News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Vehicle Transfers

Started by Ash, March 19, 2012, 08:10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nathan4775

Quote from: Michael on April 29, 2012, 05:08:47 PM
Quote from: Peter123 on April 29, 2012, 04:30:41 PM
I think they should do just this-maybe extra long wheelbase volvo b9tl/geminis like Lothian have as these are really smart looking buses and should be solidly built and reliable. These would help capacity problems on some routes.

But would they be able to cope with the tight turns on the Outer Circle? A little re-routing could easily fix the problem however.

Ominlinks can just about cope with the tuen on the 11 so why carnt other buses
My Flickr;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/90949252@N04/
-----------------------------------------------------------------
4775, 4770, 4697, 4698 , 4141, 4444, 4555

PM

They probably would but I never use the 11 so I wouldnt really know.

MW

Quote from: Peter123 on April 29, 2012, 05:13:54 PM
I didnt initially propose them for the outer circle as this is what i thought but for many routes they would be fine...

Fair play. Hopefully NX is developing some sort of relationship with Wrightbus (what with the 152 Eclipses), so maybe we can expect more orders. It would be nice though for AG to gain some newer vehicles for the 11. As previously mentioned, the 11 hasn't got a history of getting new vehicles, but what about in 2004 when it gained 45 new Geminis (split between AG & PB). NX must have saw sense when they bought the Geminis, although I do believe that Centro supported the funding.  Maybe with the BSOG and Centro, NX could get some B5L Gemini2s for the 11.

Nathan4775

Were are all WB Plaxtons going
My Flickr;

MW

Quote from: NathanJC on April 29, 2012, 05:17:44 PM
I think they should do just this-maybe extra long wheelbase volvo b9tl/geminis like Lothian have as these are really smart looking buses and should be solidly built and reliable. These would help capacity problems on some routes.

But would they be able to cope with the tight turns on the Outer Circle? A little re-routing could easily fix the problem however.

They can, but they do struggle. The Scanias are around 12metres, and the long wheel base Geminis are 11.4m I think, as opposed to the standard 10.6-8m double decker.

Nathan4775

Quote from: Michael on April 29, 2012, 05:21:26 PM
Quote from: NathanJC on April 29, 2012, 05:17:44 PM

They can, but they do struggle. The Scanias are around 12metres, and the long wheel base Geminis are 11.4m I think, as opposed to the standard 10.6-8m double decker.

Ive only ever seen 1 problem with an omilink on the 11A and thats Handsworth, were the drivers decided to park the cars wereever they want which makes it hard for buses, hence why doubles are used on the 11A/C
My Flickr;

MW

Quote from: NathanJC on April 29, 2012, 05:23:38 PM
Ive only ever seen 1 problem with an omilink on the 11A and thats Handsworth, were the drivers decided to park the cars wereever they want which makes it hard for buses, hence why doubles are used on the 11A/C

Do you just make b***s*** up on the spot or what? The 11 is a double deck service because of it's high usage, not because of parking in Handsworth.

PM

Long wheelbase geminis look great to be honest and i think as Michael said we can expect plenty of new buses coming into the fleet soon. Tho i hope there not the volvo hybrids as theyre too small, the wheelbase is too diddy and unusually the wright bodywork looks ugly and the interior is rubbish.

Nathan4775

Quote from: Michael on April 29, 2012, 05:25:33 PM
Quote from: NathanJC on April 29, 2012, 05:23:38 PM

Do you just make b***s*** up on the spot or what? The 11 is a double deck service because of it's high usage, not because of parking in Handsworth.

NO I  do not, ovbs thats why Doubles are used, when I post comments I really need to consider you, ITS RARE FOR A SINGLE DECKER TO OPERATE THE 11A >:(
My Flickr;

MW

So you're telling me and everybody else in this forum that the reason the 11 is a double deck service is because of the parking in Handsworth. The whole of the Outer Circle 26 mile service is double deck because of Handsworth parking issues.

I do not even wish to question you on the 11S ran by Perry Barr then...

Tony

There are no problems getting any buses around the outer Circle, I have driven 6011 around the full circle as part of my bendibus training, and if that fitted anything will.

End arguing now please
Nathan posting a silly statement saying that is why single decks are used, but no personal attacks either way

PM

Quote from: Tony on April 29, 2012, 05:41:43 PM
There are no problems getting any buses around the outer Circle, I have driven 6011 around the full circle as part of my bendibus training, and if that fitted anything will.

Oh right, I didn't know that. In that case, I think some long wheelbase deckers would be a good idea

Ash

I wouldnt think all of the presidents will leave WB as theres too many to replace im sure some will be kept for the 451 and other routes that work around the West Brom area to replace some of the mercs in service on routes like the 448/9

Stu

Quote from: Gareth on April 29, 2012, 01:12:14 PM
Personally I dont think the Outer Circle will ever get any kind of flagship or hybrid status. Imagine all the publicity and money spent for a route that runs in convoys of 3 or 4 at times. Not a good advert. The 11 has always had older buses. 25 year old Birmingham Standards, continued by open platform ex Municipal stock, then the first generation 2 man fleetlines. Even in recent years, it was still 100% Metrobus.

Thats not to say the outer circle doesnt deserve new stock and a better travelling experience for the public, it just seems there are other routes that will always take priority.

I don't think you remember 2004 very well, when the Geminis were introduced to AG and PB (who shared the route back then) for the 11A/C, the buses were branded, and all the stops and shelters were upgraded with CCTV and real-time displays as the service became a 'showcase' route.

The 11 is one of NXWM's flagship services, and known throughout Europe, if not the world. Its featured on news programmes, has its own tribute website, and various events take place around its route. Even on the last day of Metrobus operation at AG, one did two full loops of the route.

Maybe next year, or the year after, then the 11 will get upgraded again with new buses.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

monkeyjoe

94 also used to be a flagship, now that is going to pot too.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk