News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

The next West Midlands franchise

Started by Tony, December 09, 2015, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Quote from: RW on October 19, 2017, 08:00:09 PM
Have some reservations regarding the description of the Cross City line as a 'Metro service' in the context of the 3 car Bombardier EMU's. Suggestion is that it will create more capacity by increasing standing numbers by using a transverse seating layout. All well and good at peak times when increased capacity is needed but at off peak times the service is heavily used by older customers  who need appropriate seating. Can see trouble ahead if older persons are left standing for any sort of distance due to a lack of available seats. Hope the new operators are sensible on this issue.

There will be more seats off peak though as they intend to run all services as 6 cars

RW

Quote from: Tony on October 19, 2017, 08:13:09 PM
There will be more seats off peak though as they intend to run all services as 6 cars
That's good but in that case why only 3 car units?

DJ

Quote from: RW on October 19, 2017, 10:41:15 PM

Could be for greater flexibility in 20 or so years time, as it'll likely be easier to cascade them if they are 3 car units, rather than 6.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Kevin

Quote from: RW on October 19, 2017, 10:41:15 PM

So the guards still have an excuse to not check tickets?
(going on the assumption there's no corridor connection, likely wrong)
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Tony

Quote from: Kevin on October 20, 2017, 08:02:13 AM
So the guards still have an excuse to not check tickets?
(going on the assumption there's no corridor connection, likely wrong)

The CGI of the units show a gangway

RW

I seem to recall that the new franchise stated that it will be building a new depot/stabling point at Duddeston. Will that be on the site of the former and long gone coach sidings?

Tony

Quote from: RW on October 23, 2017, 03:50:58 PM
I seem to recall that the new franchise stated that it will be building a new depot/stabling point at Duddeston. Will that be on the site of the former and long gone coach sidings?

If it goes ahead, it is one of a couple of sites being looked at, it will be on the site of the old wagon works

markcf83

The new liveries don't look too bad....provided they are kept clean most days.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

DJ

Quote from: markcf83 on October 27, 2017, 04:43:42 PM
The new liveries don't look too bad....provided they are kept clean most days.

They do look a bit awkward without the full yellow fronts though, although I guess that's because I'm used to the ones with them. I'm sure they'll grow on me with time. One thing I'm glad for is the window surrounds, just take one look at the new Pendolino livery and you'll certainly feel the same.  ;)

tank90

It would have been nice to have seen the West Midland Railway in Midland Railway Red with the light grey and gold doors as I think the Purple and Orange don't look right.

As for the new LWNR colours it looks like all the UK operators can think of is Green, Grey and Blue(SWR). I would have liked to have seen Black Cabs with red Lining and then for the rest of the Carriage to be in the old LNWR coaching stock livery with gold doors again. Of course due the Black a bit more yellow would be needed at the front but I'm sure that would have worked.
Midland Red West, one of the best Companies to serve Redditch, with some of the best buses.

Dan

Bus1237

The yellow front door and the orange do not look good together at all...

Stuharris 6360

Still think train fronts should be all yellow!
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

DJ

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on October 29, 2017, 08:52:36 PM
Still think train fronts should be all yellow!

I had a go at making it full yellow like the London Midland ones, looks much better imo. You've probably seen it already though if you've seen the thread over on RailUK forums.

Stuharris 6360

@DJ98 It looks very good and much better from a safety prespective. For people working on the track, the more yellow the better as it is easier to spot than duller colours.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk