 20, 2014, 11:16:01 PM
Quote from: Tony on April 20, 2014, 11:14:35 PM
Quote from: Matt.N0056 on April 20, 2014, 09:59:52 PM
I was thinking the same myself. The 900,in to Birmingham, I was on did have a fair few passengers, but I suppose this is due to it connecting Coventry, Airport & Birmingham
I'm doing the first late night I have done for ages with 4902 on the 900.  Very peaceful night.  Just got to do the 2320 back from Coventry now

What have your loadings been like?

Busiest trip was the 23:20 back from Coventry. Double figures waiting for me at the Airport at 6 minutes to midnight!, because I am not normally out at this time of night I don't know whether it was that much quieter than normal or not

richie

I caught the 18:30 226 from wordsley hospital towards merry hill that had 3 people on including myself and the 21:15 226 from merry hill that had only me on

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on April 21, 2014, 10:00:11 AM
I was thinking the same myself. The 900,in to Birmingham, I was on did have a fair few passengers, but I suppose this is due to it connecting Coventry, Airport & Birmingham
I'm doing the first late night I have done for ages with 4902 on the 900.  Very peaceful night.  Just got to do the 2320 back from Coventry now

Busiest trip was the 23:20 back from Coventry. Double figures waiting for me at the Airport at 6 minutes to midnight!, because I am not normally out at this time of night I don't know whether it was that much quieter than normal or not

First hand experience says it's about right. As all loadings are whatever the date on the 900 to be fair.

How'd you find the running times, Tone?
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

Tony

Quote from: Liverpool Street on April 21, 2014, 08:33:28 PM
Quote from: Tony on April 21, 2014, 10:00:11 AM

First hand experience says it's about right. As all loadings are whatever the date on the 900 to be fair.

How'd you find the running times, Tone?

absolutely spot on! considering I didn't know whether they were tight or not so was just driving normally, not rushing or dragging my feet I could show you my spreadsheat saying I was never more than 1min30sec off correct time at any timing point all night!

s94

Seems like it was generally quiet all round. Now having no buses certainly would not be the right approach but considering Easter Sunday is probably the second quietest day of the year behind Christmas Day, why is there a much greater bus service than is available on Boxing Day when in fact Boxing Day is far busier for people getting out and about?

Justin Tyme

Two things to bear in mind: -

• Operators nationwide ran a Sunday service.  Bucking the trend risks causing confusion and so could be counter-productive.
  • There would be extra costs in drawing up new timetables and schedules, registering them with the Traffic Commissioner, and of course producing publicity.
Is it better for the company to go with the flow, and factor things like this in when doing financial forecasting?

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Justin Tyme on April 22, 2014, 09:33:56 PM
Two things to bear in mind: -

• Operators nationwide ran a Sunday service.  Bucking the trend risks causing confusion and so could be counter-productive.
  • There would be extra costs in drawing up new timetables and schedules, registering them with the Traffic Commissioner, and of course producing publicity.
Is it better for the company to go with the flow, and factor things like this in when doing financial forecasting?

To a degree, i agree with point one, however with money tight at the moment is there any point in saying we will operate a Sunday service just because everyone else does. Surely a special service that still caters for peoples needs, but does not waste resources and money should in my opinion be considered. In London, they operate a normal Sunday service on Boxing Day, that does not cause confusion for everyone operating special or no timetables around the country.

Yes, there may be extra costs in new timetables and schedules, however this cost may be absorbed by saving made.

Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stuharris 6360

What a difference a week makes!!

Caught sight of one of the 276s that i saw empty last week (19:15 ex Dudley going through Lye). This week it was 3/4 full.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

John

After driving the 94, both last Sunday, and today, there was not much difference in the passenger loads between the past 2 Sundays

Sh4318

Quote from: John on April 27, 2014, 08:33:32 PM
After driving the 94, both last Sunday, and today, there was not much difference in the passenger loads between the past 2 Sundays

Is that a good or bad thing?
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

John

Quote from: Sh4318 on April 27, 2014, 08:49:39 PM
Quote from: John on April 27, 2014, 08:33:32 PM

Is that a good or bad thing?

Neither. I was just saying that loadings were still generally the same both days

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk