News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

select bus

Started by mranon, March 13, 2013, 12:12:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie A

Current fleet 

1 SR13BOF
2 MX55WDJ
3 YJ08PKY
4 FJ56YBV
5 FX04TJY
6 MX53FEG
7 YN07EYD
8 BD14KXU
9 WA09FHK
10 MIG8170
11 SV60CCX
12 YJ15AAU
14 NK56EPO
15 YX13BNU
16 YJ54BTV - Withdrawn
17 LX06AHA
18 YJ07JWD
19 LK04NNB
20 LK04NNH
21 KX55UDD
22 GX06DXA 
23 FJ06ZTG
24 YN63BYO
25 YJ56JXX
26 FJ06ZTH
27 SV60CCO 
28 KX58GTF
29 KX09CHZ
30 FJ06ZTL 
31 FJ06ZTM
32 KX08HMD 
33 YJ57BOH
34 YJ05WCV
35 YJ64DZL
36 SGZ3534
37 YJ08PKX
38 YX65RHJ 
40 GW65GSW 
41 JW65GSW 

15 SK52OJG - Withdrawn

3 MX53FEH, 4 BA07GHA, 12 KX06LNU, 27 FJ55BWD all scrapped 

Tony

Just waiting for a train at Stafford and I noticed JW65GSW which I need a photo of, is on the 9 due at the Station at 0655 according to the timetable, so walk outside to see it go past at 0646 9 minutes early 

ntw456

Quote from: Tony on November 23, 2023, 07:07:15 AMJust waiting for a train at Stafford and I noticed JW65GSW which I need a photo of, is on the 9 due at the Station at 0655 according to the timetable, so walk outside to see it go past at 0646 9 minutes early
The train station isn't a timing point, we get 20 minutes from highfields into town at that time of the morning and obviously if you have no traffic then you get into town ahead of schedule. So it may of appeared early but I'm sure it would of left it's first timing point on time.

As always if you have a complaint feel free to email the company and I'm sure it will be dealt with accordingly. 

Tony

Quote from: ntw456 on November 23, 2023, 07:33:40 PMThe train station isn't a timing point, we get 20 minutes from highfields into town at that time of the morning and obviously if you have no traffic then you get into town ahead of schedule. So it may of appeared early but I'm sure it would of left it's first timing point on time.

As always if you have a complaint feel free to email the company and I'm sure it will be dealt with accordingly.
6 minutes for a journey timetabled to take 15 minutes must mean the scheduling is not correct them (06:40 journey from Highfields at the station at 06:46?)

Mayfield

If a bus is advertised to depart at a time then that's the time it should leave there, poor excuse to use it not being a timing point. Wonder why bus usage is dropping 

Rachvince53

Quote from: Mayfield on November 23, 2023, 08:50:15 PMIf a bus is advertised to depart at a time then that's the time it should leave there, poor excuse to use it not being a timing point. Wonder why bus usage is dropping
I think Tony has explained this better a while ago on the NX feed but buses are only required to observe timing points, not individual stops. I agree that in an ideal world the time the bus is due at each stop irrespective of whether its a timing point should be the time it leaves said stop but that's not how it works. 

IMarkeh

Quote from: ntw456 on November 23, 2023, 07:33:40 PMAs always if you have a complaint feel free to email the company and I'm sure it will be dealt with accordingly.
It won't do anything. Select, like every cowboy operator, ignores all emails

Quote from: Tony on November 23, 2023, 07:47:12 PM6 minutes for a journey timetabled to take 15 minutes must mean the scheduling is not correct them (06:40 journey from Highfields at the station at 06:46?)
First issue is poor scheduling, as per with Select, no one has the skills to create a proper timetable which reflects the differing traffic conditions. Secondly, They have specifically done the timetables with no intermediate timing points because they put operational convenience over passengers. They want it so that the traffic commissioner can't have them for late running but also don't want to put in timing points because it would upset their drivers who all want to floor it to get a longer fag break at the end.

In response to your journey though, purely based off bustimes tracking, it seems to show the bus left Highfield 2 minutes early.

Quote from: Mayfield on November 23, 2023, 08:50:15 PMIf a bus is advertised to depart at a time then that's the time it should leave there, poor excuse to use it not being a timing point. Wonder why bus usage is dropping 
It is not suitable for every single stop to be a timing point however it is good to have a timing point at regular points so that the times can be more relied upon and then ensure that the buses leave the timing points at the correct times (another thing thing that these twits can't seem to handle. God help them if the traffic commissioner turned up checking punctuality, they'd be shut down in minutes)

Mayfield

I bet 99.9% of bus users don't know that as they wait for a bus that left "early" leaving them stranded.

mikestone

The only time on the timetable is from Highfield - all the others are surely an invention of bustimes.org?
;
No normal punter will expect a bus going to Goal Square to wait time at Stafford station

Rachvince53

Quote from: mikestone on November 25, 2023, 01:58:29 PMThe only time on the timetable is from Highfield - all the others are surely an invention of bustimes.org?
;
No normal punter will expect a bus going to Goal Square to wait time at Stafford station
Not an invention of bustimes.org but an indication of what time the bus should be there based on the information supplied by SelectBus.  However the actual timings points are indeed those shown on the Select Bus Services timetable, ie Stafford Town Centre , Moss Pitts and Highfields.

IMarkeh

Quote from: mikestone on November 25, 2023, 01:58:29 PMThe only time on the timetable is from Highfield - all the others are surely an invention of bustimes.org?
;
Bustimes only shows all stops because there are less than 15 stops in total. IF there are more stops, the timetable goes to show timing points only (similar to the outbound route).

As for your second point, why not? D&G do it on the Sunday 101. It happens in many areas for a major point such as a railway station to be a timing point, even if that stop is only a few minutes away from the terminus. The best way to avoid buses waiting time there though is to do a proper schedule which takes into account the actual journey times at different times of day.

BNH2004

Jamie A

the trainbasher

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Jamie A

Optare Tempo YJ60LSL fleet number 16

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk