News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Next Stop Announcments

Started by Jack D, February 24, 2018, 09:25:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MasterPlan

Quote from: BusDriverBosh on December 09, 2023, 02:22:51 PMIdea for the NSA,
When you're arriving at the terminus, can it say:
"Next stop Solihull Station, where this bus terminates"?
Or
"Next stop Chelmsley Wood, where this bus terminates"?

I think this will really help people who don't know where the terminus is, such as tourists.
Could majorly help on 'E' routes too.
Could just change the terminus stop to say "Last stop" instead of next stop.
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

Rachvince53

Or

I think this will really help people who don't know where the terminus is, such as tourists.
Don't see why not, I mean they have done so on trains for a long time now. 

Stu

Or

That's actually helpful and informative, and definitely benefits passengers.

I thought this was done already, though I must admit I've not travelled on many routes to their terminus to confirm this.

Certainly on travelling into Birmingham city centre, the announcements get 'confused' when the driver logs onto the next journey in advance of the terminus.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

BBS

QuoteAs far as I am aware, AG originally had 10 Platinum MMCs, but only had NSAs recorded for the 5 route as (at the time) it was their only Platinum service.
The X12 also did back when it was AG
Local Bus Routes: 4, 4A, A15, A16, 41,1,11A,11C, A9, A12

BusDriverBosh

Quote from: MasterPlan on December 09, 2023, 07:49:46 PMCould just change the terminus stop to say "Last stop" instead of next stop.
I think "next stop..." would be more beneficial as people are used to hearing "next stop".
If "last stop" was used, people may mistakenly hear "next stop" as they're so used to it. 
Quote from: Stu on December 09, 2023, 08:36:49 PMThat's actually helpful and informative, and definitely benefits passengers.

I thought this was done already, though I must admit I've not travelled on many routes to their terminus to confirm this.

Certainly on travelling into Birmingham city centre, the announcements get 'confused' when the driver logs onto the next journey in advance of the terminus.
I was in Edinburgh last week, travelling on a lot of Lothian services (mainly to the terminus), and I kept hearing "...where this bus terminates." so it got me thinking 'why don't we have this?'
Bus Driver
61 - Birmingham ➡️ Frankley
63 - Birmingham ➡️ Longbridge ➡️ Frankley

mesub

It looks like over Christmas, the rollout of the new style rear destination displays, as well as the update in stop announcements (for certain stops) has been expanded (at least at BC). I suspect it was done at the same time as removing the WiFi from the buses.

There do seem to be some teething issues though. Whilst the audio plays fine, the internal LEDs seems to display the information for a split second before going blank. They only  properly work when the bus has reached a stop (i.e., the bus is at a bus stop with its doors open).
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield
X20 - Birmingham Via Longbridge, Northfield & QE Hospital / University

MasterPlan

Yeah there appeared to have been a mass rollout across BC vehicles yesterday. As it wasn't like that the day before.
Regarding the screen, to be fair I was on 6845 yesterday and the NSAs stayed on the screen in between stops rather than disappearing so I'm sure it will be sorted across the board soon. I am wondering whether buses with long-term dead NSA such as 6870 and 6883 will be fixed with this update.
Also I saw a 95 go passed me yesterday morning and I was surprised it didn't have NSA I thought more routes would gain them in the new update, especially as BC only has 3 routes that don't have them.

Wba_lad

Now that Dudley bus station has closed and buses are using coronation gardens, will the announcements be changed for the 18 months, or will they still continue to say Dudley bus station?

mesub

Quote from: Wba_lad on January 14, 2024, 11:29:41 AMNow that Dudley bus station has closed and buses are using coronation gardens, will the announcements be changed for the 18 months, or will they still continue to say Dudley bus station?

They'll probably be updated, give or take a few months.
23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

MasterPlan

Quote from: MasterPlan on January 06, 2024, 10:24:59 AMI am wondering whether buses with long-term dead NSA such as 6870 and 6883 will be fixed with this update.

The answer is no. I wonder if they are beyond fixing.

LR55LTR

I noticed that 6924 has some new next stop announcements. I'm guessing these will roll out to other PN platinum buses over the next few weeks? 
I do like the more natural feel that they have in comparison to the older ones. Though I think this is only really noticeable if you've been on one then the other

Westy

Noticed some of the 529's announcements have been changed in the Willenhall area.

mesub

Internal screen for announcements seems to be working in BC buses now.

23 - Bartley Green
76 - Northfield

Jack

Quote from: mesub on January 26, 2024, 07:27:32 PMInternal screen for announcements seems to be working in BC buses now.

Theres no flickering on and off anymore which is nice, but they've now done away with the Capital Letters which is strange.

D

I was driving 7535 earlier today, which still had the previous set of announcements and honestly, I still prefer how Elinor says "6 to(ooh) Solihull" rather than the rather robotic "6, to, Solihull".

Although that being said, I do like the additional information added to some of the stops on the updated announcements. (e.g. "Saracens Head, for Parkgate Shopping Centre"). 
Lokale Linien:
27: Frankley nach Yardley Wood über Bournville.
61: Birmingham nach Frankley über Bristol Straße.
(zu fuß in 20 minuten) 49: Rubery Great Park nach Bahnhof Solihull.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk