News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Least elusive buses

Started by nitromatt1, June 03, 2013, 02:02:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C Driver

LS - You'd love browsing through my box full of old paperwork, newsletters etc. Still got my Bristol Rd Jubilee Line badge from 2002. And lots of other interesting bits and bobs from the 90s onwards.
4444 -The Star Wars Bus

- May the 4s be with you!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Bham Central Driver on February 16, 2014, 06:31:32 PM
LS - You'd love browsing through my box full of old paperwork, newsletters etc. Still got my Bristol Rd Jubilee Line badge from 2002. And lots of other interesting bits and bobs from the 90s onwards.

Nice one! Always great to see stuff from days gone. I've got the Jubilee Line tie from then, and numerous ceremonial ties. Shame NX doesn't continue in the path of WMT/TWM. I think the two eras I've experienced were the best. And I'm surprised how I've missed the Cosmos font which was used on all TWM publicity [and every TWM piece of paper I've found] lovely. It isn't even a dated typeface so I wish it would make a return. National Express and all associated graphics and fonts, I think, makes it messy.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

P419 EJW

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 16, 2014, 07:12:10 PM

Nice one! Always great to see stuff from days gone. I've got the Jubilee Line tie from then, and numerous ceremonial ties. Shame NX doesn't continue in the path of WMT/TWM. I think the two eras I've experienced were the best. And I'm surprised how I've missed the Cosmos font which was used on all TWM publicity [and every TWM piece of paper I've found] lovely. It isn't even a dated typeface so I wish it would make a return. National Express and all associated graphics and fonts, I think, makes it messy.

I agree with the Cosmos font. I liked the font on anything, eg, destination blinds, timetables, stickers etc. To me, that was the TWM font. The font NX is using today is shit, basically. Maybe they were trying to "match" with the logo writing? Also, I have noticed a change of wording on the Welcome Aboard sticker - "Please don't bring foul-smelling food or drinks that may spill on the bus." (iirc) Foul-smelling? Okay. On the old TWM sticker, I only can remember "No food or drinks allowed". That is a clear and concise instruction.

Liberator9

I too preferred the TWM branding. Sounded better anyway but the font always looked good on the buses. Been looking at some of the BY Scania Omnilinks today in toothpaste and they looked much smarter with the TWM logo and brand on the front. The livery was also much more distinctive than the NX livery and I swear the Scanias in toothpaste's paint has barely faded compared to the NX vinyl on the 57 PB regs. 

Tony

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 16, 2014, 06:19:53 PM
Quote from: Tony on February 16, 2014, 02:22:14 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 16, 2014, 02:13:20 PM
Quote from: Bham Central Driver on February 16, 2014, 02:00:50 PM
'Fare' play! Last time I did a full 11 was when 30XX Metro's were the norm! Happy days.

Was you a passenger or driver then? LS?

Sorry, I should've clarified. Passenger, Bham Central Driver, I've never worked at PB or AG.

Or Harborne?

Did the 11 run from there then? Or was it of a similar split with AG etc?

The only depots I've worked at was Cotteridge (many, many, many years ago), left the Company for pastures new, and then came back in 2002? to Birmingham Central. I've done a stint at YW for when the 50 transferred and one other time but I can't remember why some BC drivers changed  :-[ . [Maybe Bham Central Driver can help me here] If I remember correctly. I'll have to get some more accurate dates from looking at an abundance of paperwork I've found in the loft. Even found some old WMT timetables and garage paperwork. Also a little late running book from WMT era. Probably worth selling that crap as I've no use for it; I'm sure I'll forget what paper is soon enough  >:(

The 11 was originally split equally 3 ways between Acocks Green, Harborne & Perry Barr, with lots of other garages doing peak extras on it. The 8 late night buses would run in batches as well, so you got AG, AG, AG. PB, PB, PB, HE, HE in that order, so between 11pm & midnight each garages buses would all terminate close to their own garages at about the same time!

Liverpool Street

Quote from: Tony on February 16, 2014, 09:21:51 PM
'Fare' play! Last time I did a full 11 was when 30XX Metro's were the norm! Happy days.

Sorry, I should've clarified. Passenger, Bham Central Driver, I've never worked at PB or AG.

Or Harborne?

The only depots I've worked at was Cotteridge (many, many, many years ago), left the Company for pastures new, and then came back in 2002? to Birmingham Central. I've done a stint at YW for when the 50 transferred and one other time but I can't remember why some BC drivers changed  :-[ . [Maybe Bham Central Driver can help me here] If I remember correctly. I'll have to get some more accurate dates from looking at an abundance of paperwork I've found in the loft. Even found some old WMT timetables and garage paperwork. Also a little late running book from WMT era. Probably worth selling that crap as I've no use for it; I'm sure I'll forget what paper is soon enough  >:(

The 11 was originally split equally 3 ways between Acocks Green, Harborne & Perry Barr, with lots of other garages doing peak extras on it. The 8 late night buses would run in batches as well, so you got AG, AG, AG. PB, PB, PB, HE, HE in that order, so between 11pm & midnight each garages buses would all terminate close to their own garages at about the same time!

Very clever. So that's how they reduced the dead mileage so much then in those days. Any other routes which were split as such? Maybe with Cotteridge garage for South Routes with Yardley Wood maybe? I can't remember.
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
until it cought fire

Stuharris 6360

I miss the days when routes were operated by more than one garage, i used to like the 79, would it be a Hockley, West Brom or Wolverhampton garage bus that would turn up.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 17, 2014, 09:13:50 PM
Quote from: Tony on February 16, 2014, 09:21:51 PM

Or Harborne?

Very clever. So that's how they reduced the dead mileage so much then in those days. Any other routes which were split as such? Maybe with Cotteridge garage for South Routes with Yardley Wood maybe? I can't remember.

The 8 was split LS/HY. The 16 (Yardley-Hamstead) was split LS/HY; The 90 (Hall Green-Pheasey) was split YW/PB. A Strange one was the 94 split WH/SN The 33 had odd peak journeys right through Quinton-Kingstanding with QN doing some of the trips

CL

Quote from: P419 EJW on February 16, 2014, 07:23:33 PM
Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 16, 2014, 07:12:10 PM

I agree with the Cosmos font. I liked the font on anything, eg, destination blinds, timetables, stickers etc. To me, that was the TWM font. The font NX is using today is shit, basically. Maybe they were trying to "match" with the logo writing? Also, I have noticed a change of wording on the Welcome Aboard sticker - "Please don't bring foul-smelling food or drinks that may spill on the bus." (iirc) Foul-smelling? Okay. On the old TWM sticker, I only can remember "No food or drinks allowed". That is a clear and concise instruction.

I love the Cosmos Font. I only wish is to make it slightly narrower, like for the numbers on the rollerblind display. They seemed quite 'tall' and slightly narrower, and it made it look nicer.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Stuharris 6360

1553, over the last fortnight can't go out without seeing it!!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Trident 4609

4566 and 4583  are buses that I keep seeing (Usually on the 59)

Rob H

2107 & 7022 are currently following me atm they're on each 71/72 I get
60 Birmingham - Cranes Park
72/72A Solihull Station - Chelmsley Wood
73 Solihull - Heartlands Hospital
X1 Birmingham - Coventry
X2 Birmingham - Solihull Station
A10 Solihull - Cranes Park / Chelmsley Wood

John

I keep bumping into 4263 when I'm in town (not literally!)

Liverpool Street

Quote from: John on April 16, 2014, 07:29:13 PM
I keep bumping into 4263 when I'm in town (not literally!)

I would hope not! A driver of your calibre..... ;)
until it cought fire

domino.99

4569 is one i KEEP seeing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk