News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Camp Hill Line - Moseley, Kings Heath & Hazelwell

Started by Stu, March 09, 2018, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeanM66A

Quote from: WMT3000 on March 12, 2018, 07:32:37 AM
I've just read it again and unless i'm missing something it reads as though nothing's been decided. I've also read minutes of council meetings which suggest it might be a possibility but is unlikely. Incidentally, i'm writing this while sat on the bus because my train to work, run by WMR, is 22 mins late due to "awaiting train crew". Like i said before, they can't even run the existing franchise. It will take more than ambiguous articles full of vagueries to fool me.
It quite plainly says nothing has been decided.  It states that the Secretary of State will "carefully study" the proposal.  Whilst the careful studying is taking place, this is the time for the pressure to be applied.  Positive pressure for re-opening at entry level is much preferable to whingeing about it not being the full works.
The issue about West Midlands / London Northwestern / Abellio / East Japan Railway / Tom Cobley is hardly relevant here.  To compare March 2018 with the date when Camp Hill might come to fulfilment is pointless.  Who knows who'll be the franchisee by then? 
It does seem to me, and this is only a "seem", that most new franchises struggle at first with the number of employees; the previous franchisee often seems to cut back on training and recruitment towards the end of their tenure.

WMT3000

Quote from: Dom on March 12, 2018, 09:50:28 AM
Of course because WMR are the only company in the entire country that cancel trains due to a lack of train crew! What a stupid comment to make.
Sorry if i've offended you somehow, obviously easily done. Have to be honest - can't really see your point - didn't mention any other companies. If i didn't turn up for work i wouldn't blame it on other people around the country being late for work - that would be ridiculous frankly! Before posting responses like yours, mentioning people's stupid comments - review your own.

Dom

Quote from: WMT3000 on March 12, 2018, 01:08:37 PM
Sorry if i've offended you somehow, obviously easily done. Have to be honest - can't really see your point - didn't mention any other companies. If i didn't turn up for work i wouldn't blame it on other people around the country being late for work - that would be ridiculous frankly! Before posting responses like yours, mentioning people's stupid comments - review your own.

Offended? Far from, i couldn't give a sh*t because my train turned up bang on time and I got to work bang on time.

The fact that you're slaging off the franchise because of a one train is the stupid part. Someone could've gone off sick first thing and they were waiting for a covering member of staff to arrive. It's not always as black and white as youre trying to portray it.

WMT3000

Quote from: Dom on March 12, 2018, 01:36:14 PM
Offended? Far from, i couldn't give a sh*t because my train turned up bang on time and I got to work bang on time.

The fact that you're slaging off the franchise because of a one train is the stupid part. Someone could've gone off sick first thing and they were waiting for a covering member of staff to arrive. It's not always as black and white as youre trying to portray it.
Again, really don't understand your point. It's a bit petty saying well at least i caught MY train - you sound like a toddler. If it was only one train what happened at Moor st on Saturday? Every train late and running non-stop to Dorridge/Stratford. How about the train that was delayed by half an hour because of "unusually large passenger flows" on an average day in March. And don't expect another reply to your inane, immature responses - fortunately i've got better things to do. And just a tip, before implying that people are stupid, take the trouble to become informed yourself - or at least try to understand the point that's being made. Tbh you're lack of understanding, lack of information and surly tone imply low intelligence.

sonic84

Quite excited that the camp hill line might be reopening.

To be honest I am surprised that the Bromsgrove trains which don't call at University don't already use the Camp Hill Line.  There definitely it one cross city train per hour which uses it going from Birmingham to Cheltenham Spa. Keep meaning to take a trip on it but not managed to yet!

DJ

Quote from: sonic84 on March 13, 2018, 07:51:00 PM
Quite excited that the camp hill line might be reopening.

To be honest I am surprised that the Bromsgrove trains which don't call at University don't already use the Camp Hill Line.  There definitely it one cross city train per hour which uses it going from Birmingham to Cheltenham Spa. Keep meaning to take a trip on it but not managed to yet!

I'm pretty sure it's used a decent amount by CrossCountry services, which are the only ones going that way that don't call at University iirc. The only other 'express' service than the ones by CrossCountry is the New Street - Hereford service and that calls at University, so the Camp Hill line is out.

I'm sure it depends on what direction the CrossCountry services are going once they leave New Street though, it'd be pointless to have a train that then goes somewhere North via Tamworth to use the Camp Hill line, as it'd need reversing at New Street, whereas if it was going to, say, Manchester, it'd be fine.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Kevin

Quote from: DJ98 on March 14, 2018, 06:02:32 PM
I'm pretty sure it's used a decent amount by CrossCountry services, which are the only ones going that way that don't call at University iirc. The only other 'express' service than the ones by CrossCountry is the New Street - Hereford service and that calls at University, so the Camp Hill line is out.

I'm sure it depends on what direction the CrossCountry services are going once they leave New Street though, it'd be pointless to have a train that then goes somewhere North via Tamworth to use the Camp Hill line, as it'd need reversing at New Street, whereas if it was going to, say, Manchester, it'd be fine.

At the moment it's only Bristol - Manc XC services and the occasional WMR train like the extras to and from Bromsgrove on Saturdays
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Cheese

Quote from: Kevin on March 14, 2018, 07:01:18 PM
At the moment it's only Bristol - Manc XC services and the occasional WMR train like the extras to and from Bromsgrove on Saturdays

The Man Pic to Bristol services generally only use it southbound, the northbound services still use the Cross City line (both Bristol to Man Pic and Plymouth to Edinburgh services).  Confirmed at the West Midlands Trains stakeholder event today was that they are looking into 7 new stations, including the three on the Camp Hill line, Darlaston, Willenhall, as well as Brierley Hill and WM Safari Park.

BK63 YWP

I think reopening/reusing the Walsall to Wolverhampton line for passenger use would be brilliant as the roads become increasingly congested between WVH and Walsall
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

the trainbasher

Quote from: Cheese on March 14, 2018, 08:17:31 PM
The Man Pic to Bristol services generally only use it southbound, the northbound services still use the Cross City line (both Bristol to Man Pic and Plymouth to Edinburgh services).  Confirmed at the West Midlands Trains stakeholder event today was that they are looking into 7 new stations, including the three on the Camp Hill line, Darlaston, Willenhall, as well as Brierley Hill and WM Safari Park.

Brierley Hill and Safari Park were planned to open December 2019 IIRC

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Ian Hardy

These are the planned passing times at Lifford East Jn for Cross Country services for 21/03/18:

http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/search/advanced/LIFODEJ/2018/03/21/0200-0159?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt&toc=XC

There are 13 northbound and 15 southbound services, they are mainly services going to or from Manchester but 2 northbound services use the Camp Hill line and then reverse in New Street on their way to Glasgow Central via Leeds & Newcastle.

Roy

The current proposal is that, if the three stations reopen, they will have two trains per hour in each direction.  The two services will be
Shrewsbury - Wolverhampton - Birmingham New Street - Camp Hill - Bromsgrove - Worcester
Shrewsbury - Wolverhampton - Birmingham New Street - Camp Hill - Lifford Curve - University - Birmingham New Street

From December 2018, West Midlands Railway are increasing Birmingham - Shrewsbury services from 1 tph to 2 tph, so extending them over the Camp Hill line will reduce dwell time at New Street.  The above proposal would increase the number of trains from New Street to Worcester via Bromsgrove from 1 tph to 2 tph with one via Camp Hill and the other to Hereford via University. 

This is an interim solution to get the stations opened as early as possible because, as Tony said, it is still the intention to build the Camp Hill chords into Moor Street, but we are looking at 2026 and beyond before these are built.  The chords will not only support services towards Moseley and Kings Heath but will provide the capacity to introduce local services to Tamworth with new stations at places such as Castle Bromwich.  One long term service proposed is an East Midlands - Worcester/Hereford service reversing at Moor Street.

The priority for reopening stations (subject to business cases being made) is (1) Camp Hill (2) Walsall - Wolverhampton (3) Brierley Hill Town and Safari Park, with Brierley Hill (Canal Street) to follow.

DJ

Quote from: Chris on March 14, 2018, 08:26:15 PM
I think reopening/reusing the Walsall to Wolverhampton line for passenger use would be brilliant as the roads become increasingly congested between WVH and Walsall

It's also a little annoying when there's no trains along there, so catching a bus is faster than the current 'direct' route from Wolves to Walsall. I'm pretty sure I can get the 11/13 from here in Tipton and get to Walsall faster than getting a train too.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Stu

Consultation: public invited to have their say on proposals for new stations at Moseley, Kings Heath and Hazelwell:
https://www.wmca.org.uk/news/public-to-have-their-say-on-designs-for-new-railway-stations/

Quote"The exhibitions and online survey will give people the chance to help make sure the new stations feel a true part of their community and I would urge people to have their say."

The initial service from the stations is expected to be two trains an hour into central Birmingham, with journey times of around 15 minutes.

WMRE, TfWM, local train operator West Midlands Railway and Network Rail are all working together on the track, signalling and service changes required.

Cllr Waseem Zaffar, Birmingham City Council's cabinet member for transport and environment, said: "The public space around these new stations provides an ideal opportunity to create an attractive and distinctive design that creates a unique gateway that also reflects the identity of the local community.

"We want to hear the views of local people about how best to achieve this.

"This is a landmark project for these suburbs and the reopening of the Camp Hill Line will give people an attractive alternative to going by car or bus, helping to cut congestion, especially on the congested A435 Alcester Road."

I would have thought that passengers would just want platforms, some sheltered areas to wait for trains in, and ticketing facilities. I can't see passengers rushing to catch a train stopping to admire impressive designs that "reflect the identity of the local community".

A concern I see from the proposed designs is a lack of car parking facilities at these stations. Perhaps they have dreamy ideas of all these passengers cycling or walking to the station. More likely the 'drop-off' areas will be filled with taxis, the traffic on St Marys Row in Moseley is bad enough as it is at peak-times without additional cars dropping people off or picking up at the station.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

On thé local news again, wasn't sure where to post however has the talk of A station at the fort died now ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk