News:

Please do have a browse through the forums or use the Search functionality before posting a new topic - chances are there is already a discussion underway on that subject, or your question has already been answered previously!

Main Menu

Bendies on the 4

Started by Isobel6725, June 03, 2017, 09:14:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eric Shaw

With the Warwick University term ending and the trams to start running through to Wolverhampton at the end of the week the end of the Bendies may be close.

Coventry Transport Dude

Arrived in Holbrooks this morning and i'd only been there 5 minutes, when to my surprise, 6018 comes down Holbrook Lane bound for Arena Tesco.  I quickly jumped on it (my first time in God knows how many years ?) and i was pleasantly surprised to see its Rally Plaque from the Sandwell Rally it once attended, still fitted above the Windscreen in the Drivers Cab !  After a little run 'round on 6018, i was fortunate enough to have 6014 being the next No.4 to follow this, so it was basically off one Bendi, hang around for about 10 minutes and then straight on to the next one ! ("HAPPY DAYS", i duly shouted !!!lol).  I didn't see any other Bendi's out today, as the 4 route seemed to have lots of the old "Y" registered Tridents on it today, of which i saw 4206, 4207, 4208, 4209, 4214 and i think the other one was 4216 ?

I traveled quite often on all of Coventry's Bendi-buses when they were new and used on the old 17/27 route, but after they finished on there, i think i maybe only ever caught one or two afterwards on the 4 route, but that was years ago now ?  After today's trips out on 6014 and 6018, it made me truly regret not going for the odd trip out on them more often than i have in their latter years and i think i'm really gonna miss these Buses when they've all sadly gone ???  They may not be very reliable and unfortunately have their problems from what i've been told, but they are such a distinctive vehicle for Coventry (and beyond !) to have in their fleet and as a Passenger on them, they are just great Buses to travel on !!!!!  The Driver of 6014 traveled at speed along the Foleshill Road today and sitting at the back as i was, it still amazes me to see the front half of the Bus disappear for a split second, as we traveled over Courtaulds Canal Bridge and then it just seemed to bounce along and was going up and down like a "YO YO" whenever it hit any dips in the road ?lol.  (Will have to go for another trip out on them if possible, before they do all finally go ?).

It's probably a "NO GO" and not really worth me asking, but will the Bendi-buses here have some sort of farewell send off, for enthusiasts to have their last ever ride on them (similar to what the Fleetlines and Metrobuses did here !), or will they just all go quietly, like the other old Mercs (1571, 1591, 1594 etc..) did here 2 years ago ! (Be good to take one on the old 17/27 route again, just for old times sake ?).

JoNi

Coventry Transport Dude

"THANK YOU" JoNi for letting us know !!!!!!!!!

Kevin

Quote from: Coventry Transport Dude on December 07, 2017, 10:18:24 PM
It's probably a "NO GO" and not really worth me asking, but will the Bendi-buses here have some sort of farewell send off, for enthusiasts to have their last ever ride on them (similar to what the Fleetlines and Metrobuses did here !), or will they just all go quietly, like the other old Mercs (1571, 1591, 1594 etc..) did here 2 years ago ! (Be good to take one on the old 17/27 route again, just for old times sake ?).

I think with only the two now seeing service that's unlikely but you never know. I would love that myself
Now in exile in Oxfordshire....

Twi

Well if they did i'd be up for driving one of them for that would be nice to see i mean the mercs had a send off Bendi's should get one

Michael Bevan

Quote from: Twi on December 10, 2017, 06:35:06 PM
Well if they did i'd be up for driving one of them for that would be nice to see i mean the mercs had a send off Bendi's should get one

I'd love to see a bendy bus farewell too! It would be a good time to do it over Christmas with most of the schools off and the PVR dropping. I think it would attract quite a few people including those who aren't bus enthusiasts.

The Fox 4846

Would be nice if they did a particular route in Coventry like the 301 in Walsall as extras.would be nice to get a couple Scalia vendors from miller st as well to make it a proper farewell
33 Asda Queslett via Perry Barr, Kingstanding, Pheasey
7 Sutton Coldfield via Witton, Perry Common, Boldmere

Jack

Quote from: The Fox 4846 on December 10, 2017, 07:18:17 PM
Would be nice if they did a particular route in Coventry like the 301 in Walsall as extras.would be nice to get a couple Scalia vendors from miller st as well to make it a proper farewell
Would be nice to see the Citaro's have a farewell but I guess they won't last very long - I'd like to see 6020 return. No way would I like to see those sheds at Miller Street on the 67 for a farewell, they are horrible, noisy and unreliable. PB struggled to get them out a lot. The Citaro's in my opinion have done well, I've only ever heard of them start struggling to stay in service was when they started being withdrawn.

DJ

I'll be in Coventry on Wednesday, so it seems like a good opportunity to have a ride on one before they're gone. I think the last time I caught one, was back in the days of Travel Coventry, on the 27. How many are usually out, versus the deckers?

Any views/comments are my own and do not reflect those of my employer.

JoNi

There are only two left for the eight workings on route 4.
It takes two hours to do a complete round trip to both sides of  the city so you shouldnt have to wait more than 45 minutes to catch one if the service is running on time.

paulb1973

Quote from: JoNi on December 11, 2017, 08:30:53 PM
There are only two left for the eight workings on route 4.
It takes two hours to do a complete round trip to both sides of  the city so you shouldnt have to wait more than 45 minutes to catch one if the service is running on time.

6018 is one of them, presumably on the 4 today (Mon). It seems towards the end of each year, another vehicle type retires. Is that due to happen with the Bendi's?

JoNi

6014 is the other operational one as mentioned before on this thread. That was also out today.

Coventry Transport Dude

Saw 6018 out late tonight on the 4E route, coming along Holbrook Lane (by the Hollybush Pub) at about 11.10pm and was heading towards Town !

JoNi

6018 only one seemingly out withplenty of snow on roof still.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk