News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

British rail class 444, 450, 707

Started by BK63 YWP, August 23, 2017, 02:18:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BK63 YWP

Since South Western is replacing most of the emu fleet with new trains, I was wondering what will happen to the 444, 450 and 707s can they be converted to overhead use, maybe Abellio might pinch the 707s for the West coast moving the 350s to cross city lines ?
The Funny sounding Enviro 400

15 Wolverhampton to Merry Hill
15A Wolverhampton Merry Hill
16 Wolverhampton to Stourbridge

X10 Gornal Wood

Tony

The 444 & 450 fleets are not being replaced and we already know the Cross City is getting brand new trains.

As I have said before 350s would not be any good for the cross city. A 4 carriage 350 carries less passengers than a 3 car 323 but takes up more platform space, so harder to lengthen

DJ

The 707's look like they could be suitable for the CrossCity line, as they have more of a 'commuter' interior. I'm not sure what they're like length-wise though compared to the 323's.

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

Tony

Quote from: DJ98 on August 23, 2017, 04:12:41 PM
The 707's look like they could be suitable for the CrossCity line, as they have more of a 'commuter' interior. I'm not sure what they're like length-wise though compared to the 323's.

They're 5 cars, and the cross-city is getting new trains!

DJ

Quote from: Tony on August 23, 2017, 04:44:43 PM
They're 5 cars, and the cross-city is getting new trains!

Does the Cross City line ever get 2x3 car 323's? I'm guessing a 707 would be a bit of a downgrade if that's the case, unless all the platforms can accommodate 10 cars.

Cheese

Quote from: DJ98 on August 23, 2017, 05:15:38 PM
Does the Cross City line ever get 2x3 car 323's? I'm guessing a 707 would be a bit of a downgrade if that's the case, unless all the platforms can accommodate 10 cars.

There are 6 car 323 formations on the Cross-City, won't get anything longer than that on some of the platforms, Bournville in particular where a 6 car will only just fit.

DJ

Quote from: Cheese on August 23, 2017, 05:19:21 PM
There are 6 car 323 formations on the Cross-City, won't get anything longer than that on some of the platforms, Bournville in particular where a 6 car will only just fit.

Sounds like a 707 would be a downgrade at peak times, unless SDO would be used. Not sure if the Cross City is DOO though?

Tony

Quote from: DJ98 on August 23, 2017, 06:11:28 PM
Sounds like a 707 would be a downgrade at peak times, unless SDO would be used. Not sure if the Cross City is DOO though?

No trains around here are DOO

DJ

windy miller

It might have escaped our notice but the new 707 vehicles currently have no toilet facilities! although they are currently in use with DC power they also have the facility for use on AC power if required. The first two units  (i.e.707001+002) have been paired for AC trials recently but are currently stabled at Wimbledon. only 12 units have been delivered to date. If the WM cross city line is to be absorbed by (presumably) Northern? when the LM franchise ends I can only assume we will be getting new class 331units? ie  31x3car and 12x4car due for delivery in 2018. Cant see any other options.......unless you know different?
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on October 08, 2017, 04:08:34 AM
It might have escaped our notice but the new 707 vehicles currently have no toilet facilities! although they are currently in use with DC power they also have the facility for use on AC power if required. The first two units  (i.e.707001+002) have been paired for AC trials recently but are currently stabled at Wimbledon. only 12 units have been delivered to date. If the WM cross city line is to be absorbed by (presumably) Northern? when the LM franchise ends I can only assume we will be getting new class 331units? ie  31x3car and 12x4car due for delivery in 2018. Cant see any other options.......unless you know different?

The Cross City line is getting 36 brand new 3-car (108 carriages) of an as yet unannounced class number and type

DJ

Quote from: windy miller on October 08, 2017, 04:08:34 AMIf the WM cross city line is to be absorbed by (presumably) Northern? when the LM franchise ends

It'll be taken over by Abellio, East Japan Railway Company, and Mitsui Group, and will be ran as West Midlands Trains/wmtrains. I'm pretty sure Northern's franchise only gets as far as Stoke, so it wouldn't make sense for them to run any services round here anyway.

Steve3229vp

Quote from: Tony on October 08, 2017, 08:55:13 AM
The Cross City line is getting 36 brand new 3-car (108 carriages) of an as yet unannounced class number and type
[/quote
They're 3 car units now, not enough unless they link them up

Steve3229vp

Tony

Quote from: Steve3229vp on October 09, 2017, 06:41:10 AM

108 carriages is plenty. There's currently only 78 323 carriages and not all those are on the cross city. As a lot of the platforms are long enough for 6 cars it makes sense to stick with 3 car units

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk