News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Drivers - Bus Reviews & Opinions

Started by 2900, July 13, 2014, 12:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4044 quite simply a great bus, excellent driving charatistics engine/box smooth, gearbox does whine when slowing from speed sounds good, corners handles brilliantly , suspension good too, excellent chassis on this one, real pleasure to drive this one , superb flying down dual carriageways, 4048 quite similar . Body second refurb looking good still, interior grey cushions, floors pretty clean on this especially upper deck which is surprising to see. Some muppet has etched the tinted glass upstairs, otherwise it would be mint up there, Only downside large steering wheel fitted to this one, some rattling not to much, you,d never guess this is a 15 year old bus. 8/10

4508, probably a boring bus to an enthusiast nothing to pick up on, from drivers point of view great bus to drive excellent chassis engine/ box smooth picks speed nicely , excellent brakes, so is the suspension , takes corners well, buses like this helps to make light work of crap dutys. Feels as though the bus is doing the work not you many Alexander's b7s leave you feeling infuriated, Body refurbed still in good condition , interior grey cushions, not much rattling either. 8/10

Rumours around west brom garage 74 87 to become 24 hour service from sept/October time. Woopie oh what crap if it's true.

the trainbasher

Expect the yobs to be out in force if it's true

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Russ Smith

Unless there are rumours going around other garages, seems a bit weird that the third and fourth real night route would both serve Dudley - surely it'd be better to spread out across the city, say Halesowen or Harborne way?

Mike K

Quote from: Russ Smith on July 23, 2014, 12:24:51 PM
Unless there are rumours going around other garages, seems a bit weird that the third and fourth real night route would both serve Dudley - surely it'd be better to spread out across the city, say Halesowen or Harborne way?

If it's true it sounds as though there may be plans to rebuild a proper network of night buses again along core corridors. It may be that not all will run the full length of the daytime route. In the old days did the 87N run only as far as Oldbury or was it the full length of the route?

Chris2301

I hope they do have a core night bus services returning in the future. Thought they might link birmingham and Wolverhampton N126 and birmingham and stourbridge N9

Trident 4609

Quote from: Chris2301 on July 23, 2014, 02:12:51 PM
I hope they do have a core night bus services returning in the future. Thought they might link birmingham and Wolverhampton N126 and birmingham and stourbridge N9

I did hear a rumour about a 24hr 126 operation although i don't know how true that is?

Mike K

There has never been a 126N historically although that's not to say it won't happen. However if there were in time to be a 74N serving Dudley, an 87N serving Olbury and the surround, and say a 9N along the Hagley Road, you would question whether there was the scope for a 126. In the past the old night networks tended to be just a single route along main routes like the Hagley Rd, Bristol Rd, Stratford Rd etc and coverage of main districts and towns usually (not necessarily always) with a single service.

Sh4318

That would be fantastic news if it was true, and would be really helpful for me, with the 87 being 24/7. Running the 87 at night between Birmingham and Oldbury would still require 2 buses, as would running it the whole length of the route
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Sh4318 on July 23, 2014, 04:35:18 PM
That would be fantastic news if it was true, and would be really helpful for me, with the 87 being 24/7. Running the 87 at night between Birmingham and Oldbury would still require 2 buses, as would running it the whole length of the route

Am sure many years ago when the 86N existed, it ran between Birmingham & Oldbury and only was bus was required.

Just looked in my 1984 timetable book and the 86N ran out via West Bromwich to Oldbury and returned via Smethwick, the journey time being 52 minutes. Maybe they are going to reinstate the 86N
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Sh4318

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on July 23, 2014, 04:38:41 PM
Quote from: Sh4318 on July 23, 2014, 04:35:18 PM

Am sure many years ago when the 86N existed, it ran between Birmingham & Oldbury and only was bus was required.

Looking at the current timetable, the last bus of the day (87E) is a 36 minute journey.
Class 153, 155 and 156. The Super Sprinters
Local Routes: 21, 89, 48/A, 12/A, 54/A
Semi-local routes: 80, 87

Mike K

Night buses used to make up a bit of time on the inbound journeys as they often carried fresh air but you would think an 87 between city and Oldbury would still be tight for single bus operation.

winston

Quote from: Mike K on July 23, 2014, 05:20:10 PM
Night buses used to make up a bit of time on the inbound journeys as they often carried fresh air but you would think an 87 between city and Oldbury would still be tight for single bus operation.

Weren't the last buses on the original 'Night Services' traditionally around 2am  from Birmingham though?

If I remember right, routes which traditionally had night services were the 6N, 9N, 16N, 45N, 50N, 51N, 63N, 74N, 87N, 91N, 104N & 916N. I'm sure there were more over the years

Mike K

Quote from: Winston on July 23, 2014, 05:31:56 PM
Quote from: Mike K on July 23, 2014, 05:20:10 PM

Weren't the last buses on the original 'Night Services' traditionally around 2am  from Birmingham though?

If I remember right, routes which traditionally had night services were the 6N, 9N, 16N, 45N, 50N, 51N, 63N, 74N, 87N, 91N, 104N & 916N. I'm sure there were more over the years

The 12N (Bartley Green, later the 22N), the 37N and the 94N were others.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk