News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Do nx not have any manners?

Started by Trident 4194, February 18, 2015, 08:36:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stu

At the end of the day, the driver's job is to drive the bus. If I get a 'hello' or 'thank you', or any form of acknowledgement of my existence, I consider it a bonus. If I don't, I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.  ;)

Personally, I'll always say 'thanks' to any driver as I get off the bus, as it's just polite. If a driver waits and lets me get on after seeing me hurry towards the bus, I even extend my thanks then!

But the way I see/hear some passengers' attitude towards drivers, I'm not surprised some of them choose not to interact with their passengers!

By the way, just to add some balance to this thread, there are certainly a fair few drivers at AG worthy of a commendation; in particular there's one fella who I sometimes see driving the 37, who always chirpily greets passengers as they board, and gives them a 'cheers mate' as they leave. And special mention to one other fella who drove the 37 last week, who made sure a lady with a pushchair was settled in before driving off.

My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Trident 4194

One thing I don't understand is why people don't press the bell! It's there for a reason!

Liberator9

Most of the NX drivers I've come across have been very polite - treat people like you want to be treated and you will be treated well back - I can't comment on PE/WB drivers as I never use them. Only good experience is PB/AG/YW and to lesser extent WN - sometimes it's just not always audible due to the assault screen being in the way.  Some of the YW/AG drivers have been excellent over the years I've been using them - certainly one young chap who I've seen around for a few years now always goes out of his way to say cheers or say hello. I agree about the PB drivers - used them a few times over the last few weeks and most have been very polite.

As has been said some drivers just prefer to drive the bus and focus on that - some passengers clearly lack any manners towards some of them so you can't blame them.

Stu

Quote from: Matt on February 18, 2015, 07:18:02 PM
Less than an hour ago, I was on the 63 going to the university. A woman had stood at the front of the bus to get off without pressing the bell, and the driver drove past her intending stop. The driver asked "why didn't you press the bell, I can't let you off here" (slow moving traffic). Her response was a stream of strong expletives until they got to the next stop. So yes, I can certainly understand the appeal in remaining silent.

I've encountered similar before, and why some passengers choose to be so abusive towards the driver when they're clearly in the wrong beggars belief.  :(
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

CL

Quote from: Stu on February 18, 2015, 07:08:07 PM
At the end of the day, the driver's job is to drive the bus. If I get a 'hello' or 'thank you', or any form of acknowledgement of my existence, I consider it a bonus. If I don't, I certainly won't lose any sleep over it.  ;)

Personally, I'll always say 'thanks' to any driver as I get off the bus, as it's just polite. If a driver waits and lets me get on after seeing me hurry towards the bus, I even extend my thanks then!

By the way, just to add some balance to this thread, there are certainly a fair few drivers at AG worthy of a commendation; in particular there's one fella who I sometimes see driving the 37, who always chirpily greets passengers as they board, and gives them a 'cheers mate' as they leave. And special mention to one other fella who drove the 37 last week, who made sure a lady with a pushchair was settled in before driving off.

I agree with this level of politeness 100% - from many times I've caught a bus to & from town, or wherever, the driver would usually wait a few seconds for passengers to 'settle', before pulling off. Speak for your AG drivers, but I've noticed this a lot recently from PB drivers, on the 16, or 101, my local routes. Not so much from WB drivers, though, I can't tell when if they're *trying to* zoom off, because the 74/75 always seem to be stuck in a gridlock. ;) lol

---

Quote from: Matt on February 18, 2015, 07:18:02 PM
Less than an hour ago, I was on the 63 going to the university. A woman had stood at the front of the bus to get off without pressing the bell, and the driver drove past her intending stop. The driver asked "why didn't you press the bell, I can't let you off here" (slow moving traffic). Her response was a stream of strong expletives until they got to the next stop. So yes, I can certainly understand the appeal in remaining silent.

This happened to me, twice. On both occasions, I'd press the bell. Although, both times it had drove past my intending stop. Funnily enough, both times were also on the 101. :P - They were different drivers, one male, the other, female. But they were both very polite, and pointed out  if I wanted the next stop after, which was fine. ;) (Both stops in walking distance.)
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Mike K

Quote from: Liverpool Street on February 18, 2015, 06:42:02 PM
I was one of the arsehole drivers. I didn't have the time to be bothered between the scum and the genuine passengers. So I didn't say a word to anyone. Unless it was @Mike K, I let him share my cab :-)

There wasn't much room in one of those B5LH cabs for the 2 of us though @Liverpool Street. Very cosy.

To be fair some of the drivers at WN don't even say good morning or hello to each other never mind the passengers!! agreed there are many ignorant so and so's there but lets face it we live in a ME ME ME world just cause they bus drivers it makes no odds, people are the same in offices, factories, schools...everywhere.. selfish, ignorant, ill manerred idiots this is 2015!!!
Enviro 200 Rebels......Venturing Out Into New Territory's!!

Trident 4609

Quote from: 4006 on February 18, 2015, 10:23:07 PM
To be fair some of the drivers at WN don't even say good morning or hello to each other never mind the passengers!! agreed there are many ignorant so and so's there but lets face it we live in a ME ME ME world just cause they bus drivers it makes no odds, people are the same in offices, factories, schools...everywhere.. selfish, ignorant, ill manerred idiots this is 2015!!!

And then on the other hand there are many polite drivers at Park Lane. It seems everyone thinks Park Lane is a garage full of grumpy drivers ::) rant over lol

Sh4318

A thank you is nice to receive, but I don't expect it from NX drivers, which is disappointing - in my personal opinion. I say thank you for driving me to my destination, you say thank you for paying for the service, but like I said, that's just what I think. I usually say thank you to the LM train conductors (only when I get off on platform 3 at Smethwick Galton Bridge) and receive a thank you back, which is nice
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

mranon

there are some ignorant berks, but then again some really nice helpful drivers at park lane. its a thankless job though nowadays.

Liberator9

@Nathan

I've met some cheery WN drivers before now - had one near the start of the year who wished me a happy afternoon at the Wolves game and laughed when I said probably won't win! Known a few others, particularly on the 27/27A before now who are quite cheery and polite. Saw a very nice move by a 2 driver in December who stopped to wait up for a lady running down the road for the bus; the YW 6 drivers are quite good at stopping in a morning for running passengers despite it being a regular service.

Stuharris 6360

Speaking for PE, i have found that 99.9% of drivers are polite and helpful, you will always get that 0.1% and don't forget its not just NE, most bus companies are the same.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Liverpool Street

Quote from: mranon on February 18, 2015, 10:32:09 PM
there are some ignorant berks, but then again some really nice helpful drivers at park lane. its a thankless job though nowadays.

Oh and every single passenger isn't an ignorant Berk themselves? I see this swaying into a very one way argument. Frankly I find it laughable that you lot are because someone didn't say thanks. Who really, truly cares? You've got the place you wanted to go and that's it. Do you thank your car every time you get out of it at your destination? Or thank yourself for that matter? Personally (I've vague memories I've said this before... Is this topic a duplicate?) I think its these little petty things which make you blind to the bigger picture. I think you're asking for too much. That poor driver has to sit there and thank over 600 people a day for using a bus? (Regardless of the fact that, in that group, they've also thanked scumbags for travelling for free...) Put it in context guys.
Quote from: 2900
One thing Daimler Mercedes Benz are good at is producing excellent Diesel engines, I do miss the sound of the 0405n for all its faults you couldn't knock that 12 litre engine.
Quote from: karl724223
until it cought fire

andrew1991

don't forget the passengers with ear phones in, looking at their phones (don't even look at the driver) and just throw the money in the cash vault.......

trident4370

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk