News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

New Street To Wolverhampton Rail Replacement.

Started by 2206, December 22, 2017, 10:08:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MW

Quote from: Kevin2017 on December 31, 2017, 01:04:09 PM
Well the data is their, why not use it? where in the 21st centenary, god damn it!

Make use of what is out their etc

Also the century of autocorrect...

But on a serious note, a vehicle finder serves no benefit to the customer.

Kevin2017

It does not have to be a finder, it can simply be a app or something, lot of apps on mobiles include the bus reg etc

Kevin

Quote from: MW on December 31, 2017, 01:42:01 PM
But on a serious note, a vehicle finder serves no benefit to the customer.

That may be valid, but it is of benefit for enthusiasts, and that from what I can see is the sole reason for it's existence
Like this forum, no use for the general public but it doesn't exist for them, it's for people like us
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

GeminiFan1991

Quote from: Kevin on December 31, 2017, 05:43:29 PM
That may be valid, but it is of benefit for enthusiasts, and that from what I can see is the sole reason for it's existence
Like this forum, no use for the general public but it doesn't exist for them, it's for people like us

Thats a valid argument but then again, those who are interested in buses and whatnot, have this forum so why create a partition in a app just to accommodate a small minority who to an extent already have access to the information they want ?

I agree with MW on the fact that it seems quite excessive for NX to go out of their way to incorporate a system into their current app so that enthusiasts can find a particular bus. This is why the "Buses To Find" thread exists. It's just a load of extra data company data the average bus user would be exposed to, that they don't really care for and it doesn't benefit them.
I honestly reckon the most a bus user actually cares for is that the bus turns up, if the bus is a Platinum on a non Platinum route, then its a nice surprise as you get some nice seats and you can charge your phone. I can't imagine the average bus user really giving a toss about the fleet number or the reg of a bus.
Please check out my Bus Photos @

https://www.flickr.com/photos/128406405@N06/

Kevin2017

Well I think some of you have a very closed minded approach and negative view on it.

Ian Hardy

The reason that London Vehicle Finder is in existance is that TfL mandates that the company installs IBus equipment in all vehicles operating on LBSL contracts. The Ibus system drives countdown displays etc and more importantly allows TfL to monitor the contractor operations and ensure that they are following the contracted requirements. The bus companies do not own the data.

As a public organisation TfL has decided to release it's data to web and app developers to use, which has enabled LVF to be created.

P.S. The IBus system is why some vehicles take an age to go into service after being delivered as there are a finite number of spare IBus units, so units have to be removed from withdrawn vehicles.

Reading Buses and Lothian Buses are both still owned by their local authority so are covered by the Freedom of Information Act so could be forced to release this information. It just so happens that RB & LB are headed up by persons who are enthusiasts and both have AVL systems and Bus Stop displays which will have this data so it is easy to make it available.

NXWM however are a private company (i.e. not owned by a local authority so are not covered by the Freedom of Information Act) and so their AVL data could be classed as commercially sensitive. Also the live bus departure information on the NXWM website is provided by Network West Midlands and not NXWM.

Happy New Year

Tony

BC have 4875; 4876; 4879; 4880; 4949 on there today

Dylanbusboy45

Quote from: Tony on January 02, 2018, 08:55:18 AM

There's a Johnson's MMC400 currently parked up along with some Green Bus Presidents at New St

Nxwm

Quote from: Tony on December 23, 2017, 09:13:04 AM
NXWM have both contracts, but have subcontracted some out to other operators including Midland Classic and Green Bus

@Tony is there any reason as to why national express don't keep rail replacement in house like they used to and Perry Barr used operate majority of the rail replacement

Tony

Quote from: Nxwm on January 02, 2018, 10:06:18 AM
@Tony is there any reason as to why national express don't keep rail replacement in house like they used to and Perry Barr used operate majority of the rail replacement

Where do you think all the buses and drivers are going to appear from on a day when they are operating a full normal service like today

P419 EJW

Quote from: Tony on January 02, 2018, 08:55:18 AM

4168 and 6770 are on RR too.

John

Quote from: Nxwm on January 02, 2018, 10:06:18 AM

We are also very short on drivers too

Tony

P419 EJW

Today (2/1/18): TGB had V544 MOA, V51 MOA, T61 KLD, V15 TGB, PO51 WNF, PO51 WNJ, NK51 UCH, and sure it was Y38 HWB.

Midland Classic had BV55 UCU, and YN57 FWG.

fleetline6477

Quote from: Tony on January 02, 2018, 10:21:44 AM
Where do you think all the buses and drivers are going to appear from on a day when they are operating a full normal service like today

If NX, or any other operator for that matter, don't have the capacity to run a service then why commit to taking it on?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk