News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

The next West Midlands franchise

Started by Tony, December 09, 2015, 06:01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mikestone

Quote from: Tony on September 05, 2017, 07:16:40 PM
The other possibility is the Rugeleys continue Stafford, Stoke & Crewe which is a possibility with 350s. There are rumours of the new franchise asking for an extension of Crewe terminators to Manchester Airport.
Are you suggesting extended from Rugeley - if so I believe the statement was that they would be via Wolverhampton IF I recall correctly.

Tony

Quote from: mikestone on September 06, 2017, 05:13:10 AM
Are you suggesting extended from Rugeley - if so I believe the statement was that they would be via Wolverhampton IF I recall correctly.

You do recall correctly, but that was a London Midland Statement, the same as the Crewe London trains avoiding Stoke, so we will have to wait to see what West Midlands Trains have in their ideas. Extending the Rugeleys was just a personal thought

Westy

Any news on the possibility of Liverpool services from Walsall yet?

mikestone

I think it would have been the franchise headline if they did plan it, but I do not believe there is any chance of NR agreeing anything between the Cannock line and Stafford until  HS2 opens.

Roy

West Midlands Trains (Abellio) have a number of proposals for service improvements above and beyond the franchise agreement.  They were reported to a meeting of the Combined Authority last week.  The report is available on the WMCA website at but the relevant paragraphs are as follows :-

2.8 At a briefing session on 14 August, WMT revealed that over and above the base requirements specified by DfT, WMT is looking to introduce a wider package of service improvements from December 2018 onwards. This includes restructuring the timetable across Birmingham New Street to create new through journey opportunities. This will also create a number of new long-distance through services to London from a number of stations in the West Midlands. This is likely to include an hourly service between Walsall and London. WMT is also looking at operating significantly earlier and later services to and from Birmingham International to cater for the needs of airport passengers and staff. The exact details will be developed as part of the timetable development process.

2.9 WMT will also be actively developing proposals for a number of new services within the WMR area including:
New services on the Walsall to Wolverhampton Line serving new stations at Willenhall and Darlaston
New service to Brierley Hill as an extension of Birmingham - Stourbridge Junction services
New service on the Camp Hill Line serving stations at Moseley, Kings Heath and Hazelwell
New service to West Midlands Safari Park as an extension of Birmingham - Kidderminster services which will operate along the Severn Valley Railway

2.10 The delivery of these new services have not been explicitly contracted within the new franchise and are subject to feasibility studies being undertaken and support from WMCA/TfWM as required.

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Roy on September 14, 2017, 12:50:11 PM
New service to West Midlands Safari Park as an extension of Birmingham - Kidderminster services which will operate along the Severn Valley Railway

Silly season's here again then. Money can't be found to fund a sunday bus service twixt Kidderminster & Bewdley via the WMSP, but there's cash for a feasibility study into this folly?

Why not go the whole hog & fund a new chord at Bewdley South, demolish a housing estate at Burlish & reinstate the rail link to the other 'tourist attraction' in the area at Stourport-on-the-Sea-ish ?

D10

Quote from: dave47549 (no longer NEL111P) on September 14, 2017, 04:43:24 PM
Silly season's here again then. Money can't be found to fund a sunday bus service twixt Kidderminster & Bewdley via the WMSP, but there's cash for a feasibility study into this folly?

Couldn't agree more, how many folks would use this to get to the park, the railway line is a long walk to the main entrance and amusements, or are they expecting the Safari Park to run a shuttle bus service to the new station? And bear in mind this is a single track line which is busy at times such as Bank Hols and gala days, how will extra trains fit in then?

No doubt this is Worcestershire CC's contribution to the franchise whilst totally ignoring local bus services, which the Councils own surveys of the local public say need improving!  >:(

RW

Details of new train orders for the new franchise have appeared online. Appears orders placed with Bombadier for Aventra EMU's and CAF for Civity DMU's.

Tony

Quote from: RW on October 17, 2017, 08:19:33 AM
Details of new train orders for the new franchise have appeared online. Appears orders placed with Bombadier for Aventra EMU's and CAF for Civity DMU's.

Here's a link

http://www.railwaygazette.com/news/traction-rolling-stock/single-view/view/bombardier-and-caf-win-west-midlands-train-contracts.html

BK63 YWP

Do you think that the CAF DMUs will be made to work with the current turbostars. It looks like the Coventry to Nuneaton and Kenilworth will be getting the ex London Overground 172s to operate that line

Also with probably the biggest investment into the British Rail Industry happen across the new franchises, Do you think this will mark the end for the early sprinters and pavers by 2021?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

DJ

Quote from: Chris on October 17, 2017, 10:16:26 AM
Do you think that the CAF DMUs will be made to work with the current turbostars. It looks like the Coventry to Nuneaton and Kenilworth will be getting the ex London Overground 172s to operate that line

Also with probably the biggest investment into the British Rail Industry happen across the new franchises, Do you think this will mark the end for the early sprinters and pavers by 2021?

I'm not sure if they'd need to, as the only other DMUs would be 172s, the People Mover and possible 230s iirc, and I can't ever recall seeing a 172 working with a 170. It wouldn't be a bad thing if they are compatible though, just in case.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: DJ98 on October 17, 2017, 08:21:24 PM
I'm not sure if they'd need to, as the only other DMUs would be 172s, the People Mover and possible 230s iirc, and I can't ever recall seeing a 172 working with a 170. It wouldn't be a bad thing if they are compatible though, just in case.

All current LM DMUs are compatable including 172s & 170s. 153s actually work worth both regularly

Bob

Wonder if we'll still have a winter of misery overcrowding and cancellations on the Chase line Tony?

RW

Have some reservations regarding the description of the Cross City line as a 'Metro service' in the context of the 3 car Bombardier EMU's. Suggestion is that it will create more capacity by increasing standing numbers by using a transverse seating layout. All well and good at peak times when increased capacity is needed but at off peak times the service is heavily used by older customers  who need appropriate seating. Can see trouble ahead if older persons are left standing for any sort of distance due to a lack of available seats. Hope the new operators are sensible on this issue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk