News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Newport Metrobuses

Started by j789, February 15, 2017, 08:41:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

j789

Looking at the recent Bob Cutt photos, does anyone know what seat moquette the Newport Metros had? IWas it like WMPTE as these are so similar to West Mids examples with the same 'please pay on entry' stickers and even the fareboxes look the same! Did WMPTE ever loan any of there early Metros to Newport to evaluate as Newport's Metros just seem so similar to West Mids. Maybe just a coincidence.

markcf83

Newport had favoured Scanias for many years,up to 2011. I might be wrong but they didn't hire in from West Midlands PTE.
Don't judge me until you've walked in my size ten shoes.

Gareth

I believe the only people to use 'castle' moquette was WMPTE and one of the Scottish companies.
Newport, I think had Metropolitans previously, so the Metrobus was a natural choice. Apart from the farebox, Pay as you enter sticker and general standard Metrobus appareance, I see no silmilarity. Even the distinct WMPTE destination surround is a different style on the Newport examples.

Tony

Quote from: Gareth on February 16, 2017, 02:04:31 PM
I believe the only people to use 'castle' moquette was WMPTE and one of the Scottish companies.
Newport, I think had Metropolitans previously, so the Metrobus was a natural choice. Apart from the farebox, Pay as you enter sticker and general standard Metrobus appareance, I see no silmilarity. Even the distinct WMPTE destination surround is a different style on the Newport examples.

They did have the WM logo on the brake pedal rubbers!

Gareth

Wow! I guess it shows just how much money was actually wasted on such trivial things back in PTE days. Bet they looked smart when new though!

markcf83

Quote from: Gareth on February 16, 2017, 02:04:31 PM

Newport, I think had Metropolitans previously, so the Metrobus was a natural choice.

That is true. They even took the single deck examples off LT in the mid 70's.

j789

Quote from: Tony on February 16, 2017, 02:11:54 PM
They did have the WM logo on the brake pedal rubbers!

Was there a reason the Newport Metrobuses had these or were they just standard on all Metros built in that period? Are any Newport Metrobuses in preservation?

Tony

Quote from: j789 on February 16, 2017, 08:40:46 PM
Was there a reason the Newport Metrobuses had these or were they just standard on all Metros built in that period? Are any Newport Metrobuses in preservation?

No Idea, I was on a visit to the depot having a look over one, and everything in the cab was identical to the WM ones, the pedal rubbers just stood out because of the logo

j789

Quote from: Tony on February 16, 2017, 09:02:01 PM
No Idea, I was on a visit to the depot having a look over one, and everything in the cab was identical to the WM ones, the pedal rubbers just stood out because of the logo

Do you know how many Metros Newport had? Perhaps if they only had a few MCW just used the same parts as for a bigger order from WMPTE as was cheaper to do that for a small batch. interesting stuff though!

markcf83

Newport had about a dozen Metrobuses,maybe slightly more. Certainly wasn't the entirety of their double decker fleet as Scanias were usually favoured.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk