News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Birmingham Central Garage

Started by Liverpool Street, July 01, 2013, 05:31:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack

Quote from: Tony on November 09, 2017, 07:07:33 PM
OK, Mr know it all.

Statistics, and the traffic control experts who I work with will tell you differently.

What job do you do, what field do you have expertise in?
When I say zebra crossings are safer is was people wouldn't run infront of the bus, instead the buses would give way to pedestrians saving buses having to wait for the lights to go green. Oh and people won't run infront of incoming buses.

I never thought I would be compared to traffic control experts.
End of subject.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on November 09, 2017, 07:12:14 PM
When I say zebra crossings are safer is was people wouldn't run infront of the bus, instead the buses would give way to pedestrians saving buses having to wait for the lights to go green. Oh and people won't run infront of incoming buses.

Prime example, have a look at the zebra crossing into Walsall Bus Station from Butlers Passage far more dangerous than a Pelican crossing as because you can have to wait ages due to large number of pedestrians you will regularly see vehicles (not buses) forcing their way through pedestrians crossing. Far more dangerous, especially for someone with poor eyesight who will walk across thinking they have right of way

Jack

Quote from: Tony on November 09, 2017, 07:15:38 PM
Prime example, have a look at the zebra crossing into Walsall Bus Station from Butlers Passage far more dangerous than a Pelican crossing as because you can have to wait ages due to large number of pedestrians you will regularly see vehicles (not buses) forcing their way through pedestrians crossing. Far more dangerous, especially for someone with poor eyesight who will walk across thinking they have right of way
Yes I know that one. But that's the drivers fault, impatience. I've seen Bus  drivers force their way through it, usually the rude drivers that get put onto the 51 I see who do it.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on November 09, 2017, 07:18:36 PM
Yes I know that one. But that's the bus drivers fault, impatience.

So why would Carrs Lane be any different?

Jack

Quote from: Tony on November 09, 2017, 07:19:55 PM
So why would Carrs Lane be any different?
More busy and demanding and people don't have patience for the lights to change, traffic to stop etc.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on November 09, 2017, 07:21:19 PM
More busy and demanding and people don't have patience for the lights to change, traffic to stop etc.

Exactly so how long do you think a bus would have to wait if all those people had right of way.

I've driven buses over that crossing when it was a zebra, you had to force your way through the pedestrians, very dangerous

MW

Sod the zebra crossing. You can't win if there's a zebra crossing. There's always someone crossing, or someone about to cross. With the traffic light, you know where you stand (pardon the pun). The Scanias were good for that. If you ever spot a mere mortal about to cross, you sound the horn which will bounce of the surrounding buildings and royally sh*t that person up and low and behold, they'd let you pass. Ahh the puny horns on the MMCs are terrible in comparison.

Jack

Quote from: MW on November 09, 2017, 07:46:00 PM
Sod the zebra crossing. You can't win if there's a zebra crossing. There's always someone crossing, or someone about to cross. With the traffic light, you know where you stand (pardon the pun). The Scanias were good for that. If you ever spot a mere mortal about to cross, you sound the horn which will bounce of the surrounding buildings and royally sh*t that person up and low and behold, they'd let you pass. Ahh the puny horns on the MMCs are terrible in comparison.
The Omnilink horns are the best for making people jump.

Quote from: Tony on November 09, 2017, 07:32:16 PM
Exactly so how long do you think a bus would have to wait if all those people had right of way.

I've driven buses over that crossing when it was a zebra, you had to force your way through the pedestrians, very dangerous

Patience is what it's called.

Tony

Quote from: Jack on November 09, 2017, 05:41:57 PM
Those traffic lights at the top of Bull Street are a nuisance, sit on red for 5 minutes.

Quote from: Jack on November 09, 2017, 07:57:56 PM

Patience is what it's called.

AndrewLee

MasterPlan

Quote from: MasterPlan on November 02, 2017, 12:21:52 AM
4945 displaying 29 - Northfield tonight with Five Ways, Harborne and Weoley Castle scrolling underneath. It's happened before but not for a while. A sign that the curtailing to Northfield is happening?

Just seen a B7RLE displaying the same thing!
Local Routes: 002, 39/39A, X21, 46, 76.
Localish Routes: 18, 23, X22.

CL

4877 still wrapped; on the 24 today, if anyone still wants it. Can't imagine it has long left?
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Jaysnerz007

Sayeed

Век живи - век учись

Jack

Quote from: Sayeed on November 14, 2017, 10:27:40 PM
It's going to be refurbed.
Whenever it expires and BC send it for Crimsoning.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk