News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Coventry Garage

Started by 6013, July 22, 2013, 02:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

J GL

Sorry, I don't understand. Are they putting double deckers on the 85. Kind regards.

JoNi

Quote from: J GL on October 27, 2020, 09:48:42 AM
Sorry, I don't understand. Are they putting double deckers on the 85. Kind regards.
I dont know if NX are putting double deckers on 85 "school workings" like De Courcey did.
I was making the point that previously in the mystic east (WMPTE slang for Coventry) vehicles used on school workings interworked between routes to provide appropriate capacity when required.
The capability of doing this obviously still exists as NX buses in Coventry successfully interworked between routes on New Years Day 2020 to provide clockface headways.
De Courcey's use of lower case suffex letters (e.g. 585b) was good as they were easy to read.

J GL

Ok, I understand you. I saw a double decker on the 585 in Rugby a few weeks back presumably on the school run (I didn't catch the blind). It's a shame that they are renumbering the 585 to 85 as it is a very old route number but it makes logical sense, not that I agree with it.

Sandy Lane

The city centre stop for 3 to Binley is moving from Hales St to 'Ironmonger Row' (Burges) on Sunday
https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/information/service-changes/enter-title-2020-11-02

What is the logic for this? Is this making the route a bit longer? Maybe there is good reason but I cant see it at the mo?

Adam 404

Quote from: Sandy Lane on November 13, 2020, 09:52:07 AM
The city centre stop for 3 to Binley is moving from Hales St to 'Ironmonger Row' (Burges) on Sunday
https://nxbus.co.uk/coventry/information/service-changes/enter-title-2020-11-02

What is the logic for this? Is this making the route a bit longer? Maybe there is good reason but I cant see it at the mo?
The route has to loop Trinity Street / The Burges anyway. This change in stand will reduce the walk to the centre of the City. Passengers for Pool Meadow can still alight / board at Sprinkles.

paulb1973

Quote from: Adam 404 on November 13, 2020, 01:25:24 PM
The route has to loop Trinity Street / The Burges anyway. This change in stand will reduce the walk to the centre of the City. Passengers for Pool Meadow can still alight / board at Sprinkles.

I wonder if TfWM will put up a shelter on Ironmonger Row, as its more than just a 'set down' stop. I presume Hales St has become too busy and congested. There was a perfectly good shelter on the old set-up (the centre island) - but the council saw fit to build that rather barren Ironmonger Square instead.

JPC

Quote from: paulb1973 on November 13, 2020, 03:26:27 PM
I wonder if TfWM will put up a shelter on Ironmonger Row, as its more than just a 'set down' stop. I presume Hales St has become too busy and congested. There was a perfectly good shelter on the old set-up (the centre island) - but the council saw fit to build that rather barren Ironmonger Square instead.

NX are slightly incorrect in saying Ironmonger Row as BS6 is the first stop on Cross Cheaping/The Burges which at least has some shop frontage canopy for waiting passengers despite the obnoxious location and BS5 will get more busy with it's increased swathe of routes for the Allesley & Coundon directions - agreed Ironmonger Row TS5 is much in need of a cantilever shelter.

JoNi

The Burges used to have four stops until the road was narrowed at the top.
BS5 didn't have a shelter because it was a set down stop.
It allowed passengers especially the elderly of ALL west/northbound buses (not just 9/A) to access Broadgate without having to walk up hill. Some drivers who understood customer service continued to set people down there after August 2019 service changes especially those in wheelchairs. Whoever compiled the public survey prior to those changes clearly didn't realise the inconvenience that change would cause or get/want feedback passengers or front line staff, who were lost for words when I wondered if those responsible valued the real world experiences of colleagues.
A request to TfWM by users for a shelter at BS5 was declined because the pavement is allegedly too narrow.
The Stoke Aldermoor bus always went from Pool Meadow until removal when numbered 16 presumably to save NX departure charges which is the root cause of the problem with the 3.
Other metropolitan areas used the Covid pandemic as an opportunity to run services more efficiently with tickets interavailable between operators which could occur in West Midlands if Operators were prepared to tango for their and bus users mutual benefit!
Isn't that the point of having an alliance to achieve more than one party can alone!

ellspurs

Quote from: JoNi on November 14, 2020, 03:54:51 PM
The Burges used to have four stops until the road was narrowed at the top.
BS5 didn't have a shelter because it was a set down stop.
It allowed passengers especially the elderly of ALL west/northbound buses (not just 9/A) to access Broadgate without having to walk up hill. Some drivers who understood customer service continued to set people down there after August 2019 service changes especially those in wheelchairs. Whoever compiled the public survey prior to those changes clearly didn't realise the inconvenience that change would cause or get/want feedback passengers or front line staff, who were lost for words when I wondered if those responsible valued the real world experiences of colleagues.
A request to TfWM by users for a shelter at BS5 was declined because the pavement is allegedly too narrow.
The Stoke Aldermoor bus always went from Pool Meadow until removal when numbered 16 presumably to save NX departure charges which is the root cause of the problem with the 3.
Other metropolitan areas used the Covid pandemic as an opportunity to run services more efficiently with tickets interavailable between operators which could occur in West Midlands if Operators were prepared to tango for their and bus users mutual benefit!
Isn't that the point of having an alliance to achieve more than one party can alone!

Ever since they tried to close off the junction of Hales Street/Trinity Street, the whole road system in Coventry City Centre has been a complete and utter mess, especially in that part of the city.

paulb1973

Quote from: JPC on November 13, 2020, 11:30:57 PM
NX are slightly incorrect in saying Ironmonger Row as BS6 is the first stop on Cross Cheaping/The Burges which at least has some shop frontage canopy for waiting passengers despite the obnoxious location and BS5 will get more busy with it's increased swathe of routes for the Allesley & Coundon directions - agreed Ironmonger Row TS5 is much in need of a cantilever shelter.

Yes, you are correct, BS6 is actually the Cross Cheaping/Burges stop - and it is a grim location!

I'm sure there used to be 6 cantilever shelters in that area; Adshel 0602 0133-0137/0145 (old stops C2 to C7). Stop C3 being removed after being damaged somehow and a pole inserted instead. I assume all the rest went when the area was 'refurbished'. This using older pics of the Burges area.

bususer28

I was wondering as to whether there is a specific reason why the numbers on the dot matrix displays on Coventry buses are on the left rather than right. I personally find it quite strange but that is probably just me!

ellspurs

I saw a 20 leaving Nuneaton this afternoon (around 1420) which looked like it has an issue with its display.

The "20 Coventry" was in little writing across the top row of the matrix display, kinda like the via writing on this vehicle.

Tony

Quote from: ellspurs on January 22, 2021, 05:23:24 PM
I saw a 20 leaving Nuneaton this afternoon (around 1420) which looked like it has an issue with its display.

The "20 Coventry" was in little writing across the top row of the matrix display, kinda like the via writing on this vehicle.

It will happen if a new display is installed and is on the setting for the side display.

paulb1973

Quote from: ellspurs on January 22, 2021, 05:23:24 PM

That'll probably be 4770.

windy miller

This Bus tracker option is very useful  but is it possible to track coaches?
   Or Maybe 768 ?  thanks
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk