News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

New tram

Started by karl724223, April 02, 2014, 10:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

karl724223

New tram on display at snow hill on saturday

James4368

Local Bus Routes
58 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
60 - Birmingham - Cranes Park
99 - Lea Village - Acocks Green
S16 - Yardley Swan - Solihull
X1 - Birmingham - Coventry
X2 - Birmingham - Solihull

CL

But how would we get pass the ticket gates?  ::) ??? :o :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Tony

Quote from: clayderman on April 03, 2014, 07:49:22 PM

What ticket gates? There are no gates on to any tram stop

CL

Quote from: Tony on April 03, 2014, 07:58:02 PM

Silly me... Only, I thought I saw some at Snow Hill. ::) I don't often use rail of any sort! Apart from to and from London in the Summer Holidays. :P
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Sh4318

Quote from: clayderman on April 03, 2014, 08:56:23 PM
Quote from: Tony on April 03, 2014, 07:58:02 PM

Silly me... Only, I thought I saw some at Snow Hill. ::) I don't often use rail of any sort! Apart from to and from London in the Summer Holidays. :P

The tram platforms don't have any barriers. But the rail platforms do
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

P419 EJW

I am looking forward to see the new tram for the first time on Saturday. Will be interesting to see what does the interior design looks like.

P419 EJW

Today is the day. I saw the new tram. First impressions were okay, just... That pink colour at the ends. I like the body design. I was a bit surprised with the seating layout, I don't know but it looked it has less seats than the current trams. More space for standing. The information of passenger capacity says "Passenger capacity: 208. Seated: 52. Wheelchair areas: 2."

I asked the staff how many trams. She said we will have 20 trams, got 5 at the moment, will have more coming. The new trams will be in service in July, apparently.

What are your thoughts about the new tram?

JIM H

Visited Snow Hill today to see new Tram 20. It's nice to have the whole of the interior on the same level and it gives the impression of being of being much longer than the original trams supplied. Visitors were allowed to sit in the driver's seat by the friendly staff who were keen to answer questions. The number of seated passengers and total capacity is similar to the new trams being supplied to Manchester and Nottingham, so i suppose this has proven to be a successful configuration. The new tram has 5 articulated sections and increased braking power due to gradients and sharp curves at the lower end of Corporation St into Stephenson St. It seems as if the original trams
will never use the new route because of their inadequate braking as well as being as being due for retirement, although they were never in the plans for the new route.

horsencart

I have to say the new tram 20 looks good apart from the colour scheme  (vomit inducing) if I may pick a couple of faults
Bum Numb
The seats are very uncomfortable and will give you a numb bum after a time I think the plan is that you will not be on the tram for to long,

One Cheek Seats 
If you are broad in the beam then sadly some of the seats you will only fit one cheek at a time

Kneesy
Again with some of the seats you will be touching the knees of the person who sits in the opposite seat this is fine in the person is a nice young female, with my luck it will be a big  hairy arsed  bus driver

Other than that it was an interesting day of course come the day and they run in service watching the trams turn into Stevenson Street will be interesting as the buses found the turn awkward  at times 

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: horsencart on April 05, 2014, 05:51:50 PM
of course come the day and they run in service watching the trams turn into Stevenson Street will be interesting as the buses found the turn awkward  at times

Shouldn't be much fun on the first day as they run on rails & any gauging issues should have been long sorted by then.

Having said that, there's always the potential for derailments - & Centro are involved, so I shouldn't really rule anything out!

Solo1

here is the tram at Snow hill for those who didn't';t make It https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanjack/13648362245/in/photostream/

notepanel

Quote from: Solo1 on April 05, 2014, 07:08:21 PM
here is the tram at Snow hill for those who didn't';t make It https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanjack/13648362245/in/photostream/

I wonder how many people tried to get on for travel, without even noticing anything different!

Rob H

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on April 05, 2014, 06:57:57 PM
Quote from: horsencart on April 05, 2014, 05:51:50 PM
of course come the day and they run in service watching the trams turn into Stevenson Street will be interesting as the buses found the turn awkward  at times

Shouldn't be much fun on the first day as they run on rails & any gauging issues should have been long sorted by then.

Having said that, there's always the potential for derailments - & Centro are involved, so I shouldn't really rule anything out!

On the first day of Flexity Operation in Blackpool a derailment happened in Fleetwood 006 was the victim it was departing Fleetwood Ferry on the first journey to Starr Gate it derailed on the curve that was due to sand being blown onto the rails and trams were being terminated at Fisherman's Walk while 006 was being re-railed.

As you said Dave Never Rule anything out.
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

windy miller

I couldn't make it to Snow hill on the day but I notice Tony took a great shot of tram 20.
Passing Wednesbury depot on thursday, (10th) there were 4 trams clearly visible in the open depot area, but not able to see the numbers.. can I assume they are trams 17, 18, 19, and 20?... :-\ thanks
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk