News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Hopes and Predictions for 2018

Started by the trainbasher, December 23, 2017, 08:03:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the trainbasher

So, 2018 is nearly upon us (in less than 10 days!) so I think it's time that we launch the 2018 prediction thread

Now, getting my crystal ball out, I'm going to make 5 predictions that I think will happen in 2018

- Rotala will expand in the Midlands by acquiring one of claribels or Johnson's.

- at least two buses from the National Express West Midlands fleet will go up in flames

- the NX Bus contactless payment system will fail to operate correctly on its first day across the fleet

- there will be a major accident involving a bus or two which will bring on the debate about adding seatbelts on the buses

- sprint will be officially cancelled

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

markcf83

The fourth one is a total non runner.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Steve3229vp

HOPES:
Stop route branding red and white liveried buses
PB double deck Scanias to be moved or withdrawn (the least comfortable and most noisy).
934-937 to become X34-X37, 997/997E to become X38/X39 and 907/907A to become X42/42.
Sprint to be cancelled and priority given to Platinum/Sapphire etc.
BAN cars from the Markets/Bull Ring, I'm fed up having to get off the 50 in Bradford Street and walking to City BEATING the bus I got off.
Now there is going to be a Heritage Metrobus, I would like a Heritage Fleetline in WMPTE colours.

PREDICTIONS:
126 to be split into routes (26 Birmingham to Dudley and 21 Dudley to Wolverhampton).
74 to run Dudley to West Bromwich, NEW 15 to run Birmingham to West Bromwich.
X51 to be increased to every 8 minutes.

Trident 4194

HOPES: new single deckers for the x96- ideally citaros
            The x9 to actually happen
            Platinum streetdecks

Predictions:
            Rotala take over some igo services
            New buses For the 002
            Most of the b7tl alx 400 to be withdrawn
            More bus lanes in city centre

Quote from: Trident 4194 on December 23, 2017, 10:10:57 PM
HOPES: new single deckers for the x96- ideally citaros
            The x9 to actually happen
            Platinum streetdecks
- New Platinum Deckers for the 11 (Outer Circle).
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

:D

1. One of major bus routes will have their frequency increased without modifying other routes to compensate for it. I might be recalling incorrectly but this hasn't happened in a while except for 51/X51.
2. The progress on Camp Hill chord will pass a major hurdle meaning it's no longer a pipe dream any more.
3. Drastic actions will be taken in regards to worsening traffic conditions in Birmingham to determinant of car drivers.
4. Either the 74 or 97 will be given a platinum treatment with or without modifying their routes (e.g. chopping the 74 in half or something like that).
5. Network WM will have another go at city centre bus shuttle and other bus routes (e.g. 16 and 126) that does similar job will be cut back as consequence.

winston

I'm thinking the following could happen during 2018:

- At least two more municipal bus companies will be sold off, most likely being Halton & Warrington
- First Group will make UK Bus disposals to pay down debt / turnaround First UK Bus fortunes - First Manchester would be a strong contender for disposal, what's left of First Potteries could finally be put of it's misery under First & First South Yorkshire could well be included
- Arriva will dispose of it's Cannock operations and this could well include more depot/ops of the former Arriva Midlands North - Rotala being the most likely buyer
- Rotala to expand further in the Midlands with the purchase of Igo / new Tividale depot to commence construction to accommodate those additonal ops.

With Birmingham winning the bid to host the Commenwealth Games in 2022, over the next 4 years I would like to see the new Mayor implement measures to ban cars completely from an increasing number of roads within Birmingham City Centre including Broad St, increased bus priorities throughout the WM, new Park & Ride sites developed to serve Birmingham City Centre aimed at commuters / shoppers with low cost parking.

Jack

HOPES:
The 28 to have some competition, Diamond vs NX? I'd like that to happen.
The 51 to have its E400's Crimsonised.
The 52/A to be permanent Double Deckers. PB please to putting the E200's on it!
More City Centre loops like the 16 etc.
X70 to have Platniums.
A small midibus route that would give the elderly from Perry Beeches a service that enters One Stop Centre, direct. Maybe the 628? I know it didn't work a few years ago but it would be appreciated if it came back by many people. Run from Hassop Road terminus to One Stop shopping centre. Every 30 minutes in each direction, with a PVR of 1. Mon-Sat daytimes. I'd like this link to return as would many people.

Quote from: Jack on December 23, 2017, 10:58:48 PM
A small midibus route that would give the elderly from Perry Beeches a service that enters One Stop Centre, direct. Maybe the 628? I know it didn't work a few years ago but it would be appreciated if it came back by many people. Run from Hassop Road terminus to One Stop shopping centre. Every 30 minutes in each direction, with a PVR of 1. Mon-Sat daytimes. I'd like this link to return as would many people.
Don't the 52/A and 424 already do that?
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Jack

Quote from: 2206 on December 23, 2017, 11:16:37 PM
Don't the 52/A and 424 already do that?
The 424 takes way too long and the 52/A only serves One Stop shopping centre on outbound journeys. People hate having to use that disgusting subway to get from one side to the other.
Anyway when the 628 was withdrawn, Asda at One Stop was saying how they lost trade because of the link being taken off. A lot of people here say it would be greatly appreciated. Hardly anyone uses the 424 in the Perry Beeches because there is more quicker buses to Scott Arms and Birmingham.

Mike K

New Platinum hybrid buses for Harborne.

Wait, hang on a minute....

Sh4318

I expect the 129 to be withdrawn at some point... hopefully replaced by the previous 129.

74 to be chopped in half. It'll be interesting to see which route receives new buses next, plenty of candidates
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Westy

Must admit I've wondered what was the point of route branding red & white buses, especially using the new style branding designed for the crimson buses, like they did with the Wolves 59!

Michael Bevan

Hopes:

X51 will have additional peak time journeys added to try and relieve the overcrowding at peak times (possibly short workings to Scott Arms).
11, 11U and 12X will go Platinum.
Perry Barr Scania Omincity's will transfer elsewhere.
110 will receive new buses resulting in the E40D's transferring elsewhere.
X51 will run to Cannock throughout the day.

Predictions:

A few routes will be split including the 74 and 126.
Rotala will expand further in the West Midlands by acquiring another company and using resources from Wessex.
Rotala will also win some more tenders from TfWM.
A small West Midlands operator will cease trading.
An Arriva Midlands depot will most likely be sold off.
Central Buses will get some new vehicles.
A couple more double deckers will enter the training fleet.
The Volvo B10B's single deckers in the training fleet will all be withdrawn.
X70 will go Platinum (or at least use any spare Platinum's all week).
WB5 will receive branded buses.
Walsall will receive a new batch of Platinum's allowing the ZF batch to be transferred.
NXWM will receive a new coach at Walsall to replace FJ11 MJY.
Travel De Courcey will get some more Levante's to replace their older B9R's.
An NXWM low floor vehicle will enter preservation (most likely an ALX400).

Jack

Quote from: Michael Bevan on December 24, 2017, 10:24:43 AM
Hopes:
Perry Barr Scania Omincity's will transfer elsewhere.
I've always wondered what will happen to them. Considering 4 are left in service, I wonder what will happen to them. If they were to move out I would like to see them at West Bromwich weirdly. But I'd love them to stay at PB for a good few years, I'm dying to see one in Crimson.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk