News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Westfield agrees to sell Merry Hill Shopping Centre

Started by winston, March 20, 2014, 01:08:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winston

Westfield have today announced that they intend to sell Merry Hill along with two others to Intu (owners of Trafford Centre, Metrocentre, Gateshead, Braehead, Glasgow & Lakeside to name but a few). I wonder if the new owners will be more pro public transport than Westfield have been and eventually the Merry Hill Centre could end up getting the bus station it deserves along with greater bus priorities

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-derbyshire-26662711

Does anyone else have any thoughts or experience of Intu?

Roy

I understand that the feeling at Centro is that the sale of Merry Hill by Westfield would offer the best chance of a new bus station.  Hopefully, Centro and Intu will be meeting as soon as possible to discuss public transport facilities at Merry Hill.

I have used the Bus Station at Metrocentre and that is a really excellent facility with covered access directly into the shopping centre.

winston

Quote from: Roy on March 20, 2014, 01:15:22 PM
I understand that the feeling at Centro is that the sale of Merry Hill by Westfield would offer the best chance of a new bus station.  Hopefully, Centro and Intu will be meeting as soon as possible to discuss public transport facilities at Merry Hill.

I have used the Bus Station at Metrocentre and that is a really excellent facility with covered access directly into the shopping centre.

Thanks for your comments Roy, the change of ownership sounds very promising for Merry Hill then & bus operators that serve the shopping centre. It's also good to hear that Centro haven't abandoned plans to get Merry Hill a new bus station that's fit for purpose / offers an alternative to traveling there by car

Roy

It will also be interesting to see what their policy will be regarding car parking charges.

winston

Quote from: Roy on March 20, 2014, 01:54:29 PM
It will also be interesting to see what their policy will be regarding car parking charges.

Just checked the big four Intu currently own that I mentioned above & parking is free at all of those, so I expect Merry Hill will remain free. As long as they provide people arrive by public transport/bus operators with decent facilities that fit in with the Shopping Centre that will be a big plus. If Intu were to go as fair as promoting public transport via installing bus priorities to allow buses to access/exit the shopping centre quicker at busy times, that would be an additional bonus.

andrew1991

according to intu's website 'Our centres are continually evolving through refreshment, refurbishment, retail mix evolution and extensions'

Would a new bus station qualify as refurbishment ?

winston

Quote from: Andrew on March 20, 2014, 02:16:10 PM
according to intu's website 'Our centres are continually evolving through refreshment, refurbishment, retail mix evolution and extensions'

Would a new bus station qualify as refurbishment ?

I think a 'miracle' would be more appropriate heading to put that one under  ;D

the trainbasher

Putting parking charges on merry hill would also entice people on to buses to there wouldn't it?

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Sh4318

Quote from: Roy on March 20, 2014, 01:54:29 PM

I was thinking that
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

andyr

Perhapes the level of commitment to public transport depends on the centre managment team. There shopping centre in London as great facillities including set down and pick up facilities for touring coaches and safe parking to. Or perhapes the problem is centro related ?

D10

The new owners interview with the E&S seems to confirm that they will not willingly charge for car parking:  :'(

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/03/22/new-boss-reveals-big-ideas-for-merry-hill/

But perhaps there is a bit of hope for Public Transport, as free parking seems to be only one of their methods of attracting customers:

"It's very important to the centre that we make it easy for people to get there and free parking is part of that."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk