News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Vehicle Transfers

Started by Ash, March 19, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: Stu on October 28, 2016, 06:42:19 PM
Speaking as neither an enthusiast or driver, but as a passenger, to be honest I don't care if a bus doesn't have 'any life' in it or is considered 'drab', and the majority of passengers like me just want a bus to turn up and to get them where they want to go.

My one complaint with the Eclipse 2 B7RLEs is that when they get very crowded, the layout of the standing area means there aren't many upright poles to hang onto. But under normal passenger loads, its a decent ride.

If the 29 is getting regularly crowded, I'm sure passengers would much appreciate more double deckers for the extra room, rather than the bus' 'character'.

Hence why 2117/8/9 are being replaced by 4937/8/9

Tony

4350  PN - WA sometime tonight

GeminiFan1991

I agree with Stu's analysis above.

If you explain the character of a Merc to someone, they'll just reply "So you like it because it rattles" and so on ...
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Sh4318

Quote from: GeminiFan1991 on October 28, 2016, 07:01:30 PM
I agree with Stu's analysis above.

If you explain the character of a Merc to someone, they'll just reply "So you like it because it rattles" and so on ...

Clearly that's an enthusiast's opinion, not taking the passenger's point of view into consideration at all.
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stu

Quote from: Sh4318 on October 28, 2016, 07:17:46 PM
Clearly that's an enthusiast's opinion, not taking the passenger's point of view into consideration at all.

Exactly, as I said earlier the vast majority of bus passengers are not enthusiasts. My sister regularly catches the 126 to go meet her boyfriend in Wolverhampton, the other week she commented to me about the 'posh new bus' she travelled on. And she enjoyed her journey, she doesn't care about the merits of a ZF gearbox over a Voith, or whether it 'sounded nicer'.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

MW

The Eclipse 2's don't lack character in my opinion. I've got them to rev high whilst driving and they sound the same as the Mk1 Walsall ones. It's just how the ECU/Gearbox is set up to change up as soon as possible. Going up Widney Manor Road on the 5 route towards Solihull they'd rev high.

mranon

well, I have to say that if these b7rles 2001 up were as rattle free as their earlier wright bodied predecessors, they are a solid workhorse. you can stick everything else, first choice for me currently would be a b7, both as a passenger and a driver. if set up right, they have a smooth balance of power and stopping ability without effort. a reasonable size engine that's not stressed, with a gearbox that cruises around smoothly. people think just because its not revving its nuts of they are slow - wrong.

MW

Quote from: mranon on October 28, 2016, 10:49:32 PM
well, I have to say that if these b7rles 2001 up were as rattle free as their earlier wright bodied predecessors, they are a solid workhorse. you can stick everything else, first choice for me currently would be a b7, both as a passenger and a driver. if set up right, they have a smooth balance of power and stopping ability without effort. a reasonable size engine that's not stressed, with a gearbox that cruises around smoothly. people think just because its not revving its nuts of they are slow - wrong.

Yeah the B7RLEs are definitely quick. You don't feel a sense of speed because of the lack of revving but they definitely pick up the pace quickly.

Liberator9

Yeah I think the B7RLEs are probably the best single decks in the fleet. The 56 reg versions were always a favourite with drivers and passengers when at AG, and actually still think they were the best buses the 37 has had.

The new versions also a good workhorse and does what it's ask to very well. Smooth and quiet and suspension is decent. When on a smooth road, no rattling, and having sat in one of the cabs, feel a good quality and well setout. The Volvo chassis is naturally strong, and it's a shame that the B8RLE, Wright bodied versions haven't received that much of an uptake. Having been on one, they're another step up. Certainly a far better bus than the Streetlite.

Tony

2117 & 2119 also now at Walsall

4302 WA - AG
On the 1 today.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

BU07 LGO

Quote from: 2206 on October 31, 2016, 07:36:29 PM
4302 WA - AG
On the 1 today.

That went a few weeks ago iirc?

Ashley 60171

Five years this week I've endured B7/Eclipse 2's on my local route(s). To put it simply, some are great, but most are crap. Give me a mk1 or mk2 RLE anyday.

Quote from: BU07 LGO on October 31, 2016, 07:52:06 PM
That went a few weeks ago iirc?
If it did it wasn't posted on the forum.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

Quote from: Tony on October 30, 2016, 10:15:28 AM
2117 & 2119 also now at Walsall

Seem to have missed something here.

How come Walsall are getting Eclipse 2's, to go with their Eclipse 1's?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk