News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Diamond Bus - Discussion

Started by Ash, March 20, 2012, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromatt1

I caught Eclipse 30860 on the 146 yesterday. According to Tony's fleetlist 30860 is at Kidderminster?

Cedric

Quote from: nitromatt1 on December 22, 2013, 10:12:08 AM
I caught Eclipse 30860 on the 146 yesterday. According to Tony's fleetlist 30860 is at Kidderminster?
it was at Kidderminster it was replaced by 30850 but not even seen that for a while
diamond 8\10/125/292

PM

Quote from: Winston on December 21, 2013, 07:15:36 PM
Quote from: dannygill on December 21, 2013, 05:49:10 PM
Herd yesterday that diamond are buying first worcester any ideas??

There were rumours a while ago which was put down to canteen talk that Worcester & Hereford could be up for sale, if they are I would have thought some of the bigger groups would be more interested in these operations

It would re-create some of the broken links if Rotala were to buy it, but it think it's unlikely to happen

It would indeed. I would expect Stagecoach to bid for Hereford and hopefully rotala would try to acquire Worcester but I guess it is only speculation-don't know if first's asset disposal programme is behind it or not?

PM

The 3/X3 certainly should not be running in pairs in the inward direction towards Kidderminster as the buses are evenly spaced from Areley Kings at 7/22/37/52 mins past the hour. However, towards Areley kings they run at 1/16/23/46 mins past the hour and 23 mins past is the X3 and so there is only a 7 minute gap which if the 16 past is running 5 late and the 23 slightly early then that would explain the bunching. I hope I'm looking at the right timetable though-it is the diamond kidderminster timetable booklet this is in...

winston

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 22, 2013, 11:09:00 AM
Quote from: Winston on December 21, 2013, 07:15:36 PM
Quote from: dannygill on December 21, 2013, 05:49:10 PM
Herd yesterday that diamond are buying first worcester any ideas??

There were rumours a while ago which was put down to canteen talk that Worcester & Hereford could be up for sale, if they are I would have thought some of the bigger groups would be more interested in these operations

It would re-create some of the broken links if Rotala were to buy it, but it think it's unlikely to happen

It would indeed. I would expect Stagecoach to bid for Hereford and hopefully rotala would try to acquire Worcester but I guess it is only speculation-don't know if first's asset disposal programme is behind it or not?

At the last count First Group have said that the re-positioning of the UK bus portfolio had been completed i.e. no more asset disposals. Part of that could be down to the sale prices achieved & potential Oft interest even in the smallest of deals.  But First Group has also since attracted unwanted attention from a US activist hedge funds that is putting pressure on the group to float First Student in the USA & dispose of Greyhound. As HD & WR aren't really core businesses within First due to their size it's always possible. It depends how much an effect on breaking up Wyvern has had on turnover & profits, particularly at WR plus the potentially forthcoming cuts in council cuts in Worcester.

I think First Group are under even more pressure to win the WCML franchise and they can't afford to loose the Scotrail Franchise either, NX Group have recruited Mary Grant to bid/operate the Scotrail franchise should their bid be successful. Mary was originally responsible for winning the Scotrail franchise for First Group & successfully grew the business

iamwilljh92

Oh god! If that is the case and Rotala do buy out Worcester (et al) no doubt we'll have more First rubbish being transferred to Kiddy mindshew I'm not completely slagging off First as the 3 long Darts that were ex-First (30930, VX54 MUC); (30931, VX54 MUO) and (30932, VX54 MUP) are absolutely fantastic and they run superbly even though they recently turned 9-years-old on 1st December so if a takeover does indeed happen then bring on more of them wonderful buses love them.

StourportSam

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 22, 2013, 11:15:09 AM
The 3/X3 certainly should not be running in pairs in the inward direction towards Kidderminster as the buses are evenly spaced from Areley Kings at 7/22/37/52 mins past the hour. However, towards Areley kings they run at 1/16/23/46 mins past the hour and 23 mins past is the X3 and so there is only a 7 minute gap which if the 16 past is running 5 late and the 23 slightly early then that would explain the bunching. I hope I'm looking at the right timetable though-it is the diamond kidderminster timetable booklet this is in...

No, no, you have the wrong idea I'm afraid!

The 3 route is terrible for traffic at peak times coming through Stourport, where the one way system causes problems, and especially on the Stourport road coming in to Kidderminster where it is normal for traffic to be at standstill moving very slowly for about a mile due to annoying traffic lights. The peak timetable doesn't accommodate for this and if one bus is held up in traffic then the one supposedly 15 mins behind catches up then there you go!

When First increased the frequency of the 3/X3 to every 12 mins in early 2012 it was even worse. I seriously saw four buses following each other around Areley Kings one day. It is not uncommon for there to be gaps of 30-40 mins in the timetable due to traffic, schools, etc.

Trust me, I use this route most days of the week and have been for the past 6 years!

An X3 following a 3 or vice-versa happens regularly.

PM

Quote from: Will on December 22, 2013, 05:33:08 PM
Oh god! If that is the case and Rotala do buy out Worcester (et al) no doubt we'll have more First rubbish being transferred to Kiddy mindshew I'm not completely slagging off First as the 3 long Darts that were ex-First (30930, VX54 MUC); (30931, VX54 MUO) and (30932, VX54 MUP) are absolutely fantastic and they run superbly even though they recently turned 9-years-old on 1st December so if a takeover does indeed happen then bring on more of them wonderful buses love them.

Unfortunately the rest of that batch are with the potteries fleet...

PM

Quote from: StourportSam on December 22, 2013, 07:49:41 PM

No, no, you have the wrong idea I'm afraid!

The 3 route is terrible for traffic at peak times coming through Stourport, where the one way system causes problems, and especially on the Stourport road coming in to Kidderminster where it is normal for traffic to be at standstill moving very slowly for about a mile due to annoying traffic lights. The peak timetable doesn't accommodate for this and if one bus is held up in traffic then the one supposedly 15 mins behind catches up then there you go!

When First increased the frequency of the 3/X3 to every 12 mins in early 2012 it was even worse. I seriously saw four buses following each other around Areley Kings one day. It is not uncommon for there to be gaps of 30-40 mins in the timetable due to traffic, schools, etc.

Trust me, I use this route most days of the week and have been for the past 6 years!

An X3 following a 3 or vice-versa happens regularly.

Must admit my theories were entirely based on the timetable and I hoped that what you describe isn't a regular occurrence but by the sounds of it it is... as you say the timetable doesnt allow for the peaks which is a big error.
Sorry Sam I certainly was not doubting your knowledge about the situation. I was just as someone not living in the area looking at the timetable to see what a big problem it is as there are fairly big gaps so this kind of thing really should not be happening. You highlight a good point though and that is the importance of local management who can see and respond quickly to the types of issues mentioned

winston

Worcester's 3 x Darts from the same batch have been moved on to Potteries

Quote from: Will on December 22, 2013, 05:33:08 PM

PM

Diamond fares for 2014 up on the website-lot of them frozen including Worcestershire and the day returns and the price of the daysaver cut by 30p!

Lukeee

Quote from: DiamondDart on December 19, 2013, 09:58:00 PM
Would have thought there is some money in it as a nice short route run at a high frequency. It has just been badly run over the past few years and gradually become unviable...

High frequency? it runs every 60 minutes

winston

Quote from: Lukeee on December 23, 2013, 09:54:07 PM
Would have thought there is some money in it as a nice short route run at a high frequency. It has just been badly run over the past few years and gradually become unviable...

DD means as its a short run it should be run at a high frequency

PM

Quote from: Winston on December 23, 2013, 09:59:20 PM
Quote from: Lukeee on December 23, 2013, 09:54:07 PM

DD means as its a short run it should be run at a high frequency

Precisely

Cedric

today where unable to keep to times as the traffic in the wyre forest area was crazy . it as affecting all routes  and operators do not know how long it was taking the X3 to get to Redditch because lunch time it was taking buses a hour just to get to Kidderminster from stourport , and my bus the 10 which comes from bewdley on the 2 was  50 mins let getting to Kidderminster  suppose
it was the same all over the diamond area
diamond 8\10/125/292

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk