News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Hi everyone from possible future bus driver.

Started by ukpaul, February 10, 2013, 08:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ukpaul

Thought I would just say hello to everyone as I've been registered for a few weeks but have been a lurker here fir a while.  :)

Just after a bit of advice as well if people don't mind me asking?

Ever since I was a kid (I'm nearly 40 now lol) I've always wanted to be a bus driver, I've always had an interest in buses and everything surrounding buses but life events took over and I never got around to sorting my PCV licence out.  :(

Over the last few months I have had the time and money to start sorting all of this out, I've already done my PCV Theory test, PCV Hazard perception test and the theory part of the drivers CPC so I'm ready for the practical side of things.  ;D

I'm considering using this company here for my training as I have the money to fund it myself rather than having to rely on one of the larger bus groups to get me through the test and having the stick licence might come in useful at some stage in the future even though my plans are to do local bus work as that's where my interests are.

If I go and pay for all this does anyone have any ideas how likely it is I will be able to find any work? I have noticed that most companies are advertising for trainee drivers, but as I have the money to pay for this myself I would rather do the licence that way. Other companies are also advertising for drivers but generally want experience in the role of bus driver ect. Now obviously I don't have experience as a bus driver but I do have the knowledge of how the whole industry works being a bus enthusiast for the best part of 30 odd years. I'm not sure if companies would see that as an advantage or disadvantage though to be honest?

My ideal plan at the moment is something like this; go and do the licence with the company above then apply to NXWM hoping that having the full PCV licence and the drivers CPC will give me a slight advantage getting a job with them as they haven't got to train me to drive the bus or anything similar at that stage. My licence is clean with no points ect so everything else is good including my health so hopefully no problems there either. I would be willing to work at any of the garages to get a foot in the door as well.

Does anyone have any advice they could give me before I start doing all this? I know some of you will think I'm crazy, but being a PCV driver has always been my dream job! I know all about the downsides of the job as well, but none of it puts me off, this is something I've always wanted to do  :)

richie

If it is your ambition to work for NXWM then apply and train with them having a licence would be of no real advantage in selection as you would have no experience to back it up. Apply and pass your test with NX and use the money you have to do your hgv class 2 in time and this will also gain you a stick licence for a psv. However a lot of psv's are automatic including all modern coaches.

ukpaul

Hi Richie and thanks for the reply,
Have you any idea how long it takes for NXWM to train you from start to finish? I've seen some mentioning on other forums saying as long as 5 months from the start of the application until the stage your actually driving a bus on your own?. This was part of the reason for wanting to fund it myself, I could do it all next week if the company could get me fitted in.

ukpaul

I was also thinking if I've already got the licence that if an application for NXWM isn't successful then I would still have the licence to try and apply to other companies in the area. Being a bus driver is something I've always wanted to do so I'm just trying to maximise my chances of getting a job with any company really. I suppose I'm just trying to cover all angles in case things don't work out as I plan.

Tony

Quote from: UK Paul on February 10, 2013, 08:37:03 PM
Hi Richie and thanks for the reply,
Have you any idea how long it takes for NXWM to train you from start to finish? I've seen some mentioning on other forums saying as long as 5 months from the start of the application until the stage your actually driving a bus on your own?. This was part of the reason for wanting to fund it myself, I could do it all next week if the company could get me fitted in.

If you get the license yourself you will not have any trouble getting employment. NXWM do take people on with full licenses as well as trainees, but would still put you in their training school for some time to teach you to drive how NXWM like you to drive (I am not saying all drivers do driver that way). Most companies will give you a welcome if you have a license, but will want to take you out first to have a look at the quality of your driving, especially if you cannot give them a CV of previous employment. Even though I have worked for WMPTE/TWM/NXWM since leaving school at 16 I still took my PSV license privately so I got a class 1 manual license. This was useful for being able to drive at Central Coachways, and also some of the 1980s minibuses, but as a current employee with a full license I still had to do 3 days in the training school, and another two days when I went from office worker/part time driver to Full time driver.

We all then have to do another day each year to get the CPC to keep our licenses

Discodave

Quote from: UK Paul on February 10, 2013, 08:41:33 PM
I was also thinking if I've already got the licence that if an application for NXWM isn't successful then I would still have the licence to try and apply to other companies in the area. Being a bus driver is something I've always wanted to do so I'm just trying to maximise my chances of getting a job with any company really. I suppose I'm just trying to cover all angles in case things don't work out as I plan.

Richies Idea is better save your money and get your class 2 HGV get your full PCV for free.  NXWM will take you on as most other companies like rotala and other smaller ones want experiance due to insurance reasons usually to have driven for 180 days and have held that licence for 2 years or just held the licence for 2 years.  The same happens in HGV too.

Depending on the vacancies available will obviously have a big impact on your success getting a job with NX some garages are full others (I believe) still have a few vacancies. If you have an interest in bus driving and have the oportunity to do the test then do it! even if you don't get a job or have to wait a while to get one the experience will stand you in good stead and it will be a considerable achievement passing all the same!
A mate of mine did his training with NX and failed the test 3 times. He was later funded by the DSS via a private firm (similar to how you propose) and did the manual test and passed! in the mean time got a decent job elsewhere but still persued bus driving..just recently he applied to Arriva, passed all the Arriva tests and interviews and was offered a job!
Another chap I know (who works for NX) went through the interview process etc etc and said...if I pass or fail I still get to drive a bus!!!! Now he does it for a living!
Good luck mate whatever you descide  :)
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

ukpaul

Hi everyone and thanks for the replies, it's given me some things to think about. I'm actually thinking of still doing it myself though using my own money for a few reasons that have been highlighted in some of the replies....

Quote from: 4006(Not NEL 111P)Depending on the vacancies available will obviously have a big impact on your success getting a job with NX some garages are full others (I believe) still have a few vacancies. If you have an interest in bus driving and have the oportunity to do the test then do it! even if you don't get a job or have to wait a while to get one the experience will stand you in good stead and it will be a considerable achievement passing all the same!

Seems to make sense doing it myself if NXWM have no or limited vacancies at the moment, I actually live in Dudley but to get a foot in the door would have no problems travelling to Acocks Green, Birmingham Central, Bordesley Green, Pensnett, Walsall, West Brom, Wolverhampton or Yardley Wood garages. I also notice smaller companies like Whittles are after drivers and they are saying on their website;

We are looking for applicants to operate local bus services in and around Kidderminster and surrounding areas. You will be required to cover five shifts Monday through Saturday, predominantly  day shifts although this may vary as the business develops. Existing PCV licence holders welcomed but not essential as practical training to PCV standards will be considered.

So possibly having the licence might be a slight advantage with Whittles as well? As I would have the licence but just need the training to their standards the same as NXWM.

Quote from: DiscodaveRichies Idea is better save your money and get your class 2 HGV get your full PCV for free.  NXWM will take you on as most other companies like rotala and other smaller ones want experiance due to insurance reasons usually to have driven for 180 days and have held that licence for 2 years or just held the licence for 2 years.  The same happens in HGV too.

Didn't realise that was happening in PCV jobs now as well, I knew it was common in HGV jobs.  :(

Quote from: TonyIf you get the license yourself you will not have any trouble getting employment. NXWM do take people on with full licenses as well as trainees, but would still put you in their training school for some time to teach you to drive how NXWM like you to drive (I am not saying all drivers do driver that way). Most companies will give you a welcome if you have a license, but will want to take you out first to have a look at the quality of your driving, especially if you cannot give them a CV of previous employment. Even though I have worked for WMPTE/TWM/NXWM since leaving school at 16 I still took my PSV license privately so I got a class 1 manual license. This was useful for being able to drive at Central Coachways, and also some of the 1980s minibuses, but as a current employee with a full license I still had to do 3 days in the training school, and another two days when I went from office worker/part time driver to Full time driver.

We all then have to do another day each year to get the CPC to keep our licenses.

Seems to all make sense, and pretty much what I thought would probably happen if I already had the licence, a very interesting insight into how the company goes about training.

I actually called Peter Smythe this morning regarding the training and they could fit me in at the start of March, 4 days 1 to 1 training with the test at the end then Module 4 of the drivers CPC just after the test. Quite looking forward to all this now, just gotta make that final decision about which way I'm going to do the licence.

Once again, thanks for all your advice, it's given me a lot to think about, and also a few things I hadn't realised. It really is appreciated  :D

mranon

i was 18 when i took mine. i paid for it myself, as i wanted a stick licence, and didnt want to be held ransome by anyone. ive had no problem getting a job or part time work, and was taken on by a big local bus firm. my advice would be if you cant get in nxwm straight away n you need dosh, take it, get some experience out and about. im personally glad that at 18 i was working on the maintenance side, so being able to conduct changeovers, drive to mots etc was handy. they did however take some local work on and registered it, so it broke me in lol. from my point of view, i was entirely glad that i had some experience before going on the buses. i think theres a lot to take in during training so being out for the first few weeks is daunting lol. good luck

Tony

Quote from: mranon on February 11, 2013, 08:33:16 PM
i was 18 when i took mine. i paid for it myself, as i wanted a stick licence, and didnt want to be held ransome by anyone. ive had no problem getting a job or part time work, and was taken on by a big local bus firm. my advice would be if you cant get in nxwm straight away n you need dosh, take it, get some experience out and about. im personally glad that at 18 i was working on the maintenance side, so being able to conduct changeovers, drive to mots etc was handy. they did however take some local work on and registered it, so it broke me in lol. from my point of view, i was entirely glad that i had some experience before going on the buses. i think theres a lot to take in during training so being out for the first few weeks is daunting lol. good luck

When I took my PSV the age limit was 21, I took my test when I was 22, Passed and got my license in July 1984. Did all the WMPTE tests and training you needed to do at Perry Barr training school in October 1984 then didn't drive again until my first overtime which was a late night on the 67s on 24/12/1984, can you imagine how scary that was. First time proper driving was relief at 'Pump Island' at around 5pm with a Metrobus with passengers already on when you haven't even been in a bus cab for over two months, and the only time you have driven a bus before is with instruction which was mostly in a stick box 1948 half cab Leyland Titan. The only time in a Metrobus before was about one hour type training at Perry Barr (Believe it or not at that time Metrobuses were considered state of the art and everyone had to actually sign to say they actually understood how the new fangled automatic gearbox etc worked).

I still have my 1984 Metrobus training sheet!

ukpaul

Just thought I would update this thread, I passed my PCV test yesterday, decided to fund the training myself in the end and went with Peter Smythe transport training over in Mansfield who I would highly recommend to anyone that wants to pay for their training privately. Really decent guys and girls over there and 1:1 traning as well. So all ready to go now, got the Cat D licence and all parts of the drivers CPC completed as well. Just gotta let it all sink in now that I've actually done it!!

;D

This is the coach that I took my test in, actually missing driving it now today! Lovely coach to drive.

mranon

congratulations, however watch out in the real world, as this isnt a full sized motor. i passed in a 11 meter coach, and drove it in service for a few weeks. got put into a 12m, and a meter dont sound alot, but it took a few miles to adapt

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk