News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bob Crow

Started by the trainbasher, March 11, 2014, 12:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Express and Star online reports that Railway union boss Bob Crow has passed away

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

the trainbasher

http://www.expressandstar.com/news/2014/03/11/union-leader-bob-crow-dies-at-52/

QuoteRail union leader Bob Crow died today at 52.

The Rail, Maritime and Transport union made the announcement "with the deepest regret".

A brief statement said: "It is with the deepest regret that RMT has to confirm that our general secretary Bob Crow sadly passed away in the early hours of this morning.

"RMT would request that all media respect the privacy of the friends and family of Bob Crow at this distressing time."

Mr Crow, who was 52, was one of the most high-profile, left-wing union leaders of his generation, sparking as much anger from passengers hit by rail and Tube strikes, as praise from his members for winning pay rises.

He was constantly involved in industrial disputes and campaigns and led a walkout by London Underground workers last month in a dispute over ticket office closures.

The straight-talking south Londoner was a passionate supporter of Millwall Football Club.

His death caused shockwaves in the trade union movement today.

Manuel Cortes, leader of the TSSA rail union, who stood on picket lines with Mr Crow during last month's Tube strike, said: "Bob Crow was admired by his members and feared by employers, which is exactly how he liked it.

"It was a privilege to campaign and fight alongside him because he never gave an inch."

UK Independence Party (Ukip) leader Nigel Farage tweeted: "Sad at the death of Bob Crow. I liked him and he also realised working-class people were having their chances damaged by the EU."

Mr Crow had been campaigning for the No2EU political party in May's European elections, arguing that workers were suffering because of policies from Europe.

In a statement, London Mayor Boris Johnson said: "I'm shocked. Bob Crow was a fighter and a man of character.

"Whatever our political differences, and there were many, this is tragic news.

"Bob fought tirelessly for his beliefs and for his members.

"There can be absolutely no doubt that he played a big part in the success of the Tube, and he shared my goal to make transport in London an even greater success.

"It's a sad day."

Sir Peter Hendy, London's Transport Commissioner, said: "We are shocked by this terribly sad and unexpected news. Our thoughts are with Bob Crow's family, friends and all those he represented."

Tributes poured in for the late union leader within seconds of the news of his death

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

windy miller

Bob had always been a character! When he was told last spring  " The Daffodils were out".. he replied... "Is that Official or unofficial? :)  Sad loss to society, and only 52.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk