News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Diamond Bus - Discussion

Started by Ash, March 20, 2012, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Stu on July 29, 2013, 08:57:47 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on July 28, 2013, 08:08:26 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 28, 2013, 07:47:15 PM
Quote from: dannygill on July 28, 2013, 07:27:49 PM
If I had a few hundred thousand of pounds spare I would buy those citaros and stick them straight on the 51 and the 529! both routes (51 with a very minor adjustment) can accomadate them and they are iconic too (thanks to borris)! The can pick up massive loads and with the right marketing the Mercedes badge on the front can work wonders!

Ive been screaming out for 4 years for another operator to come on the 51, and with even further cutbacks on the route by nxwm I really think there is a chance for someone to come it! I would love rotala but more realisticly think Arriva!

If you think a little round symbol on the front of a bus will attract passenger to wait for you you are very much mistaken. Nobody,  other than bus enthusiasts give a **** who makes their buses, or if they do it is because they want British built buses to keep British people in work..

Perhaps you might like to tell what the cutback are you are on about. There are more buses running between Walsall and Birmingham on the 51/X51 now than there has ever been before with extra buses still to be introduced between the Scott Arms and Birmingham in a months time.

I would like to bet anybody competing against NXWM on the 51 with these would be off within a few months. The bulk of the passengers are between Perry Barr and Birmingham where you have to find a gap in between the 3.5 minute frequency of the 51/33 to find cash payers and a lot of people between the Clifton and Walsall will wait for an X51. Competeing against the X51 you would have to provide a very good service as a good percentage of X51 passengers have travelcards.

There is good reason why Diamond came off the 51 and why no-one else has gone on there. It is because it is a difficult route to compete and make money on.

Not going to argue about the 51 bit as I agree with Tony but people do care about the badge thats why oxford bus make a great play of having mercs on the X3 with branding saying "on a merc" and people look at this and get the impression of luxury. It is a marketing tool that can and has been used to great effect

You may have a point, but speaking as a monthly-paying NX Faresaver pass holder, if a clapped out old B10L suddenly appeared on the 37 (which did used to happen!) I'd get on that, rather than waiting for one of the 'shiny newer' buses to appear.

The Oxford thing is more about attracting car drivers onto an already successful service. A new start up competition service normally needs to go to one or other of the extremes. As cheap as possible like Travel Express with buses with holes on the floor. Or luxurious to better the existing operator and make people wait for you. An eleven year old bendibus from London with not very many uncomfortable seats in is neither. NXWMs Enviro 400s are far nicer inside with more seats AND cheaper to operate

PM

Quote from: Tony on July 29, 2013, 09:30:30 PM
Quote from: Stu on July 29, 2013, 08:57:47 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on July 28, 2013, 08:08:26 PM
Quote from: Tony on July 28, 2013, 07:47:15 PM
Quote from: dannygill on July 28, 2013, 07:27:49 PM
If I had a few hundred thousand of pounds spare I would buy those citaros and stick them straight on the 51 and the 529! both routes (51 with a very minor adjustment) can accomadate them and they are iconic too (thanks to borris)! The can pick up massive loads and with the right marketing the Mercedes badge on the front can work wonders!

Ive been screaming out for 4 years for another operator to come on the 51, and with even further cutbacks on the route by nxwm I really think there is a chance for someone to come it! I would love rotala but more realisticly think Arriva!

If you think a little round symbol on the front of a bus will attract passenger to wait for you you are very much mistaken. Nobody,  other than bus enthusiasts give a **** who makes their buses, or if they do it is because they want British built buses to keep British people in work..

Perhaps you might like to tell what the cutback are you are on about. There are more buses running between Walsall and Birmingham on the 51/X51 now than there has ever been before with extra buses still to be introduced between the Scott Arms and Birmingham in a months time.

I would like to bet anybody competing against NXWM on the 51 with these would be off within a few months. The bulk of the passengers are between Perry Barr and Birmingham where you have to find a gap in between the 3.5 minute frequency of the 51/33 to find cash payers and a lot of people between the Clifton and Walsall will wait for an X51. Competeing against the X51 you would have to provide a very good service as a good percentage of X51 passengers have travelcards.

There is good reason why Diamond came off the 51 and why no-one else has gone on there. It is because it is a difficult route to compete and make money on.

Not going to argue about the 51 bit as I agree with Tony but people do care about the badge thats why oxford bus make a great play of having mercs on the X3 with branding saying "on a merc" and people look at this and get the impression of luxury. It is a marketing tool that can and has been used to great effect

You may have a point, but speaking as a monthly-paying NX Faresaver pass holder, if a clapped out old B10L suddenly appeared on the 37 (which did used to happen!) I'd get on that, rather than waiting for one of the 'shiny newer' buses to appear.

The Oxford thing is more about attracting car drivers onto an already successful service. A new start up competition service normally needs to go to one or other of the extremes. As cheap as possible like Travel Express with buses with holes on the floor. Or luxurious to better the existing operator and make people wait for you. An eleven year old bendibus from London with not very many uncomfortable seats in is neither. NXWMs Enviro 400s are far nicer inside with more seats AND cheaper to operate

I agree that maybe the citaros are neither end of the market really-I would never use citaros to compete on the 51. I would go cheap and reliable with euro3 darts on a route like the 63 or 17/97 possibly even a few more buses on the 50  :P Starting up routes with mercs like yourbus do is one hell of a gamble and one that can only be afforded by people with substantial financial backing.

Trident 4609

Saw two 002's today while waiting for the X96 at Merry Hill and both left packed as it usually does. I really think there is  potential for NXWM to start on the 002 as it clearly is a money earner and is usually busy everytime i see it. Maybe NX should consider maybe competing on there?

Trident 4609

Sorry :( Only making a suggestion but can't obviously do that on here as i get slated  :'( Thanks for theunessicery upset :(

Trident 4609

Oh ok that is your opinion and yes i never took that into acount (Just a quick thought plus i'm half asleep) and i now see your point and is very true but please don't lay into me like that by saying it wad rediculous. Could of put it in a say polite or nicer way. I feel like i have done something bad or something which i don't think i should have to feel. At the end of the day its a forum and i am entitled to an opinion

Trident 4609

Sorry if you took it that way peter :( I wasn't trying to attack diamond as i am not that sort of person so i only innocently posted it and never maliciously meant anything by it. All i'm saying is basically yes you have your opinion but i don't want someone to make me feel rubbish by telling me (Seems like you are shouting at me although i don't feel like argueing) that it was rediculous. Could of just politley said that it maybe wasn't a good idea.

I think diamond a a great business and they do great on the 002 and maybe misjudged my facts so very sorry if it offended if thats what it did peter?

richie

Quote from: Peter123 on July 30, 2013, 10:08:15 PM
Quote from: Trident 4609 on July 30, 2013, 10:00:34 PM
Saw two 002's today while waiting for the X96 at Merry Hill and both left packed as it usually does. I really think there is  potential for NXWM to start on the 002 as it clearly is a money earner and is usually busy everytime i see it. Maybe NX should consider maybe competing on there?

What a ridiculous post. Maybe because diamond and ludlows built up a successful route NXWM can just barge onto the route, abuse its monopoly. WHAT IS THE NEED?? Diamond are doing a good job on the route-running times need adjusting but what is peoples problem with diamond? i really dont understand why you and someone else on here said that NX should have a go on the 002 or another of diamonds routes? Why can people not accept another company like diamond or hansons does a good job and not think in some kind of weird way that NX should operate every single bus route in the west midlands just so the travelcard mob can descend on the route. I would far rather diamond ran the route than NX try to barge on the route and cheaply time their buses ahead of diamond like on the 56.

Dog eat dog and in fairness diamond tend to bite first and generally more than they can chew.

Ash

Generally NXWM have never been that competitive with diamond they just seem to get on with there business on the services they compete with diamond. I ask the question can NXWM afford diamond to shrink to nothing as then it will be a monopoly and surely the OFT would have to step in as who would there be left to compete against NXWM. NXWM are trying out the 4H diamond's old 417 and diamonds old 404H now the 4M but both operators don't try and do everything to get in front as both operators try to keep to time.

bususer12

What a ridiculous post. Maybe because diamond and ludlows built up a successful route NXWM can just barge onto the route, abuse its monopoly. WHAT IS THE NEED?? Diamond are doing a good job on the route-running times need adjusting but what is peoples problem with diamond? i really dont understand why you and someone else on here said that NX should have a go on the 002 or another of diamonds routes? Why can people not accept another company like diamond or hansons does a good job and not think in some kind of weird way that NX should operate every single bus route in the west midlands just so the travelcard mob can descend on the route. I would far rather diamond ran the route than NX try to barge on the route and cheaply time their buses ahead of diamond like on the 56.

Like what Diamond did to Hansons on the 226, barge in and time buses 5 minutes infront, and run off route?

Ash

That soon got changed though and now every 15 minutes so has improved the service in terms of frequency for people with an n network/bus ticket or a concessionary pass thats if the bus makes a complete journey.

Steveminor

A little birdie tells me Diamond are about to get some competition.
Watch the registrations.

nitromatt1

Quote from: Steveminor on July 31, 2013, 07:55:29 AM
Watch the registrations.

Hope it's the 002!

Sh4318

Quote from: richie on July 30, 2013, 10:30:17 PM

Dog eat dog and in fairness diamond tend to bite first and generally more than they can chew.

Yeah, just look at the 226
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

PM

Quote from: bususer12 on July 30, 2013, 11:08:09 PM

Like what Diamond did to Hansons on the 226, barge in and time buses 5 minutes infront, and run off route?

I hated it when they did that to be fair-the worst thing I think diamond have ever done so I agree

PM

Quote from: nitromatt1 on July 31, 2013, 09:33:56 AM
Quote from: Steveminor on July 31, 2013, 07:55:29 AM
Watch the registrations.

Hope it's the 002!

I certainly hope that NX dont attack one of diamonds most profitable routes. They are doing a good job on the route so no need and dont know why theres a need to hope its the 002.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk