News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

First South Yorkshire

Started by Ashley 4569, August 25, 2013, 11:45:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashley 4569

Greetings

May not be in many of this forum users interest area but ive been to Sheffield a couple of times this year.

You may know that Sheffields First depot is it at Olive Grove and theur fleet consists of Volvo B7TLs, B9TLs, B7RLEs, B7Ls,, B10BLE's and E200s and Dennis Tridents

Service levels are very good, any of their local enthusiasts could tell you something unique about the majority of the fleet but for me it seemed to be a well maintained fleet, they have some issues with vandalism, graffiti, seat burns and window etching but not as bad as the West Midlands overall.

The main appeal to my visits there is the large allocation of Wright Renown bodied Volvo B10BLE's, some might say their sheds but i think they are good buses, many sadly of which are about to be replaced by Wright Streetlites or lamposts as some prefer to call them. 60618 - 60627 were the last buses bought by Mainline before it was purchased by Firstgroup, one of these is hoped to pass into preservation 60627. Buses with R or S registrations are to be withdrawn when the new buses enter service which will be from tuesday onwards when the first eleven hit the road.

Thought it may be of interest to some, hoping to return at some point

Ashley

winston

Quote from: Ashley 4569 on August 25, 2013, 11:45:04 AM
Greetings

May not be in many of this forum users interest area but ive been to Sheffield a couple of times this year.

You may know that Sheffields First depot is it at Olive Grove and theur fleet consists of Volvo B7TLs, B9TLs, B7RLEs, B7Ls,, B10BLE's and E200s and Dennis Tridents

Service levels are very good, any of their local enthusiasts could tell you something unique about the majority of the fleet but for me it seemed to be a well maintained fleet, they have some issues with vandalism, graffiti, seat burns and window etching but not as bad as the West Midlands overall.

The main appeal to my visits there is the large allocation of Wright Renown bodied Volvo B10BLE's, some might say their sheds but i think they are good buses, many sadly of which are about to be replaced by Wright Streetlites or lamposts as some prefer to call them. 60618 - 60627 were the last buses bought by Mainline before it was purchased by Firstgroup, one of these is hoped to pass into preservation 60627. Buses with R or S registrations are to be withdrawn when the new buses enter service which will be from tuesday onwards when the first eleven hit the road.

Thought it may be of interest to some, hoping to return at some point

Ashley

Ashley,

I don't think many of First's passengers would have agreed with this statement 'Service levels are very good' until recently. Passenger numbers had been failing dramatically, due to passengers defecting to competing Stagecoach Yorkshire services in Sheffield due to the high fares First were charging and continual fare hikes. Since First have cut the cost of their cash fares & day/week/month tickets I understand that the trend is now reversing back in First's favour.
Up until the Streetlites Max were confirmed with 41 being destined for Olive Grove, Sheffield. First South Yorkshire & Sheffield has seen very little in new vehicle investment since 2008 with 08/58 plate B9TL/Gemini being delivered and few new buses of any quantity prior to those. The Streetlites will comprise of 37 new & the 4 x 62 First Group demonstrators which i understand are all slightly different specs

I also understand that the ex London Tridents are struggling in Sheffield with reliability problems and major unit failures, with a number frequently off the road awaiting repair.

If your interested in FSY you may/may not be aware of the South Yorkshire forum?

http://www.travelsy.proboards.com/

Ally

Well, with Tony's recent visit to Sheffield, I thought I'd post in some going on with the fleet at the minute - and there's a lot more to come in the near future! A lot is due to the network review in Sheffield which has seen a major shake up of services, with some long standing service numbers disappearing altogether.

First of all, Doncaster's Volvo B7L 60210 was lost to a major engine fire today in Hatfield Woodhouse.
Bad news for Doncaster who were already very short of buses before losing both this and 60208 this week!
Even more bad news for First South Yorkshire as a whole, who have now lost at least 3 buses to fires in the past fortnight...
Sheffield's 37031 was lost to an engine fire whilst on a road test with an engineer, right before it was due to move to Rotherham, with Sheffield's 60655 suffering an arson attack in the Manor Park area.

Some of Sheffield's Trident Presidents are now beginning to make their way to Doncaster for permanent transfer, with their Volvo counterparts heading to Rotherham along with the B7TL Geminis (Tony has nabbed at least 1 Gemini already). Rotherham will be sending their B9TLs in return, though I'm not sure if all 15 due will turn up until Rotherham gets it's new Streetdecks.

Here's a breakdown of what is to be expected (some of which have already taken place):

ALX400 B7TL:
30571-74/76 Sheffield to Bradford
30846/30862 Sheffield to Disposal
31776-80 Sheffield to Bradford

President B7TL:
32108-11 Sheffield to Rotherham
32215-20 Sheffield to Rotherham
32308-12 Sheffield to Rotherham

President Trident:
32955/957 Sheffield to Doncaster
33031/32/41/52/61-65/69-71/79/82-84/99/124/125/127-129/230 Sheffield to Doncaster

Gemini B7TL:
37021-30/32-35 Sheffield to Rotherham

Gemini B9TL:
37489-99/509/510 Rotherham to Sheffield
37500-8/525 Doncaster to Bradford

Renown B10BLE:
62232/34/35/39/40/43/44 Sheffield to Doncaster
60650-702 Sheffield to Disposal (the remaining fleet)

Streetlite 11.5m (Prototypes):
63038-41 Rotherham to Sheffield

Urban B7RLE:
69020/22-26/28-33/43-56 Rotherham to Sheffield

Streetlite 10.8m:
47482-90 Doncaster to Sheffield

Streetdeck:
35117-38 new to Rotherham (expected late next month)

Doncaster's B6/Darts are expected to go for disposal, with some ALX400s transferring to Rotherham, leaving Rotherham's B10BLEs following Sheffield's ones, so if you want some steep hill laden thrash on any B10BLEs, I'd head for South Yorkshire pretty sharpish!

Also of note, the 8x Y reg B10BLEs that will remain in South Yorkshire (Doncaster) will be receiving DDA compliance modifications and all the B9TLs are going through exhaust modifications to make them Euro V compliant - some of which have already been done.
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

arrifirststage

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on October 22, 2015, 07:22:11 AM
I got shot down the last time I mentioned this operator in any detail.

Certainly don't want to shoot anybody down......thank God there are members out there who take an interest in other operators and post something other than the absolute minutiae of NX.
I realise that the forum is West Midlands based,but I sometimes wonder if the whole forum could not be split into two,with one half (probably the largest) being for the purely NX enthusiasts,seemingly aged between 10-17 who really have no interest in buses other than number and trivia spotting,and members who are interested in transport operators ,history and organisation of routes and services.
No doubt my reward for this post will be "if you don't like it,then clear off and don't read it" but of course this only suffocates discussion and possible progress.

@arrifirststage  We're already aware how you feel about the forum content, I don't understand why you feel the need to keep posting the same thing time and time again. As you say, it is a WM Bus based forum, NX are the main operator in the area, so...... Winston

Tony

Quote from: arrifirststage on October 22, 2015, 10:06:56 AM
Certainly don't want to shoot anybody down......thank God there are members out there who take an interest in other operators and post something other than the absolute minutiae of NX.
I realise that the forum is West Midlands based,but I sometimes wonder if the whole forum could not be split into two,with one half (probably the largest) being for the purely NX enthusiasts,seemingly aged between 10-17 who really have no interest in buses other than number and trivia spotting,and members who are interested in transport operators ,history and organisation of routes and services.
No doubt my reward for this post will be "if you don't like it,then clear off and don't read it" but of course this only suffocates discussion and possible progress.]

Definitely not!  Any informative posts on anything welcome. The history of the site is I originally set up a fotopic site for photographs to match stuff being posted on the West Midlands Buses yahoo group, the name being just West Midlands Buses Photographs. Fotopic originally had a facility for comments under each photograph as well. When fotopic closed I transferred as many onto a website I had set up as possible. This is when the 'in' sneaked into the name. I soon got asked for the comment facility, had no idea how to set one up, so started the forum instead. As you can tell by the photos on the Website I have an interest in all buses & trains so have no problem with informative posts about anywhere in the country. The name of the website/forum just stems from the history of starting it

Ashley 60171

Regarding @Ally 's original post.

37031 is expected to be repaired

I believe that there is a mini farewell planned for the T reg B10BLE's at Olive Grove planned for Saturday 31st October, which is also the last day before the new network begins. It also marks the end of the Mainline era as such as the BLE's being withdrawn were the last buses delivered to them prior to takeover by First. I must stress this is still TBC.

Ally

Quote from: Ashley 60171 on October 22, 2015, 11:21:15 AM
Regarding @Ally 's original post.

37031 is expected to be repaired

I believe that there is a mini farewell planned for the T reg B10BLE's at Olive Grove planned for Saturday 31st October, which is also the last day before the new network begins. It also marks the end of the Mainline era as such as the BLE's being withdrawn were the last buses delivered to them prior to takeover by First. I must stress this is still TBC.

Good news about 37031 @Ashley 60171 , I wasn't sure of the extent of the damage so didn't like to comment.

Fingers crossed that the B10BLE farewell does get confirmed, that'd be nice. I wouldn't mind one last trip on the 95 with one, to the Bermuda Triangle of buses - or is that Walkley, Tinker Lane?

Also, apologies @Winston , I did look through the whole section to see if there was already a FSY topic but didn't find one :o - obviously I was a lot more tired than I thought I was at 1.20am *cowers away in the corner*. Thanks for correcting it! :-[
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Ashley 60171

Quote from: Ally on October 22, 2015, 03:44:58 PM
Good news about 37031 @Ashley 60171 , I wasn't sure of the extent of the damage so didn't like to comment.

Fingers crossed that the B10BLE farewell does get confirmed, that'd be nice. I wouldn't mind one last trip on the 95 with one, to the Bermuda Triangle of buses - or is that Walkley, Tinker Lane?

Also, apologies @Winston , I did look through the whole section to see if there was already a FSY topic but didn't find one :o - obviously I was a lot more tired than I thought I was at 1.20am *cowers away in the corner*. Thanks for correcting it! :-[

I have apologised to Winston but will also apologise here for my grumble.

I believe the idea would be to have B10BLE's operate on the routes they've always been associated with so the 95 would be included.

Bryan

An unidentified single deck vehicle which didn't make it to its destination

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/look-doncaster-passengers-escape-bus-inferno-after-vehicle-explosion-1-7530245

I'm guessing it won't get repaired :-)

T840MAK

Quote from: Bryan on October 23, 2015, 07:24:39 AM
An unidentified single deck vehicle which didn't make it to its destination

http://www.doncasterfreepress.co.uk/news/look-doncaster-passengers-escape-bus-inferno-after-vehicle-explosion-1-7530245

I'm guessing it won't get repaired :-)

61210 which is a write off. Rotherham's 60728 has gone to cover.

On an unrelated note to that...B10BLE 60684 T866ODT was withdrawn this morning.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

arrifirststage

Quote from: Tony on October 22, 2015, 10:20:48 AM
Definitely not!  Any informative posts on anything welcome. The history of the site is I originally set up a fotopic site for photographs to match stuff being posted on the West Midlands Buses yahoo group, the name being just West Midlands Buses Photographs. Fotopic originally had a facility for comments under each photograph as well. When fotopic closed I transferred as many onto a website I had set up as possible. This is when the 'in' sneaked into the name. I soon got asked for the comment facility, had no idea how to set one up, so started the forum instead. As you can tell by the photos on the Website I have an interest in all buses & trains so have no problem with informative posts about anywhere in the country. The name of the website/forum just stems from the history of starting it

Thank you Tony for allowing a much wider interest to be discussed instead of the very restricted and parochial views so far shown.
Like I say,I have no objection to the younger enthusiasts discussing what they deem interesting,but now,thank God,us who have wider interests can now talk about them without being told to clear off if we do not agree with a format dictated by youngsters whose views,understandably perhaps,are narrower than ours.
Again,thanks Tony.

winston

Quote from: arrifirststage on October 23, 2015, 10:00:09 AM
Thank you Tony for allowing a much wider interest to be discussed instead of the very restricted and parochial views so far shown.
Like I say,I have no objection to the younger enthusiasts discussing what they deem interesting,but now,thank God,us who have wider interests can now talk about them without being told to clear off if we do not agree with a format dictated by youngsters whose views,understandably perhaps,are narrower than ours.
Again,thanks Tony.

@arrifirststage No one has stopped you posting about any wider UK subject, it is the repetitive public 'complaining and moaning' posts about the forum content, what younger members post and being told to clear off. You singling out what the younger members post is likely to result in response and a another potential argument. Those types of comments are unhelpful, not required & of no interest to the rest of us! If you don't like the forum content, don't read it! Simple!!

If you post informative stuff, you will not hear from me, if you continue to post your opinions on forum content, they will now just be deleted,  Winston

arrifirststage

Quote from: Winston on October 23, 2015, 10:23:54 AM
@arrifirststage No one has stopped you posting about any wider UK subject, it is the repetitive public 'complaining and moaning' posts about the forum content, what younger members post and being told to clear off. You singling out what the younger members post is likely to result in response and a another potential argument. Those types of comments are unhelpful, not required & of no interest to the rest of us! If you don't like the forum content, don't read it! Simple!!

If you post informative stuff, you will not hear from me, if you continue to post your opinions on forum content, they will now just be deleted,  Winston

Unfortunately,Winston, we seem unable to agree on this,I still regard your views as rather dictatorial,whilst you doubtless regard me as a pain in the wotsit.
Hopefully we are mature enough not to descend to a personal level and I appreciate your honest reply,
I will of course respect your request not to post comments on forum content,though I do think some of it is rather juvenile,
Thank you again for being frank and honest,
Best wishes,Roy

winston

Quote from: arrifirststage on October 23, 2015, 01:22:23 PM
Unfortunately,Winston, we seem unable to agree on this,I still regard your views as rather dictatorial,whilst you doubtless regard me as a pain in the wotsit.
Hopefully we are mature enough not to descend to a personal level and I appreciate your honest reply,
I will of course respect your request not to post comments on forum content,though I do think some of it is rather juvenile,
Thank you again for being frank and honest,
Best wishes,Roy

Roy,

Thanks for your reply.

You're entiltied to post your opinion's of any operators from anywhere / transport industry trends / enthusiasts treads (both negative & positive). Is all we ask, is for you not post any comments that single out specific age groups of members & comment on the quality of the content that they post, as this could potentially prevoke yet another argument on the forum. If the content is not up street then fair enough (this was where the don't read it comments came in), the content will not suit all, all of the time, you don't like me picking up for your posts, yet seem happy to comment on others. Keep passing comment will not change the make-up / content of the forum, it will only make other members turn against you. As admin are tired of the frequent arguments / bickering on the forum, we are simply nipping anything of that nature in the bud before anything starts....

Whilst I respect your opinion, the rules do state that admin have the final say and had you taken on board our requests/comments last time, we wouldn't be here again now,

Matter closed,

Regards,

Winston 

BK63 YWP

Back onto topic of First South Yorkshire, has any of our Yorkshire members had a ride on the Evoseti and what are their opinions of the bus?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk