News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

New Deliveries / New Livery & Branding Discussion

Started by barry, March 06, 2015, 10:51:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike K

It seems as though USB and Wifi plus leather / eleather / part leather seats are becoming standard offerings on the majority of new vehicles of most major operators these days. So much so that I struggle to see what Stagecoach Gold offers that many of the company's standard new E400 MMCs don't.

Not knocking it, it's all good for passengers but I wonder whther the concept of premium vs standard brands will disappear altogether at some stage, and eventually all new NX buses will also offer the features currently under the Platinum brand.

Jack

Quote from: The Fox 4846 on November 22, 2017, 10:06:33 PM
Personally I feel that although the MK1 environs are great, the MK2's are a let down (especially the 61 plates). However I would like to see some new Volvo Gemini 3's brought in from next year in standard. I think these would be great for lots of services, mainly the 33, 51 65/67 and chelmsley routes.
Why upgrade the 33 and 51? The MK2 E400's are good buses (61 plates are better than the others). Just repaint and refurb the batch at Walsall and they look as good as new. The 33 looks extremely smart and still gets the odd Gemini everyday.

Sh4318

Quote from: Jack on November 22, 2017, 11:01:27 PM
Why upgrade the 33 and 51? The MK2 E400's are good buses (61 plates are better than the others). Just repaint and refurb the batch at Walsall and they look as good as new. The 33 looks extremely smart and still gets the odd Gemini everyday.

Think you may have answered your own question in the last sentence
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

winston

Quote from: Tony on November 22, 2017, 11:43:27 AM
6855 at Falkirk
http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/5001-9959/6855.html

Is 'National Express' being dropped from the NXWM fleetname or was the logo just not fully applied?

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 22, 2017, 11:26:57 PM
I disagree.
Nothing wrong with a odd repainted and refurbed crimson Gemini.
Local Routes
94/95, 11A/11C, 28.

CL

Quote from: Winston on November 22, 2017, 11:39:48 PM
Is 'National Express' being dropped from the NXWM fleetname or was the logo just not fully applied?
I'd assume the latter; when first photos of the 2014 WB/BC E400s surfaced, I thought they'd dropped the 'West Midlands' brand name, to be honest.

e.g. http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4700-4879/4951.html - then again, would one argue different circumstances?
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

winston

Quote from: CL on November 22, 2017, 11:42:51 PM
I'd assume the latter; when first photos of the 2014 WB/BC E400s surfaced, I thought they'd dropped the 'West Midlands' brand name, to be honest.

e.g. http://wmbusphotos.com/NXWM/4700-4879/4951.html - then again, would one argue different circumstances?

Those were purely just branded as NX as they worked the Commonwealth Games shuttles in Scotland before being delivered to NXWM

The Real 4778

Quote from: Trident 4194 on November 22, 2017, 10:42:45 PM
Yeah the bus enthusiast for people who like nx is very dull it has to be said.

I like NX but I don't find the bus enthusiast very dull.  Maybe you were referring to another bus enthusiast.
Don't you start.

Tony

6855 & 6856 should arrive at BC tomorrow morning

Sh4318

Quote from: 2206 on November 22, 2017, 11:41:12 PM
I disagree.
Nothing wrong with a odd repainted and refurbed crimson Gemini.

I never said there was. But not being able to have a full set of a certain bus type can lead to an upgrade, I.e. Dudley Road
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Kevin

Quote from: paulb1973 on November 22, 2017, 08:26:06 PM
The 6101-48 Enviro 400 MMC's were the last batch of 'normal' double decks (the five Wright StreetDecks aside) that were not Platinum. Will we see further E400 MMC's in the crimson red? Fleet numbers could be stuck at 6148 for a while!

I never quite understood why the Platinums started at 6701, previous batches of high spec buses (Geminis and E400s) were numbered as part of the original series and it carried on with normal buses afterwards. If they carry on with the Platinum numbers then only a few upgrades later we'll start hitting 7000 when we already have Scanias. Normal spec ADL products on the other hand have hundreds of fleetnumbers to use up

In a similar vein, I'd imagine any future deliveries from other operators (Wright Streetdecks?) would continue the 33xx series?
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Jack

Quote from: Sh4318 on November 22, 2017, 11:26:57 PM
I never said there is a problem putting Gemini's or ALX400's on the 33. I replyed to @The Fox 4846 who said the 33/51 need an upgrade which they don't. Just because I said it still has Gemini's doesn't mean it needs upgrading!

paulb1973

Quote from: Kevin on November 23, 2017, 01:59:10 PM
I never quite understood why the Platinums started at 6701, previous batches of high spec buses (Geminis and E400s) were numbered as part of the original series and it carried on with normal buses afterwards. If they carry on with the Platinum numbers then only a few upgrades later we'll start hitting 7000 when we already have Scanias. Normal spec ADL products on the other hand have hundreds of fleetnumbers to use up

In a similar vein, I'd imagine any future deliveries from other operators (Wright Streetdecks?) would continue the 33xx series?

I'm not totally sure why those five StreetDecks received such a low range of numbers compared to other double decks of a similar age. They certainly stand out (which is probably the point of the numbers chosen!) but generally speaking separate batches of buses tend to get 'higher' numbers (eg. 6xxx for the Bendibuses, and 54xx/55xx for the Hybrids). I always thought 5001-5 would have been better for those five. You could say the 60xx range for the articulated fleet is a slight waste of numbers, as it seems unlikely NXWM will ever order any more!

If anything it might have been better to number the Platinums at 6101 (and the 'normal' E400 MMC's from 6701 !) that would allow for a theoretical 600-odd Platinum buses. Otherwise, as you say, we'll be hitting 7000 soon. And 7001-33 etc are already taken. The branding has been so successful, perhaps they didn't anticipate needing over 300 numbers. Granted that number of buses hasn't been reached yet.

don

It would be simple to change the 7/8 of 67xx/68xx to a lower number if the need arises - presuming the systems in place can deal with reuse of the released numbers!

However, unless there's been a change in Policy (entirely possible given new NX Bus management this year), I would doubt 6101-6148 remain unique as 'standard Crimson spec' new MMCs. Noting that Coventry need 49 odd new or transferred (long term, not v elderly Trident) vehicles perhaps we'll see some new blue MMCs in due course - although it wouldn't surprise me if they have Platinum spec as well on the Leamington corridor.

I agree regarding the closing of spec nationally between premium and normal buses - travelling a lot on More bus (Go South Coast) recently, many of their vehicles on standard urban routes have usb and wifi and leather seats - only the longer distance routes have tables as well...

Regarding the Streetdecks, whether it's a coincidence or not, 3301 was the first BCT Metro Cammell Fleetline in 1963 - it also allows 700 vehicles before previously used 4001 occurs again. It remains to be seen whether a bulk order is placed at some stage - it would seem logical if not probable that a second supplier of double deck diesel or hybrids would be used.
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

don

6855 appears to have the cab side fleet number and lettering in reversed positions - the fleet number is midway along the cab side. When vehicles are lined up in a depot probably more difficult to identify from the offside. Incorrect application or change of Policy?
Bustimes.org - armchair bus chasing at its best
wmbusphotos.com - armchair bus spotting and news at its best.

Current 'special passenger validation' permit held.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk