News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Volvo B6LEs and the 636

Started by Stu, March 24, 2012, 07:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

With all the recent discussion about emissions requirements and Birmingham Central having to transfer out its Plaxton Presidents, has anyone considered the fate of the 636 service, which is currently operated with Volvo B6LEs?

Its been suggested here and elsewhere that due to the nature of this route, that only these small single-decks (and the Dennis Darts used previously) are suitable for this service, and whenever BC have sent out an Omnilink, that they can struggle in parts.

As there are no immediate plans for NXWM to purchase new 'midibuses' before the Summer, when the new emission requirements come into force, what are the plans for the 636 service? Will it be rerouted to miss out the parts that the Omnilinks struggle with, or would it be more practical to revise this route so it no longer enters the city centre, but maybe terminates at Birmingham Town Hall instead?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

There are 30 new midibuses already on order

Stu

Thats good to hear! But do you know:
a) if they will be delivered before the summer?
b) what model they will be?

Thanks!
My locals:

Tony

ilovetea4370

Personally I think it'll be E200's like the Hotel Hoppa's but nothing confirmed, just a simple guess.

Stu

No problem, I'm sure you'll be the first to let us know once you know yourself!  ;)

I quite like the look of the ADL Darts that they use in the Hotel Hoppa fleet that you pictured recently (Enviro200?), it wouldn't surprise me if they bought more of those.
My locals:

KayP

Have travel london got any more E200 darts, we could get some from there for the 636.

winston

Travel London doesn't exist anymore & was sold by NX to NED Railways who have since renamed it Abellio London

Quote from: KayP on March 25, 2012, 03:01:53 PM
Have travel london got any more E200 darts, we could get some from there for the 636.

Ossie

I guess it's the Welsh House Farm and World's End sections of the route which are the most difficult. I've ridden this route once or twice recently on a Saturday from Harborne to Halesowen, and two Midis trying to pass each other in Pitman Road was quite entertaining!  I can't imagine Omnilinks on it ....  ;D

The route could easily be diverted to cut out the dog-leg in Welsh House Farm by travelling straight up Welsh House Farm Road; similarly, diverting straight down Worlds End Road to Ridgacre Road and up the No.24 route to rejoin the existing route at the site of the old bus depot would cut out the narrow road sections.

The buses I travelled on were well patronised, it seems quite a well-used route .....

KayP

I think the Welsh House Farm part of the route definitely needs to be cut out, I've been on a B6 on that route and the driver's not gone down Welsh House Farm, but not the world's end section, it's quite widely used to my knowledge and I think omnilinks would be available to survive this part of the route

Quote from: Ossie on March 25, 2012, 04:27:50 PM
I guess it's the Welsh House Farm and World's End sections of the route which are the most difficult. I've ridden this route once or twice recently on a Saturday from Harborne to Halesowen, and two Midis trying to pass each other in Pitman Road was quite entertaining!  I can't imagine Omnilinks on it ....  ;D

The route could easily be diverted to cut out the dog-leg in Welsh House Farm by travelling straight up Welsh House Farm Road; similarly, diverting straight down Worlds End Road to Ridgacre Road and up the No.24 route to rejoin the existing route at the site of the old bus depot would cut out the narrow road sections.

The buses I travelled on were well patronised, it seems quite a well-used route .....

Liberator9

It would be good to have either ADL 200s or Wright Streetlites as both are excellent buses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk