News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Northern on BBC Radio 4

Started by the trainbasher, April 01, 2013, 11:51:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

BBC Radio 4's Today programme reported that from April 1, Northern Rail is replacing train numbers with barcodes that trainspotters can photograph and then upload to the web via their smartphones.

The barcodes are specially elongated so that trainspotters can snap them as the train speeds past, and also means they can help inform commuters about whether the trains are running on time.

However, pop impresario and keen trainspotter Pete Waterman is leading the charge against the barcodes, saying: "It's not the same thing. It's like email – you can't beat meeting people."

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

windy miller

http://bbarker.co.uk/eastCoast/   you could try a similar vein here!... I think there may be a way to enter the appropriate Train 'Code' as it were, and get more info...I don't think we can do this with WM Buses! ;D ;D
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

windy miller

My Apologies... you CAN find real-time LONDON transport buses..using the same address, Just click on any london area location red 'dot'...this will give you immidiate access to the station display monitors.. then click on 'NEW' above the list...you should get a detail map of London bus routes. Just put the Hair cursor where your exact location is..and just click.. Voila!..your next available bus in each direction is shown. can we do that in Birmingham?  :-\ :-\

Stu

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

windy miller

thanks stu..I Have just been on the site to look for a (BUS) from WN bus stn to Stafford? I can't see anything? ???  Well.. nothing obvious anyway...(service bus I mean) Not NX

Stu

Then you need the Network West Midlands journey planner:
http://jp.networkwestmidlands.com/centro/XSLT_TRIP_REQUEST2?language=en

It tells me there is an Arriva 76 service from Wolverhampton to Stafford.  ;)
My locals:

Trident 4609

Quote from: windy miller on April 02, 2013, 06:27:17 PM
thanks stu..I Have just been on the site to look for a (BUS) from WN bus stn to Stafford? I can't see anything? ???  Well.. nothing obvious anyway...(service bus I mean) Not NX

Yes the Arriva Route 76 (Cannock garage) runs between wolverhampton -stafford.

It stops in Stafford street in Wolverhampton and doesn't serve wolverhampton bus station.

The 76 i think is hourly mon- sat and 2 hourly sundays

Hope this helps you

windy miller

Thanks guys...much appreciated.

Kevin_Brum12

Quote from: trainbasher on April 01, 2013, 11:51:34 AM
BBC Radio 4's Today programme reported that from April 1, Northern Rail is replacing train numbers with barcodes that trainspotters can photograph and then upload to the web via their smartphones.

The barcodes are specially elongated so that trainspotters can snap them as the train speeds past, and also means they can help inform commuters about whether the trains are running on time.

However, pop impresario and keen trainspotter Pete Waterman is leading the charge against the barcodes, saying: "It's not the same thing. It's like email – you can't beat meeting people."

....from April 1st....  :D :D :D

Kevin

Quote from: Kevin_Brum12 on April 05, 2013, 02:34:58 PM
Quote from: trainbasher on April 01, 2013, 11:51:34 AM
BBC Radio 4's Today programme reported that from April 1, Northern Rail is replacing train numbers with barcodes that trainspotters can photograph and then upload to the web via their smartphones.

....from April 1st....  :D :D :D

Yeah I was wondering going on the responses whether people actually realised
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Stu

I knew it was an April Fools trick, I was merely replying to Windy's queries, which weren't really related to the original post anyway.  ;)
My locals:

Sh4318

Quote from: Stu on April 05, 2013, 06:44:44 PM
I knew it was an April Fools trick, I was merely replying to Windy's queries, which weren't really related to the original post anyway.  ;)

I thought as much, I didn't see a barcode on any of Northern's 323s today  ;D
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

windy miller

AIthough a number of Arriva and other independents operate from Stafford St in Wolves... Can I assume that  ALL Park lane based WM services operate to/from the bus station? :-\

SMK

Quote from: windy miller on April 11, 2013, 03:34:14 AM
AIthough a number of Arriva and other independents operate from Stafford St in Wolves... Can I assume that  ALL Park lane based WM services operate to/from the bus station? :-\
In terms of routes into the city centre, all except the 1, 3 and 4 serve the bus station.
Though, when Tettenhall-bound, the 1 does serve a stop on Pipers Row which is across the street from the bus station.
We'll get rid of your bus to Wolves and replace it with one to Walsall instead.......... Oh the joy of a Network Review. -_-

windy miller

SMK....thanks for the info ;) To the casual observer then, the (designated) Volvo hybrids on the 1 service ie 5515/6/7/8- may be the only hybrids not seen within the Bus Station itself..? but could be veiwed from, say, The NX coach stand presumably? :-\

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk