News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

West Midlands Railway

Started by Stu, December 09, 2017, 12:50:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dingding

Don't forget that the line will provide another electrified diversionary route for the West Coast main line so it's not all about the Rugeley to Birmingham passenger trains

Tony

Quote from: mark114 on December 12, 2017, 11:41:11 AM
I think Tony we are going to agree to disagree on most subjects but I guess there is nothing wrong with that at all we all have our opinions

It was the swearing calling people names for having that different opinion to you that wound me up, not actually having a different opinion. There's no need for that. Your post was saying that because people who made the decision have a different opinion to you they are "f****** idiots", so it is you saying people shouldn't have different opinions

mark114

No Tony sadly disagree the point I was making was when I was calling people which I am not going to mention the names that I did it was my opinion only I was not calling you names why I said what I did because people in the rail industry spend money every day point taken on this project I really don't believe it was needed because diesel trains have been running this route well for as long as I can remember it was only a point I was trying to make if I have upset you well I cannot really say I am sorry because I was only putting my point of view

Tony

Quote from: mark114 on December 12, 2017, 12:14:10 PM
No Tony sadly disagree the point I was making was when I was calling people which I am not going to mention the names that I did it was my opinion only I was not calling you names why I said what I did because people in the rail industry spend money every day point taken on this project I really don't believe it was needed because diesel trains have been running this route well for as long as I can remember it was only a point I was trying to make if I have upset you well I cannot really say I am sorry because I was only putting my point of view

I know you weren't calling me names, but using that argument steam trains were running on the railway even longer than diesel so should they come back?

Is there any advantage a diesel has over electric? These are facts not opinions
Electric trains are more reliable, for instance class 350s average around 70,000 miles between failures, the best diesels are around 20,000
Electric trains are more energy effiecient, they are lighter so need less energy to propel them at the same speed
Electric trains are cleaner, they cause no pollution at point of use and depending on how the electricity is generated can cause no pollution at all as in France which doesn't have coal/gas/oil power stations generating for the railway.
Electric trains are faster

mark114

Yes Tony another good point of view you have put across which I did not mention is steam trains but like your post as clearly said electric trains are cleaner and I guess in a way more reliable but to be honest I am a diesel person as you may have gathered sorry again the words I put across in my previous posts was a bit strong and yes they were it's just I think in a way of today's railway

Bob

Electric trains are faster Tony but for the speeds required on the chase line does that make much difference. Ive always found that Sprinters seem to pull off quicker than 170s on that subject also

Tony

Quote from: Bob on December 12, 2017, 03:41:05 PM
Electric trains are faster Tony but for the speeds required on the chase line does that make much difference. Ive always found that Sprinters seem to pull off quicker than 170s on that subject also

It makes a big difference. An EMU will accelerate far faster, hence the possible 7 min journey time reduction which onsuch a short run

The Real 4778

Quote from: mark114 on December 12, 2017, 12:29:54 PM
like your post as clearly said electric trains are cleaner and I guess in a way more reliable but to be honest I am a diesel person as you may have gathered

Electric units ARE more reliable than DMUs, there's no 'in a way' about it.

As you say, you're a diesel person, so your creeping dislike of the modern railway is bound to increase over time.
Don't you start.

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: The Real 4778 on December 12, 2017, 05:12:40 PM
Electric units ARE more reliable than DMUs, there's no 'in a way' about it.

As you say, you're a diesel person, so your creeping dislike of the modern railway is bound to increase over time.

Not only are they more reliable, electric trains are more efficient and cheaper to run. Can't see why people are moaning about a line being electrified, it can only be good news for the passengers. Would love to see the Stourbridge line electified but know there isn't much chance of that.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

The Real 4778

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on December 12, 2017, 05:42:02 PM
Not only are they more reliable, electric trains are more efficient and cheaper to run. Can't see why people are moaning about a line being electrified, it can only be good news for the passengers. Would love to see the Stourbridge line electified but know there isn't much chance of that.

The thing about 'enthusiasm' is that it has a habit of leaving rationality at the door.

If the gricer in me had its way, the network - bus and rail - would be a Groundhog Day somewhere in 1973-78! 

But that is to deny not just physics (including the dimension of time), but also economics.
Don't you start.

Trident 4194

The new livery 172 was at cradley heading towards Worcester direction around 12:00

Westy

Quote from: dingding on December 12, 2017, 11:47:35 AM
Don't forget that the line will provide another electrified diversionary route for the West Coast main line so it's not all about the Rugeley to Birmingham passenger trains

I suppose when this happens, the normal trains will be cancelled to allow for them?

Tony

Quote from: Westy on December 12, 2017, 07:14:08 PM
I suppose when this happens, the normal trains will be cancelled to allow for them?

Why. The new signalling installed last year allows for up to 12 trains per hour.

DJ

Google Maps still seem to be referring to the services as London Midland, I'd have thought it'd at least change to wmtrains or something, if not the LNWR and WMR brands.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Westy

Quote from: Tony on December 12, 2017, 07:20:57 PM
Why. The new signalling installed last year allows for up to 12 trains per hour.

Does it?

Thats good then.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk