News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

First Kernow

Started by BK63 YWP, December 23, 2016, 12:38:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikestone

First's cancellations in this weeks Notices & Proceedings, but only a handful of presumed replacements by Summercourt Coaches.

BK63 YWP

With the start of Transport for Cornwall (TfC) by Go-Ahead ran on behalf of Cornwall County Council, First has lost a lot of presence only operating key routes now. TfC were supposedly going to take on the T1/2 and 90 but according to their site this is not happening now.

Just wondering if First will give up on Cornwall post Corvid-19 even though they have invested heavily in E400MMCs and E200MMC in recent times
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

winston

Quote from: SL 16 YPN on April 07, 2020, 11:56:10 AM
With the start of Transport for Cornwall (TfC) by Go-Ahead ran on behalf of Cornwall County Council, First has lost a lot of presence only operating key routes now. TfC were supposedly going to take on the T1/2 and 90 but according to their site this is not happening now.

Just wondering if First will give up on Cornwall post Corvid-19 even though they have invested heavily in E400MMCs and E200MMC in recent times

The T1 & T2 (The Tinners) are commercial routes. It's only tendered routes that First have lost, the majority of their network is commercial.

First Kernow are loaning a load on E400MMC to Somerset for the Hinckley Power Station contract, the Pvr for that has been significantly increased to comply with the min 2m social distancing rule.

Only 20 x E200MMC were Cornwall County Council owned, most if not all were expected to move to Go-Ahead.

Justin Tyme

I think a handful of journeys at quiet times (the ones that are not commercial) on T1/T2 were going to pass to TfC, but with coronavirus reduced timetables have been introduced.

It has been reported that First Kernow management have been planning for the future, so I can't see them giving up.  I was in the Penzance area in November and managed a day's bus riding with First Kernow.  Loadings were impressive.

winston

Quote from: Justin Tyme on April 07, 2020, 12:29:17 PM
I think a handful of journeys at quiet times (the ones that are not commercial) on T1/T2 were going to pass to TfC, but with coronavirus reduced timetables have been introduced.

It has been reported that First Kernow management have been planning for the future, so I can't see them giving up.  I was in the Penzance area in November and managed a day's bus riding with First Kernow.  Loadings were impressive.

First Kernow prior to the Covid-19 shutdown, had confirmed no not driving staff would be made redundant & they were intending to increase their commercial route offering, some was already confirmed which also duplicated tendered services lost - The Lizard routes were one IIRC.

Obviously things are all up in the air / on hold at present. 

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Justin Tyme on April 07, 2020, 12:29:17 PM

Within FirstGroup there are no plans at present to dispose of First Kernow the current business strategy has shifted recently to retain most UK bus subsidiaries where possible and all sales have been halted to instead focus on this key business activity unless synergies of scale require the business position of a subsidiary to reviewed and and an course of action; eg disposal: decided upon by First UK Bus.

winston

LazyGuy222

First are back in Devon with passenger services, from, what is expected to be, next month with a service from Exeter to Plymouth via Dartmoor called the Dartmoor Explorer.
https://twitter.com/MarcMorganHuws/status/1348974823192584192?s=20

Although it isn't technically in Cornwall, it has up until now been part of Kernow.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk