News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Diamond Bus - Discussion

Started by Ash, March 20, 2012, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hlliwmai

Quote from: monkeyjoe on October 15, 2022, 11:26:51 AMI read somewhere the 94 is getting the chop too in Jan 23.

I think that's probably just chinese whispers as that certainly hasn't been published on that list 

Solo1

Quote from: hlliwmai on October 15, 2022, 05:17:05 PMI think that's probably just chinese whispers as that certainly hasn't been published on that list
All the ones listed are subsided in part or all I think Ur find & 94 is commercial 

hlliwmai

Quote from: Solo1 on October 15, 2022, 05:23:08 PMAll the ones listed are subsided in part or all I think Ur find & 94 is commercial
So are a lot of Diamond routes lol 

Quote from: hlliwmai on October 15, 2022, 05:17:05 PMI think that's probably just chinese whispers as that certainly hasn't been published on that list

Page 9. 
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Justin Tyme

Diamond have deregistered the 94 from 1 Jan 2023 in N&P for 14 October.  See page 11: -

Isle of Stroma

I'm only surprised that it's taken that long. I said to Steve shortly after the takeover, words to the effect of 'that'll be going (the 94) before long', the lackadaisical way the 17 & 97 petered out told you all you needed to know.

Stu

Quote from: Isle of Stroma on October 16, 2022, 09:10:20 AMI'm only surprised that it's taken that long. I said to Steve shortly after the takeover, words to the effect of 'that'll be going (the 94) before long', the lackadaisical way the 17 & 97 petered out told you all you needed to know.
It's difficult to compete commercially on a route where the rival operator can afford to commit more resources - higher capacity vehicles, more frequent service, and of course the NX Daysaver.

Relying on subsidised contract tenders is not the answer though - and that is a warning to all other smaller operators in the region. It is clear to me that some parts of the bus network are no longer meeting the requirements of passengers, so in my opinion other operators such as Diamond should get involved with TfWM in doing extensive research into how better the bus network could be developed in order to fulfil passengers needs, ie get people to where they want to go more efficiently. If that means developing and introducing new commercial routes then that's great.

The other possibility is the 'partnership' approach, but more in the sense that other operators offer journeys on routes where additional resources would be welcomed, but NX Bus aren't able to for operational reasons, for example.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

hlliwmai

@Stu, personally I think this new multi-operator ticket is going to be very bad idea  yes more passengers are going to be able to get on any bus BUT this is where the problems start and Diamond are going to be getting more "riffraff" passengers that don't want to get on the NX bus or have been refused (for whatever reason) etc plus with Diamond cutting 25% driving staff from January they're not going have many drivers to drive buses anyway and the drivers that are still there from January I can't see these tickets being favourable with the drivers that are left

Simon Dunn

We see the development the roll out of the one product as a benefit for the West Midlands travelling public.

I am not sure why you think we are cutting 25% of our driving staff from January.

Simon

hlliwmai

Quote from: Simon Dunn on October 18, 2022, 11:53:45 AMWe see the development the roll out of the one product as a benefit for the West Midlands travelling public.

I am not sure why you think we are cutting 25% of our driving staff from January.

Simon

I have received the information on good authority. 

Simon Dunn

Quote from: hlliwmai on October 18, 2022, 01:07:27 PMI have received the information on good authority.
The desire of TfWM is to move to one product and rid the market of all multi journey multi day products.

We are working towards this.  The whole West Midlands market has funding to continue to operate services in their current form until 31/12/22.  After that point I expect there will be large scale bus service changes across every operator.

TfWM would like operators frequencies to combine and compliment and if this happens all operators frequencies will adjust accordingly. At this moment in time it is difficult to predict the outcome.

Bus tracking today at YJ58FDV on the 94 was actually YJ60GJF. Another Diamond bus was running just a minute or so behind it when it arrived in City on the 14:03 to Birmingham.

If Diamond ever ran a joint service on anything like the 16 or the 50 etc in Birmingham, like they do in Walsall on the 31/32, i'm sure the current vehicles would be far lacking in capacity. There are some trips on the 94 & 50 that are run by a mellor minibus at present.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Stu

Quote from: 2206 on October 18, 2022, 06:46:33 PMIf Diamond ever ran a joint service on anything like the 16 or the 50 etc in Birmingham, like they do in Walsall on the 31/32, i'm sure the current vehicles would be far lacking in capacity. There are some trips on the 94 & 50 that are run by a mellor minibus at present.

But on the other hand, think of the overall capacity that would be lost if Diamond were to withdraw from the 16 or 50 for example.

What Simon said about the desire to "combine and compliment' pretty much echoed my thoughts I had in my earlier reply.

You used to moan all the time about the overcrowding at peak times on the X21 and X22 services, and the demands were "NX should put on more buses". NX would perhaps very much like to do that, but lets say hypothetically that they simply don't have the resources to be able to do this - not enough vehicles or drivers, or the costs of running additional journeys couldn't be justified.

And this is where other operators (not just Diamond) should be able to step in and 'compliment' by adding their own journeys on such routes. Even with full size single decks, you have an overall increase in passenger capacity, and as long as any new multi-operator ticketing system benefits the operators as well as passengers, it should theoretically be a 'win-win' situation for all parties.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

hlliwmai

When will the 3 remaining White Streetlites (20177, 20178 & 20179), be leaving the West Midlands and will they be going to Stanwell, Bolton or Preston?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk