News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

TRIVIA: Bus corridors where there are fare anomalies

Started by the trainbasher, March 15, 2018, 12:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

Hi all,

In light of a post I made on the Rotala management thread, where I discovered that in some cases travelling on one service operated by Diamond was actually cheaper than going on another Diamond service along the same corridor between the same two points, with the cheaper route being slightly longer and slightly slower, has anyone else experienced this elsewhere on the network?

Note:

The routes must share a common boarding/disembark point, and near enough run the same corridor.

Circulars such as the 8/11 do not count.

The two services being compared must be run by the same operator, but anomalies between different depots routes count.

Fares must be based on cash fares, not mobile, contactless or Swift Pay As You Go, and are based on adult fares.

Special services such as the cricket/Ricoh/V Fest do not count, nor do closed door school services.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Tony

I don't think you'll find any on NXWM. There was a few, but last year when NX put those stickers on bus shelters, £1.50 to xxxx, I went through every fare chart and eliminated any I found

Trident 4194

Is the 125 still more expensive than the 25 between Stourbridge and Kidderminster?

Cheese

Haven't used it recently due to the Cross city being rather more reliable in the mornings but Diamond Bus 146 used to be £1.90 from Cotteridge into town compared to £2.40 on NX. Was always cheaper when First ran it previously and you got a Citybus if lucky!

B61 ANDREW

I remember back to last summer that a single from Bromsgrove bus station to the train station was a pound [ ? ] dearer on Diamonds 43 that the 42 , the 43 did go a slightly longer route via Charford though.  :o

Kevin

Quote from: Cheese on March 15, 2018, 08:58:59 AM
Haven't used it recently due to the Cross city being rather more reliable in the mornings but Diamond Bus 146 used to be £1.90 from Cotteridge into town compared to £2.40 on NX. Was always cheaper when First ran it previously and you got a Citybus if lucky!

If I'm not mistaken First are cheaper than NX on the Bristol Road
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Cheese

Quote from: Kevin on March 15, 2018, 05:45:12 PM
If I'm not mistaken First are cheaper than NX on the Bristol Road

They definitely used to be, I recall being charged only £1.20 from Priory Road to the Black Horse a good few years back. On a Citybus too. Bit of a theme here! One of the few places First are cheaper than other ops.

B61 ANDREW

Quote from: B61 ANDREW on March 15, 2018, 10:50:39 AM
I remember back to last summer that a single from Bromsgrove bus station to the train station was a pound [ ? ] dearer on Diamonds 43 that the 42 , the 43 did go a slightly longer route via Charford though.  :o
The cost of a single ticket between Bromsgrove bus station and the railway station via  Charford is £1.90. But travelling back yesterday from the railway into town on the 318 [via The Oakalls ] was just £1.  :o 8)

DJ

I guess you can count the 31/32 and the X51 between Walsall and Bloxwich now, since the return fare on the 31/32 isn't valid on the X51.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Westy

Quote from: StourValley98 on May 13, 2019, 12:33:05 PM
I guess you can count the 31/32 and the X51 between Walsall and Bloxwich now, since the return fare on the 31/32 isn't valid on the X51.

They dont use the same stops in Walsall though.

Stu

Quote from: StourValley98 on May 13, 2019, 12:33:05 PM

I've seen this mentioned here already, why would anyone expect a 31/32 specific ticket to be valid on any other route?
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

DJ

Quote from: Stu on May 13, 2019, 07:25:37 PM
I've seen this mentioned here already, why would anyone expect a 31/32 specific ticket to be valid on any other route?

I don't expect them to, I'm just saying that technically the 31/32 and the X51 run along the same corridor, and are the same operator, yet the X51 can be more expensive.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Westy

Quote from: StourValley98 on May 13, 2019, 11:27:24 PM
I don't expect them to, I'm just saying that technically the 31/32 and the X51 run along the same corridor, and are the same operator, yet the X51 can be more expensive.

It serves 99% of the stops though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk