News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Old destination displays

Started by Westy, April 09, 2024, 05:50:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Westy

Why didn't TPTB do what was done with the Ailsa Volvo's & change the number blinds to electronic across the fleet?

Wumpty

Quote from: Westy on April 13, 2024, 01:46:43 PMWhy didn't TPTB do what was done with the Ailsa Volvo's & change the number blinds to electronic across the fleet
The Ailsa's had the Vultron blinds fitted as they had front mounted engines, meaning drivers had to leave the cab by an exterior offside cab door and walk around the outside of the bus. Vultron system was still relatively new technology and expensive, so retro fitting the entire fleet was impractical.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

Mike K

Quote from: Wumpty on April 14, 2024, 04:11:21 PMThe Ailsa's had the Vultron blinds fitted as they had front mounted engines, meaning drivers had to leave the cab by an exterior offside cab door and walk around the outside of the bus. Vultron system was still relatively new technology and expensive, so retro fitting the entire fleet was impractical.
Those early electronic number blinds were actually very poor in terms of readability compared to the roller blinds. This photo (not mine) illustrates that:

https://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Nsz4ULjIHf8/VkB4xKb_iFI/AAAAAAAAOCE/NnpR0A1236M/s1600/JOV-740P.Wmpte.jpg

fleetline6477

Quote from: Wumpty on April 14, 2024, 04:11:21 PMThe Ailsa's had the Vultron blinds fitted as they had front mounted engines, meaning drivers had to leave the cab by an exterior offside cab door and walk around the outside of the bus. Vultron system was still relatively new technology and expensive, so retro fitting the entire fleet was impractical.
I seem to remember that one fleetline also had them fitted, 6890 if I remember.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: fleetline6477 on April 14, 2024, 05:29:54 PMI seem to remember that one fleetline also had them fitted, 6890 if I remember.
You're right it did and metrobus 2102 I think 

Wumpty

Quote from: Steve3229vp on April 14, 2024, 06:42:28 PMYou're right it did and metrobus 2102 I think
WA2791 was also originally fitted with Vultron, then this was swapped out for a more readable unit.
Autofare 3 - the ticket that laughs in the face of contactless!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk