News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Best Locations For Photography

Started by DJ, January 05, 2018, 09:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DJ

Hi all, I'm planning on heading out tomorrow with my new camera to give it a bit of a test, and I'd like to make a good start with railway photography. I was thinking of either going down to Tyseley, since that gets a regular service of local 172's, along with Chiltern, CrossCountry and freight services that pass through, or heading up to somewhere on the Trent Valley, such as Tamworth or Rugeley, since they get a good variety too. Are there any better places that I'm missing here, or would these be the best options?

Thanks.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

JIM H

Nuneaton and Stafford have plenty of traffic with a reasonable variety, and then there's Water Orton which is pretty good for freight and since there's no overhead wires you can take photos from either of the 2 overbridges.

DJ

Quote from: JIM H on January 05, 2018, 11:02:36 PM
Nuneaton and Stafford have plenty of traffic with a reasonable variety, and then there's Water Orton which is pretty good for freight and since there's no overhead wires you can take photos from either of the 2 overbridges.

Cheers, I may end up checking those out in future then. I've been looking on the RailUK forums, and it seems like New Street's a good place to go, as long as you check in with Network Rail there. I think I'll head into Birmingham, stay at New Street and Moor Street for a while, then go down to Tyseley.

CL

On the corner of Livery Street and Northwood Street (near the Dominos).

There's a wall where you'd be able to see trains (and trams) pass under coming to and from Jewellery Quarter. If your timing is right, you may be able to catch a photo of a train passing a tram at the St. Pauls stop.
Check out my photos on Flickr & Instagram

Westy

Does Les Ross the radio Dj still train spot?

I know he used to talk about it on Wm!

(And he does have his own train as well!)

DJ

Quote from: CL on January 06, 2018, 04:11:16 AM
On the corner of Livery Street and Northwood Street (near the Dominos).

There's a wall where you'd be able to see trains (and trams) pass under coming to and from Jewellery Quarter. If your timing is right, you may be able to catch a photo of a train passing a tram at the St. Pauls stop.

Cheers, I do remember someone mentioning a bridge close to St Pauls on another forum, that may have been the place they were referring to.

Quote from: Westy on January 06, 2018, 05:38:33 PM
Does Les Ross the radio Dj still train spot?

I know he used to talk about it on Wm!

(And he does have his own train as well!)

Did you think of that because I have DJ in my name?  :D

Westy

Quote from: DJ98 on January 06, 2018, 06:33:52 PM
Cheers, I do remember someone mentioning a bridge close to St Pauls on another forum, that may have been the place they were referring to.

Did you think of that because I have DJ in my name?  :D

To be honest, I never noticed.

Er er righto! :)

DJ

Thanks to anyone who gave me advice, I ended up going down to Tyseley in the end, and then picked up a few more images on the way home at Birmingham Moor Street and Smethwick Galton Bridge. I'm currently getting through uploading all the photos I got to Flickr, so keep an eye out if you're interested. ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/145227801@N02/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk