News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Platinum Rant

Started by MW, November 18, 2017, 01:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trident 4194

Quote from: John on November 18, 2017, 05:39:31 PM
Of his own accord

I assume he's had plenty of years driving experience? Anything like this happened before with the same bus driver?

CL

Quote from: Mike K on November 18, 2017, 10:16:05 PM
I don't think you'll find that being answered on here. Good on the bloke, he's only done what most of us would like to be able to do in the same circumstances, not letting lowlife scum take the p*ss.
From what I gather, drivers aren't really meant to leave the cab? That's something that has appeared to have been picked up a lot, on here and on social media.

Who remembers the other *recorded* incident of a guy on the PB28, IIRC, who was abusive to the driver who had asked to check his ticket thoroughly? Banging on the assault shield, etc... Driver didn't get out the cab then, but I recall him sounding the bandit alarm.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-passenger-hurls-shocking-abuse-11261467

Another incident, not in Birmingham, which has always stuck in my mind is one where a driver got out the cab and "manhandled" a passenger who spat at him; essentially throwing him off the bus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4199322/Bus-driver-throws-passenger-spat-face.html

These two immediately came to mind when I saw this thread. Not to go too off-course, but what do people think about these situations?
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Quote from: CL on November 18, 2017, 10:24:33 PM
From what I gather, drivers aren't really meant to leave the cab? That's something that has appeared to have been picked up a lot, on here and on social media.

Who remembers the other *recorded* incident of a guy on the PB28, IIRC, who was abusive to the driver who had asked to check his ticket thoroughly? Banging on the assault shield, etc... Driver didn't get out the cab then, but I recall him sounding the bandit alarm.

http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/watch-passenger-hurls-shocking-abuse-11261467

Another incident, not in Birmingham, which has always stuck in my mind is one where a driver got out the cab and "manhandled" a passenger who spat at him; essentially throwing him off the bus.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4199322/Bus-driver-throws-passenger-spat-face.html

These two immediately came to mind when I saw this thread. Not to go too off-course, but what do people think about these situations?
BY 8C, not PB 28! The article you've just posted a link to even says it happened on the 8C.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

fleetline6477

The driver clearly put himself and other passengers at risk.

This woman is elderly using a walking aid, she clearly has a valid pass and it just trying to use it before 9.30. Had he just let her on the bus the situation wouldn't have escalated into a shouting match. This could easily have got out of hand by escalating into something more abusive or even physical especially if other passengers had got involved either taking the side of the driver or passenger. It also puts other passengers in a difficult position, should they ignore what is going on or try and calm things down.

As a NX bus driver in this situation he's the professional and there are procedures in place which attempt to deal with this kind of situation. It appears that he's broken company guidelines and policy and hopefully the matter will be dealt with.

Would he have been so keen to get out of his cab and have a go had the passenger been a bloke bigger than him? Was he so keen to have a go because it was a woman?

I expect that by the time the driver had finished his rant it would 9.30 anyway so her pass would be valid.

Having worked himself up into such a state was he really safe to drive on?

Westy

What was her reason for catching the bus early?

Didn't catch it on the audio!

Steveminor

"The inspectors had told her because she has a medical complaint she can use her pass before 930".
The trouble is that so many drivers ignore out of date passes passes used out of time that people now expect they will always get away with it.

Quote from: Steveminor on November 19, 2017, 08:31:51 AM
"The inspectors had told her because she has a medical complaint she can use her pass before 930".
The trouble is that so many drivers ignore out of date passes passes used out of time that people now expect they will always get away with it.
I doubt anybody told her she can use her pass before 09:30, when the pass is not valid?
Everyone else who has one has to wait till 09:30, or pay, so surely she'd be no different?
Just using it as an exsuse to get on the bus before 09:30 it seems.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

Westy

If thats the case, why didnt she carry the paperwork with her, that told her she could do this, especially if it had National Express or TfWm headed notepaper, then all it needed was a swift call to control to check.

In fact isnt there a disability pass that covers pre 930am journeys?

If it was so vital, then why didnt she get her Gp to sign something that allowed her to get said pass, instead of peeing off the driver?

Some people do make a rod for their own backs dont they!

Quote from: Westy on November 19, 2017, 09:55:44 AM
If thats the case, why didnt she carry the paperwork with her, that told her she could do this, especially if it had National Express or TfWm headed notepaper, then all it needed was a swift call to control to check.

In fact isnt there a disability pass that covers pre 930am journeys?

If it was so vital, then why didnt she get her Gp to sign something that allowed her to get said pass, instead of peeing off the driver?

Some people do make a rod for their own backs dont they!
Monday to Friday the pass is only Valid after 09:30.
They may be able to get financial help from the Council if they have to use the bus before 09:30 and they may be able to get financial help if they have a NHS appointment.
Otherwise you can buy a Earlybird pre 09:30 NX or NBus add on pass for use before 09:30.
https://www.networkwestmidlands.com/tickets-and-passes/older-persons-pass/
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

mranon

same old same old, why cant people be greatful they have a free travel pass and if they wish to use the bus outside the permitted boundaries they have to pay. problem is companies are not clear, and some drivers just let them on to avoid conflict. if the inspectors got on that drivers bus, and found that person before 9.30, I dare say the driver would be in trouble, so you cant win.

MW

Quote from: mranon on November 19, 2017, 10:02:30 PM
same old same old, why cant people be greatful they have a free travel pass and if they wish to use the bus outside the permitted boundaries they have to pay. problem is companies are not clear, and some drivers just let them on to avoid conflict. if the inspectors got on that drivers bus, and found that person before 9.30, I dare say the driver would be in trouble, so you cant win.

The driver would be in no trouble whatsoever. It's all bollocks. I had loads of people walk on the 11 and not give a damn. When inspectors came, I told them straight.

No disrespect but too many drivers are jobsworths.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk