News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Not a rail in sight!

Started by RW, March 27, 2013, 09:02:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RW

Given that the 2 office blocks adjacent to Snow Hill are complete and the tram 'mall' between them and the station appears to be available thought there might now be some sign of preparatory work in that area for the realignment of the track from Snow Hill onto the 'mall' and beyond. So far no sign of any work. Any one know when any actual work on ballasting and track laying is due to start?

windy miller

I reckon the next fortnight will see some major changes... with all the trams laid off to the 15th of april apparently.
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

mikestone

That's only to modify the existing stations for the new trams AIUI.

Kevin

Something I've found curious, they've closed corporation st and bull st etc in the city centre, and in some places have dug up the road and relaid it, and yet still no tram lines, so they're gonna have to dig it all up again to do it later. Seems a massive waste of time and money to me
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Gareth

All of the digging up that has been done in the city centre so far is the moving of utility pipes. This had to be done first ready for when work starts on laying down track.

There is still about two years before the extension opens, plenty of time.

tank90

Quote from: Gareth on March 28, 2013, 11:39:48 AM
All of the digging up that has been done in the city centre so far is the moving of utility pipes. This had to be done first ready for when work starts on laying down track.

I can see what Kevin means tho it does seem silly when you could have moved the utilities and then laid the track and re macced it putting rubber plugs between the mac and rails.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

RW

Understood Gareth but at Snow Hill and the tram 'mall' no apparent utilities work taking place so why not get on with it? Why delay work?

mikestone

In Rochdale they appear to be moving the utilities and laying the track between the railway and bus stations in one go.

Kevin

Quote from: mikestone on March 28, 2013, 07:08:04 PM
In Rochdale they appear to be moving the utilities and laying the track between the railway and bus stations in one go.

That's because, in manchester, they actually seem to have their act together and really going for it with the trams

RW

Inevitable that the role of the West Midlands ITA would come up at some stage and yes like others, rightly or wrongly, I wonder why the ITA always appears to have difficulty in making progress with 'tram' related matters.

RW

Just back from 3 weeks holiday and surprise, surprise still 'not a rail in sight'! Given that according to the project timeline some 'extension' work was scheduled to commence in May, which now looks unlikely, how long before there are 'whispers' about  the completion date being put back?
Any thoughts?

midlandred2003

I went on a tram to Oldham last week,rails being laid thru the town last tram back into manchester on fridays/saturdays 01:54!!extensions and new lines being built,and what have we got to look forward to snow hill to new street how exciting?

The Real 4778

Quote from: Gareth on March 28, 2013, 11:39:48 AM

Spot on. 

Also, the plant and expertise, techniques and so on for moving utilities are entirely different from those required for laying street-running track.

The actual detail design installation drawings for the street running section probably won't be ready yet, because they don't need to be.  The track systems, components etc will all be on long delivery lead times, so they aren't available anyway.  Likewise, why would you install the track now anyway just to incur two years damage before it's in use?  Not to mention why would you spend money on materials earlier than you need to, that would inflate the cost of the job.
Don't you start.

Kevin

Quote from: The Real 4778 on May 21, 2013, 06:53:21 PM
Not to mention why would you spend money on materials earlier than you need to, that would inflate the cost of the job.

But would it also inflate the cost of the job to have to dig up the road twice?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk