News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Claribels

Started by monkeyjoe, May 02, 2012, 02:55:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monkeyjoe

What do people think of these guys as an operator?

They have come a long way since operating dodgy old coaches on the 94; to these days operating in my view much better standard of transport on the 94/55/71 etc ?

D10

Agree totally, an operator that has carved itself a very useful niche in east Birmingham by being a high quality operator.

Lukeee

Quite possibally one of the West Midlands operators.

monkeyjoe

When they first came out, it used to be like riding one of those dodgy old school coaches with loads of people smoking and the old people couldn't get on them as the stairs were so high.

D10

Quote from: monkeyjoe on May 02, 2012, 10:11:41 PM
When they first came out, it used to be like riding one of those dodgy old school coaches with loads of people smoking and the old people couldn't get on them as the stairs were so high.

Funny you should say that as Claribels did for a time in the 1990's operate a Leopard coach (PHH 613R)  that I went to school on  when it was with Tanners International of Banbury and then Midland Red South. Ahh happy days!

MW

Quote from: monkeyjoe on May 02, 2012, 10:11:41 PM

It is understandable though. Diamond probably had clapped out bangers when it first started too, oh wait, it still does.

But the point still stands, when an operator starts up, chances are they'll have tat, or near enough to tat. The modern day equivalent would have M/N reg darts, or possibly P reg early low floor darts if they're lucky. Once they start pulling up the customers, whether it be through comprehensive marketing, and a reliable route, as well as undercutting NXWM, then they can or will soon enough invest in better vehicles. A good (maybe not so good) example is GRS who've got some or one low floor bus now. Joes Travel have also upgraded from their ancient Darts, to some less ancient Darts, so it is understandable.

Ash

The royale centro's and hybrid versa's are very clapped out Im suprised they climb hills with any gradient :)

Never used Claribels but the buses look awesome and always seem very full is the max fare still £1.30 or has it increased

Gareth

Claribel fares now £1.50. My first experience of them it was a child fare of 20p from ward End Park to Saltley gate!

Here are some old Claribel photos for you all to enjoy

http://www.flickr.com/photos/discogareth/6928174277/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/discogareth/6782053750/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/discogareth/6782053480/

suavegarv

I'm sure they used ex-London Routemasters briefly if my memory serves me right.

Also their departure times on their 71 are two minutes ahead of NXWM 71 to obviously cream off the passengers. At times,instead of going to Solihull station,they turn round at Poplar Road island to get to the stop when there seems to be a large loading. I thought these practices had stopped yonks ago. :-\

MW

Quote from: suavegarv on May 03, 2012, 10:21:13 PM

Also their departure times on their 71 are two minutes ahead of NXWM 71 to obviously cream off the passengers. At times,instead of going to Solihull station,they turn round at Poplar Road island to get to the stop when there seems to be a large loading. I thought these practices had stopped yonks ago. :-\

No they don't.

The 37 also does this and they do it because a lot of buses have clogged up, or is late to get them back on time. The 37 turns right at the end of Warwick Road and comes back through the Town Centre avoiding the station. I don't think it's because of Claribels.

Gareth

Quote from: suavegarv on May 03, 2012, 10:21:13 PM

It was Frontline buses who used Routemasters on the 94, along with other ex WMT buses. Fleetlines (PR, MCW and EL bodied) and Nationals.

Any plans on Claribels extending their route network? Would like to see them compete with NXWM on the 37. I think with their lower fares, immaculate vehicles and excellent service I think they will do very well and will certainly give NXWM a run for their money unlike Blue Diamond.

Liberator9

Claribels are excellent. The buses are always smartly turned out and well maintained. Recently rode on one of their 12 reg Pulsars and I must say they are similar to the Commanders. I only wish they operated the S2 and S3 round by me!

Ally

Claribels Silverline Solo YJ56 APK was broken down in the middle of the road at the Wheatsheaf Junction yesterday (Friday) about 11:15, thankfully not in the middle of the junction but in the middle of Lode Lane (is it Lode Lane where the NX 957 turns off? I forget now).

(Posted in the wrong section with the wrong name because I'm a fool! *Puts on Dunce hat*)
~ Alistair (A.K.A. Ally)
~ Originally from Bedworth, Warwickshire. Now residing in Bristol
~ CSA at National Express, Bristol
~ https://www.facebook.com/alistair.transportchat

Tony

Quote from: Ally on May 26, 2012, 12:48:12 AM
Claribels Solo YJ56 APK was broken down in the middle of the road at the Wheatsheaf Junction yesterday (Friday) about 11:15, thankfully not in the middle of the junction but in the middle of Lode Lane (is it Lode Lane where the NX 957 turns off? I forget now).

Claribels do not operate any Solos, don't blame them for that.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk