News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Diamond Bus - Discussion

Started by Ash, March 20, 2012, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sh4318

Diamond have been "attacking" NXWM for years haven't they... 9, 74, 87, 120? If there is competition on the 002, I hope the other company provide an evening and Sunday service
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

winston

Quote from: bususer12 on July 30, 2013, 11:08:09 PM

Quote from: Peter123 on July 30, 2013, 10:08:15 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 30, 2013, 10:00:34 PM
Saw two 002's today while waiting for the X96 at Merry Hill and both left packed as it usually does. I really think there is  potential for NXWM to start on the 002 as it clearly is a money earner and is usually busy everytime i see it. Maybe NX should consider maybe competing on there?

What a ridiculous post. Maybe because diamond and ludlows built up a successful route NXWM can just barge onto the route, abuse its monopoly. WHAT IS THE NEED?? Diamond are doing a good job on the route-running times need adjusting but what is peoples problem with diamond? i really dont understand why you and someone else on here said that NX should have a go on the 002 or another of diamonds routes? Why can people not accept another company like diamond or hansons does a good job and not think in some kind of weird way that NX should operate every single bus route in the west midlands just so the travelcard mob can descend on the route. I would far rather diamond ran the route than NX try to barge on the route and cheaply time their buses ahead of diamond like on the 56.

Like what Diamond did to Hansons on the 226, barge in and time buses 5 minutes infront, and run off route?

Or in pre-Diamond days when BCC tried unsuccessfully to run Ludlow's off the road by registering 5 mins in front on every one of their routes

At the end of the end day, it works both ways, Diamond can't expect to compete on traditional NXWM services and not receive competition in return on routes they enjoy a monopoly on/do well from. Most are suggesting that someone possibly NXWM should start a competing service on the 002 as most feel that Diamond have missed the opportunity to extend the hours of operation to match centre opening times & introduce a Sunday time service at a decent frequency

Dylan4579

This is what happens when you get a monopoly. Half of the people here want a monopoly so they can buy travel cards but aren't looking at the bigger picuture

Steveminor

All this talk of competition on the 002 diamons do have other routes all to themselves.
Diamond aren't really all that good at competing with anyone there seems like no business will for a fight & so give up too easily. IMO that's what happens when money hungry investors are involved with a company.

winston

Quote from: Steveminor on July 31, 2013, 01:28:19 PM
All this talk of competition on the 002 diamons do have other routes all to themselves.
Diamond aren't really all that good at competing with anyone there seems like no business will for a fight & so give up too easily. IMO that's what happens when money hungry investors are involved with a company.

Diamond don't really have many other routes worth competing on that they operate commercially other than possibly the 56 (which now has competition from NX 936), 119, 202 or any of the Signature or Redditch routes

sonic84

Diamond have missed a trick not running an evening and sunday service on the 002, even if just hourly.  It is not just the Merry Hill end which is busy... the Weoley Castle - Halesowen section also picks up decent loads.

I would personally hate to see the 002 have competition from NXWM as I don't think the passenger loyalty is there for Diamond as it was for Ludlows, and can see it ending with Diamond withdrawing from the route.

PM

Quote from: dgss1 on July 31, 2013, 12:33:44 PM
This is what happens when you get a monopoly. Half of the people here want a monopoly so they can buy travel cards but aren't looking at the bigger picuture

Finally someone I agree with  :)

PM

Quote from: sonic84 on July 31, 2013, 06:52:33 PM
Diamond have missed a trick not running an evening and sunday service on the 002, even if just hourly.  It is not just the Merry Hill end which is busy... the Weoley Castle - Halesowen section also picks up decent loads.

I would personally hate to see the 002 have competition from NXWM as I don't think the passenger loyalty is there for Diamond as it was for Ludlows, and can see it ending with Diamond withdrawing from the route.

Same here unfortunately and I agree with Steve about investors potentially ruining competing bus operators.

PM

Don't know if it has been reported yet but 30454 Y211HWJ has had swift 226 branding removed and is still in the base red livery with DIAMOND logos applied-from now on, unbranded buses on the 226 are no longer rare and it seems like rotala have realised these buses were being worked too hard-better to spread the wear over more buses as opposed to darts branded which run a long and demanding route day and night

Stu

Quote from: Winston on July 31, 2013, 05:17:18 PM

Diamond don't really have many other routes worth competing on that they operate commercially other than possibly the 56 (which now has competition from NX 936), 119, 202 or any of the Signature or Redditch routes

Yes, you'll find that apart from the routes they already compete with NXWM on (like the 4, 16 and 50), the vast majority of the other routes they operate are the ones that NX simply weren't interested in operating commercially, and that includes the Solihull Signature services, 30, S2 and S3.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

PM

Quote from: Stu on July 31, 2013, 07:47:56 PM
Quote from: Winston on July 31, 2013, 05:17:18 PM

Yes, you'll find that apart from the routes they already compete with NXWM on (like the 4, 16 and 50), the vast majority of the other routes they operate are the ones that NX simply weren't interested in operating commercially, and that includes the Solihull Signature services, 30, S2 and S3.

Cant think much in Kidderminster other than the X3 would support competition and Redditch there are the matchborough's/51 and 55/56. Signature network seems unlikely as NX ditched it as you have said Stu and diamond already have competition on the bham routes and also the west brom network is a pretty even match between operators-people seem to catch what comes first on 40/42/43. 4 is already very competitive so other than the 202/002/142/119/108/401E/226? cant really see what there would be competition on

Ash

I mentioned not so long ago about debranding the 226 swift darts as like mentioned they are being worked too hard. NXWM tried there own 305 service which took the same route as the 401E but metrobuses and b6le were mainly used it soon got withdrawn.

PM

Quote from: Ash on July 31, 2013, 10:17:53 PM
I mentioned not so long ago about debranding the 226 swift darts as like mentioned they are being worked too hard. NXWM tried there own 305 service which took the same route as the 401E but metrobuses and b6le were mainly used it soon got withdrawn.

Its weird isnt it Ash how certainly we amongst others mentioned it and then it suddenly happened. Added to that one of the cadets with various bits of black diamond livery has had all the logos removed which I also suggested-get all the black/red/blue diamond logos off and put the smart new ones on

Didnt know about the 305-must be a bit before my time lol

winston

Quote from: Peter123 on July 31, 2013, 10:27:16 PM
Quote from: Ash on July 31, 2013, 10:17:53 PM

Its weird isnt it Ash how certainly we amongst others mentioned it and then it suddenly happened. Added to that one of the cadets with various bits of black diamond livery has had all the logos removed which I also suggested-get all the black/red/blue diamond logos off and put the smart new ones on

Didnt know about the 305-must be a bit before my time lol

Not weird at all Peter, Rotala read these message boards but don't participate...... other than on very odd occassions via Tony

Ash

http://www.flickr.com/photos/john-s-91/5540528404/
There is the a photo of a b6le on the 305 a couple of years back the competing service to diamonds 401E

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk