News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

London Buses.

Started by Stuharris 6360, November 21, 2013, 08:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Today a bus on route 541 in London was seen displaying its route and destination with a hand written notice displayed in the front window, causing this comment on the London Bus Group,

"it's the trial operation for the new bargain basement, mega low quality but cheap to run bus network for London modelled on those wonderful Birmingham operators who use clapped out Dennis Darts held together with sticky tape and painted with body primer.  Go Ahead have just started with the A4 and biro element of the operating model. :-)"
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Stu

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 21, 2013, 08:11:24 PM
Today a bus on route 541 in London was seen displaying its route and destination with a hand written notice displayed in the front window, causing this comment on the London Bus Group,

"it's the trial operation for the new bargain basement, mega low quality but cheap to run bus network for London modelled on those wonderful Birmingham operators who use clapped out Dennis Darts held together with sticky tape and painted with body primer.  Go Ahead have just started with the A4 and biro element of the operating model. :-)"

Clearly whoever wrote that comment has never actually been to Birmingham! It's not like every bus up here is a clapped out Dart with handwritten notices.
My locals:
2 - Birmingham to Maypole | 3 - Birmingham to Yardley Wood
11A/C - Birmingham Outer Circle | 27 - Yardley Wood to Frankley
76 - Solihull to Northfield | 169 - Solihull to Kings Heath

West Midlands Bus Users: Website | Facebook | Twitter

Tony

Quote from: Stu on November 21, 2013, 08:41:03 PM

Clearly whoever wrote that comment has never actually been to Birmingham! It's not like every bus up here is a clapped out Dart with handwritten notices.

The comment never said it was, but Birmingham has had its fair share of operators like that. I am told another PI will be coming soon!

the trainbasher

Quote from: Tony on November 21, 2013, 08:48:14 PM

The comment never said it was, but Birmingham has had its fair share of operators like that. I am told another PI will be coming soon!

The PI must be for a VIP... :-)

All opinions and onions mentioned on here are mine and not those of any employer, current, past, present or future, or presented as fact, unless I prove it otherwise.

Stuharris 6360

It just shows you though that people from outside Birmingham notice these things, I am surprised that Centro puts up with these methods of operation.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Isle of Stroma

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on November 21, 2013, 08:51:24 PM
It just shows you though that people from outside Birmingham notice these things, I am surprised that Centro puts up with these methods of operation.

There's quite a few people within Birmingham that notice these things too ....

nx4737

No, but it doesn't take long to find that in Birmingham!

Stuharris 6360

For those who take an interest in London Buses, Arriva DW84 on route 59 was involved in a serious accident this morning.

Details at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-25465221

John

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 20, 2013, 02:49:22 PM
For those who take an interest in London Buses, Arriva DW84 on route 59 was involved in a serious accident this morning.

That's awful, hope the people involved are ok.
The tree looks to be at least 5 feet into the front of the bus, that must be a write-off

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: John on December 20, 2013, 03:33:08 PM
Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 20, 2013, 02:49:22 PM

That's awful, hope the people involved are ok.
The tree looks to be at least 5 feet into the front of the bus, that must be a write-off

All the injured have now been removed from the bus, although from what they said on Sky News earlier, two people were trapped on the upper deck at the front for a while.

Ossie

When I saw "London Buses" as a thread topic on this West Midlands Bus board, I thought you were going to be talking about the ex-London Transport DMS Fleetlines that were acquired by WMPTE back in the late 1970's ....  ;D

I remember a batch of them were at Quinton garage, mainly working the old 9 route ..... 8)

I think there was about 30 acquired in all?

Google "wmpte 5514" if you want to see what they looked like ...

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Ossie on December 20, 2013, 10:12:05 PM
When I saw "London Buses" as a thread topic on this West Midlands Bus board, I thought you were going to be talking about the ex-London Transport DMS Fleetlines that were acquired by WMPTE back in the late 1970's ....  ;D

I remember a batch of them were at Quinton garage, mainly working the old 9 route ..... 8)

Did they all have the main destination box painted over?

filbus1

Quote from: Ossie on December 20, 2013, 10:12:05 PM

The WMPTE DMSs were 5500-30 & 5532-80, 20 each at Quinton, Harborne, Selly Oak and Yardley
Wood. 5531 was standard Fleetline BON 531C, rebuilt after a fire.

Justin Tyme

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 20, 2013, 10:24:08 PM
Did they all have the main destination box painted over?

At first they did, but they were fairly soon given new destination boxes, with the destination blind above a three-track number blind.  Google WMPTE 5533 to see what they looked like.

Later on Yardley Wood put four-track number blinds in some, and YW put WMPTE standard destination equipment in at least one (except with 3-track number blinds, due to lack of space).

IIRC WMPTE's DMSs all had Gardner 6LXB engines, and so had more 'go' than the standard early 1970s PTE Fleetlines.

Tony

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk