News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Diamond Bus - Discussion

Started by Ash, March 20, 2012, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: j789 on July 18, 2023, 09:56:15 PMAfter about 6 months of usage the rattles started, they were sluggish pulling off from junctions (like Streetdecks), poor turning circles for the size of the bus, even the MIDI version, and passengers often complained about the seats being cramped and very uncomfortable (obviously other operators may have chosen better seating on their vehicles but the First ones weren't great), the vibrations when stopped with the handbrake on and poor heating.

I know the engineers like them as they were fairly easy to maintain and had decent fuel economy but I can't see these vehicles really improving the passenger experience over what Diamond already operate.

E200s are far better.
I'd much rather a Streetlite, Diamonds current examples (68 plates upwards are very good) the older ones are naff though. But least the Streetlites just rattle as much as E200's...

MW

Quote from: j789 on July 18, 2023, 09:56:15 PMAfter about 6 months of usage the rattles started, they were sluggish pulling off from junctions (like Streetdecks), poor turning circles for the size of the bus, even the MIDI version, and passengers often complained about the seats being cramped and very uncomfortable (obviously other operators may have chosen better seating on their vehicles but the First ones weren't great), the vibrations when stopped with the handbrake on and poor heating.

I know the engineers like them as they were fairly easy to maintain and had decent fuel economy but I can't see these vehicles really improving the passenger experience over what Diamond already operate.

E200s are far better.

I disagree with E200s being far better from a drivers point of view.

Bar the gearbox, I find early Streetlites better than E200s to drive. The cab is slightly bigger on Streetlites legroom wise and at higher speed, when you eventually get there, are far more stable compared to every single E200 I've driven. E200s have always had rubbish steering.

ERZ2028 / GN14LPL when performing as they should were better to drive than the ex Central Buses E200s when they first arrived at Diamond IMO. 

The MMCs though are in a different league when coupled with the Allison gearbox.

Passenger point of view wise; yes I agree that E200s rattle less. It was usually the Emergency Exit rattling on Streetlites that was an issue.

I'm not sure which generation of Streetlite Midi you drove, but the Micro Hybrid versions from around 2015 did have a slightly better turning circle.

j789

Quote from: MW on July 19, 2023, 07:40:10 AMI disagree with E200s being far better from a drivers point of view.

Bar the gearbox, I find early Streetlites better than E200s to drive. The cab is slightly bigger on Streetlites legroom wise and at higher speed, when you eventually get there, are far more stable compared to every single E200 I've driven. E200s have always had rubbish steering.

ERZ2028 / GN14LPL when performing as they should were better to drive than the ex Central Buses E200s when they first arrived at Diamond IMO.

The MMCs though are in a different league when coupled with the Allison gearbox.

Passenger point of view wise; yes I agree that E200s rattle less. It was usually the Emergency Exit rattling on Streetlites that was an issue.

I'm not sure which generation of Streetlite Midi you drove, but the Micro Hybrid versions from around 2015 did have a slightly better turning circle.
We had a 64 plate batch of Midi Streetlites then 65 plate full size, along with a few StreetDecks. It's good to hear later vehicles were better but I'm guessing these 13 plate ones still have some of the flaws mentioned. Hopefully they have had adaptations made to them though so they are better than they were.

MW

Quote from: j789 on July 19, 2023, 07:14:38 PMWe had a 64 plate batch of Midi Streetlites then 65 plate full size, along with a few StreetDecks. It's good to hear later vehicles were better but I'm guessing these 13 plate ones still have some of the flaws mentioned. Hopefully they have had adaptations made to them though so they are better than they were.

The seats on the First spec Streetlites of that era (https://flic.kr/p/RYGvHq) are the same as Diamonds standard specification on new vehicles, so they shouldn't be any different to Streetlites that Diamond's passengers are already accustomed to, other than having a pink grab handles inside.

I can't see there being any modifications though. At most, maybe First have remapped the Gearbox to behave in a more smooth manner (as certain Arriva ops have done).

j789

Quote from: MW on July 19, 2023, 07:56:50 PMThe seats on the First spec Streetlites of that era (https://flic.kr/p/RYGvHq) are the same as Diamonds standard specification on new vehicles, so they shouldn't be any different to Streetlites that Diamond's passengers are already accustomed to, other than having a pink grab handles inside.

I can't see there being any modifications though. At most, maybe First have remapped the Gearbox to behave in a more smooth manner (as certain Arriva ops have done).
Knowing First they probably retuned the engines to make them more sluggish to increase fuel economy. However, I'm guessing if they were rental vehicles there may have been restrictions on what the company could do with the vehicles in terms of making significant changes.

MW

SK18TKF (20154) seen at Warwick Services (Northbound) earlier. The question is how far north is it heading?

https://flic.kr/p/2oQDK7C

BN

Quote from: winston on July 18, 2023, 12:07:21 PMRotala have acquired a further 10 ex First Streetlites via Ensign that are being returned off lease, they will be for Diamond WM (Depot TBC):

32284SM13NDJ
32285SM13NEO
32286SM13NEU
32287SK63KGO
32288SK63KGP
32289SK63KGU
32290SK63KGY
32291SK63KGZ
32292SK63KHA
32293SK63KHB

A number are still currently in service at First South Yorkshire
Tividale and Kidder, then release E200s to Burton and withdrawn the 05 Scanias. Would help try and tidy up number of types at each depot.

Solo1

Never know might move the other versa's over & scrap the 07 Wright Eclipse Urban's

winston

Quote from: BN on July 23, 2023, 07:31:47 AMTividale and Kidder, then release E200s to Burton and withdrawn the 05 Scanias. Would help try and tidy up number of types at each depot.
@BN not this time, if you look in the Diamond Kidderminster thread, there's a list of bus due to be withdrawn from Kiddy.

winston

Quote from: Solo1 on July 23, 2023, 09:18:27 AMNever know might move the other versa's over & scrap the 07 Wright Eclipse Urban's
Burton didn't want any more Versa's, that's why 30970 has been sold rather than transferred to Burton to join 30967. 

hlliwmai

Quote from: winston on July 23, 2023, 11:18:12 AMBurton didn't want any more Versa's, that's why 30970 has been sold rather than transferred to Burton to join 30967.

Well that's interesting as I was always under the impression that 30968, 30969, 30970 (before it was sold) would of all gone to Burton at some point, but from your comments @winston I assume the last 2 (968/969) will spend there days/years/months (delete where appropriate) splitting there time between Tivi & Tamworth now

Solo1

How come they don't want any more versa's & wonder if the ones at Burton will be sold & replaced 

winston

Quote from: hlliwmai on July 23, 2023, 12:35:08 PMWell that's interesting as I was always under the impression that 30968, 30969, 30970 (before it was sold) would of all gone to Burton at some point, but from your comments @winston I assume the last 2 (968/969) will spend there days/years/months (delete where appropriate) splitting there time between Tivi & Tamworth now
I was expecting 30968-70 would join Burton, but when 30970 became available for transfer, Burton didn't want any more buses. 

Solo1

Could of sent the versa's there to replace the 05 buses at Burton 

Tony

Quote from: Solo1 on July 23, 2023, 02:55:59 PMCould of sent the versa's there to replace the 05 buses at Burton
Didn't you read Winston's reply?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk