News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Uber stripped of licence to operate in London

Started by JoNi, September 22, 2017, 02:04:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 23, 2017, 08:17:55 PM
And either put the cost of my commute by a extra £100 or make me rely on buses which don't turn up (226 in the morning), overcrowded buses ran by WN, take forever to get me home or result in a 3 hour trip as I have to get 3 buses in a evening. No thank you!

Using uber has given me a much more reliable commute, got me home in time to get the Evening news on RT. at a decent hour, especially working in my office until after the Evening rush hour

Without Uber I'd either have to quit my job or get another job with more money. Hard to on that in local government!!

Or learn to drive??? Uber should cost you more, compared to a monthly bus pass (£61.50 nbus) Where do you live (Guessing Wordsley) and I believe you work near Mary Stevens (remember you posting you get the 125?)
Why don't you walk to the cat inn or the main road and get the 256/7 into the town? Then the 276 to Mary Stevens then walk?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 23, 2017, 08:17:55 PM
And either put the cost of my commute by a extra £100 or make me rely on buses which don't turn up (226 in the morning), overcrowded buses ran by WN, take forever to get me home or result in a 3 hour trip as I have to get 3 buses in a evening. No thank you!

Using uber has given me a much more reliable commute, got me home in time to get the Evening news on RT. at a decent hour, especially working in my office until after the Evening rush hour

Without Uber I'd either have to quit my job or get another job with more money. Hard to on that in local government!!

So it's ok for Uber employees to have no workers rights as long as you have.

The reason they are cheap is because a lot of drivers end up working below the minimum wage with no paid holidays or sick pay

the trainbasher

Quote from: Chris on September 23, 2017, 08:29:35 PM
Or learn to drive??? Uber should cost you more, compared to a monthly bus pass (£61.50 nbus) Where do you live (Guessing Wordsley) and I believe you work near Mary Stevens (remember you posting you get the 125?)
Why don't you walk to the cat inn or the main road and get the 256/7 into the town? Then the 276 to Mary Stevens then walk?

Tried driving lessons but didn't have the concentration hence I haven't took my test as otherwise it'd be a waste of cashI

256/7 are always unusable due to the college students in the morning.

Plus with certain factors that I'm not prepared to discuss in public forum, using the bus via changing at Brierley Hill or Wordsley is not an option for me. (Factors which mean I hardly go out much)

Anyway, uber is also useful for the very few trips I do go away on, same with Gett as you can track where they are coming to you

Quote from: Tony on September 23, 2017, 08:30:35 PM
So it's ok for Uber employees to have no workers rights as long as you have.

The reason they are cheap is because a lot of drivers end up working below the minimum wage with no paid holidays or sick pay

But that's the same as a normal taxi driver with the self employed bit, same with professional wrestlers, same with some delivery drivers/operators

If they don't like it they should form a union.

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

BK63 YWP

I just find it bizarre you would pay more to get work. Stourbridge to wordsley is not even close to 3 hours even in rush hour, would say an hour tops, you have the 276 every 20 mins, 288?, 125 to get you to town centre ( 5 bph) then the 267, 657, 256, 257, 250 (7 bph) and 226 ( 3bph) I can not calculate 3 hours???

I used to work in willenhall and live in stourbridge and that was at least 2 1/2 hours to get home in the evening .

If you have your own reasons for getting uber instead of buses because you have reasons you can not use the buses plus do the most indirect route to get your destination.

I could walk from my house to stourbridge in 50 mins so an hour to Mary Stevens...
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

Quote from: the trainbasher on September 23, 2017, 08:40:23 PM

But that's the same as a normal taxi driver with the self employed bit, same with professional wrestlers, same with some delivery drivers/operators

If they don't like it they should form a union.

They have formed a Union in  London, who took Uber to court over the employment rights. The union won the court case and Uber have ignored the ruling. The union leader has said this morning he us glad TfL has withdrawn the license,  They are an illegal cowboy operations no different to the bus companies you criticise on here who use blocking software to stop authorities checking their illegalities, but just because they save you a few pennies against other private hire firms you back them

Tony

Tony

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Tony on September 30, 2017, 03:27:04 PM
I usually disagree with most of Christian Woolmer's views, but I think he is spot on with Uber

https://labourlist.org/2017/09/christian-wolmar-ubers-argument-over-its-license-are-total-nonsense/

I agree, Tony.  I expect Uber will change a few things so that it just about meets the minimum TfL criteria to have another licence.  That won't address the fundamental issues with Uber though.

A few months ago I posted a link to an article about one American town awarding its public transport contracts to Uber.  After the mess of Uber's own making in London, I am glad that any danger of that possibly happening in the UK has surely been blown away.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk