News:

Reminder to all members: please keep thread discussions 'on-topic' - this is a structured discussion forum, not a general 'group chat'!

Main Menu

Bham Ext final countdown

Started by wembley86, April 02, 2016, 07:06:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: T840MAK on June 17, 2016, 08:20:54 AM
I love this. People complain when a tram shows something like "B Bull Street" and "W St Georges", and they complain when it says "Birmingham" or "Wolverhampton".

Birmingham Grand Central is a long name. Probably just doesn't fit on the destination - at least it says where its going clearer than it did before.

Yes but visitors are unlikely to know where B Bull Street or W St Georges actually are. In order to gain custom, you need clear and concise destination displays. Birmingham & Wolverhampton are exactly the same, where in Birmingham do they go??
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

T840MAK

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 17, 2016, 01:16:14 PM
Yes but visitors are unlikely to know where B Bull Street or W St Georges actually are. In order to gain custom, you need clear and concise destination displays. Birmingham & Wolverhampton are exactly the same, where in Birmingham do they go??

Whilst I completely understand your point you have to remember that destination blinds can only show so much at once. Birmingham and Wolverhampton is more informative for a visitor to an area than the older alternatives.
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

Dom

Quote from: Westy on June 16, 2016, 10:34:33 PM
There's no actual short journeys that run as far as Snow Hill / Bull Street is there?

No there aren't. Its just complaining for the sake of complaining as the audio visual inside the tram say 'This tram terminates at Birmingham Grand Central'. I don't get what the issue is personally.

wembley86

Quote from: T840MAK on June 17, 2016, 02:55:02 PM
Whilst I completely understand your point you have to remember that destination blinds can only show so much at once. Birmingham and Wolverhampton is more informative for a visitor to an area than the older alternatives.
did they have a scrolling one when ozzy and HRH did tram naming i.e 'midland metro welcomes ozzy osbourne'

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: wembley86 on June 18, 2016, 08:32:43 AM
did they have a scrolling one when ozzy and HRH did tram naming i.e 'midland metro welcomes ozzy osbourne'

This is what i thought, if it can scroll why not take advantage of it to show the full destination and maybe a few via points.
Pensnett is my local garage. Favourite bus of all time is Fleetline 6360 (KON 360P).

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 18, 2016, 06:35:06 PM
This is what i thought, if it can scroll why not take advantage of it to show the full destination and maybe a few via points.

Why would you need to show via points? Every stop is listed on the route map at every stop, and passengers wouldn't be able to see them all on a scrolling destination as it approached

Stuharris 6360

Quote from: Tony on June 18, 2016, 06:45:03 PM
Why would you need to show via points? Every stop is listed on the route map at every stop, and passengers wouldn't be able to see them all on a scrolling destination as it approached

Thats true @ Tony, although you could say the same with buses, now 99.9% of stops have timetable information with key stops listed, do they need via points on the display.

Tony

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 18, 2016, 07:04:48 PM
Thats true @ Tony, although you could say the same with buses, now 99.9% of stops have timetable information with key stops listed, do they need via points on the display.

London has decided not!

T840MAK

Quote from: Stuharris 6360 on June 18, 2016, 06:35:06 PM

its harder to read if the destination is scrolling...?
Twitter @TomCousins60054
Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/modeltrains33/

mikestone

This morning the screens at Grand Central and Corporation Street  were 32 minutes slow and showing the wait for the next tram accordingly i.e. a tram 3 minutes away as due in 35 minutes. When I came back the ones at Snow Hill were the same but showing the wait for the next tram correctly.
;
Anyone know if the screens calculate when the next tram is due locally or is it all done at Wednesbury and transmitted to the stop?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk