News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Edgbaston (Westside) extension

Started by Stu, September 02, 2017, 10:25:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

Birmingham Mail has some CGI images of how the extension to Edgbaston Five Ways will look:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/how-new-tram-edgbaston-look-13560219#ICID=nsm

Preliminary ground works are already underway, which has seen the removals of both the Iron Man from Victoria Square, and the Boulton/Watt/Murdoch statue from Broad Street, and the extension should be up and running by 2021.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Stevo

I thought they were building the extension to Centenary Square first, with Edgbaston later. This seems to say it will all be done in one go.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Stu on September 02, 2017, 10:25:33 AM
Birmingham Mail has some CGI images of how the extension to Edgbaston Five Ways will look:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/how-new-tram-edgbaston-look-13560219#ICID=nsm

Preliminary ground works are already underway, which has seen the removals of both the Iron Man from Victoria Square, and the Boulton/Watt/Murdoch statue from Broad Street, and the extension should be up and running by 2021.
When the Metro starts using Broad Street, will buses still be using it ?

mark114

Sadly another waste of money when you have got buses that run down that route

Tony

Quote from: mark114 on October 16, 2017, 10:42:19 AM
Sadly another waste of money when you have got buses that run down that route

Not many buses from Broad Street to Handsworth, Bilston or Wednesbury

Stevo

Track now down in Paradise Street alongside the Town Hall.

Westy

Here's a question?

I seem to recall there was various extensions mentioned, besides the Merry Hill / Dudley & Five Ways, there was one to Digbeth as well.

When these extensions are up & running, could you do theoretically do the following journeys without changing trams, or would you need to change trams on route somewhere?

Merry Hill to Digbeth.

Merry Hill to Wolves

Merry Hill to Five Ways

Wolves to Digbeth

Tiptonian

Quote from: Tony on October 16, 2017, 10:50:39 AM
Not many buses from Broad Street to Handsworth, Bilston or Wednesbury

Will the extra revenue justify spending (initially) £169m? If someone had proposed extending the 74 to the Monument Road area increasing the PVR by three or four, it would probably have been deemed nonviable. Yes, the tram will not suffer congestion at Five Ways, but can the same be said for all the buses from all the other destinations which will have to wait at the traffic lights as the tram sails nonchalantly through?

Ginger66

Quote from: Tiptonian on February 25, 2019, 02:21:00 PM
Will the extra revenue justify spending (initially) £169m? If someone had proposed extending the 74 to the Monument Road area increasing the PVR by three or four, it would probably have been deemed nonviable. Yes, the tram will not suffer congestion at Five Ways, but can the same be said for all the buses from all the other destinations which will have to wait at the traffic lights as the tram sails nonchalantly through?

Five ways is choker on week nights so can see trams having a slight delay

Busboy105

ellspurs

Quote from: Busboy105 on February 27, 2020, 10:47:27 AM
Update on the Edgbaston extension:
https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife-news/look-west-midlands-metro-tram-17817720
Looking good so far.

Yea, I passed over it last Saturday on my way to Merry Hill from the Bull Ring, and it was a lot further along than what I thought it would be.

I am also going to (rarely) praise the detail in the Birmingham Mail article. Normally they only go into that much detail if it's a sponsored post.

Busboy105

https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/birmingham-westside-metro-extension-achieves-major-milestone-with-biggest-concrete-pour/
This is interesting. Could this mean that the extension could be finished ahead of schedule like the Grand Central-Centenary Square extension?

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 26, 2020, 11:02:17 AM
https://www.tfwm.org.uk/news/birmingham-westside-metro-extension-achieves-major-milestone-with-biggest-concrete-pour/
This is interesting. Could this mean that the extension could be finished ahead of schedule like the Grand Central-Centenary Square extension?
I think it highly unlikely the extension would open ahead of schedule. The railway inspectorate inspections and signing off always take the time at the end of a project. Most regulatory bodies have been badly hid by Covid-19 & although a very positive & well written article from TfWM lets not forget The Mayor spins better than Wonder Woman just without the gold , blue & red leather costume.

Busboy105

Quote from: WyreForestShuttle on June 26, 2020, 11:19:35 AM
I think it highly unlikely the extension would open ahead of schedule. The railway inspectorate inspections and signing off always take the time at the end of a project. Most regulatory bodies have been badly hid by Covid-19 & although a very positive & well written article from TfWM lets not forget The Mayor spins better than Wonder Woman just without the gold , blue & red leather costume.
Ok. I don't get the Wonder Woman analogy though.

WyreForestShuttle

Quote from: Busboy105 on June 26, 2020, 11:32:13 AM
Ok. I don't get the Wonder Woman analogy though.
Articles such as the one quoted for elected politicians are normally drafted by "spin-doctors" . They are constructed to make the politician  involved to be seen in the most positive light. The press release as thus spun. Lynda Carter has to spin round to turn into Wonder Woman conversely Andy Street needs spin to be The Wonder Mayor of The West Midlands Combined Authority just a play on words. In my long career I have yet to ever see a politician pass a mirror without looking in it!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk