News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Seating 'codes'

Started by nitromatt1, June 03, 2013, 07:39:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nitromatt1

I'm probably going to show my youth and inexperience here but I have never understood exactly what the seating codes (e.g. H47/29F) in bus bodywork mean! I'm pretty sure the first number is the amount of seats on the upper deck and the second the lower deck, but I don't know what the letters mean. Can someone explain? :)

Tony

Quote from: nitromatt1 on June 03, 2013, 07:39:44 PM
I'm probably going to show my youth and inexperience here but I have never understood exactly what the seating codes (e.g. H47/29F) in bus bodywork mean! I'm pretty sure the first number is the amount of seats on the upper deck and the second the lower deck, but I don't know what the letters mean. Can someone explain? :)

The letter at the beginning tells you what type of bus it is
B - Bus (single deck)
C - Coach (single deck)
DP - Dual Purpose (single deck)
H - Highbridge Double deck (all double decks are now highbridge which refers to the seating layout, not the actual height. Lowbridge double decks had the gangway in a trench on the offside and benches of four seats on the nearside to reduce the overall height of the vehicle)
L - Lowbridge Double deck
M - Minibus converted from a van
CH - Coach double deck
DPH - Dual Purpose Double deck

The letter at the end tells you where the doors are
F - Front entrance/exit
D - Dual door (two doors fitted, but can be in any position)
T - Triple entrance (like London bendibuses and the new Borismasters)
L - Wheelchair lift fitted to non low floor vehicle
T - Toilet fiited
(These account for virtually all buses built today - other codes that relate to older vehicles include
R - rear entrance
A - Ambulance doors fitted to the rear
C - Centre entrance exit (only used where there is just one door, vehicles with a centre exit but front entrance will be D

nitromatt1

That's brilliant, thanks Tony!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk