News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Glasgow Underground

Started by Tony, August 06, 2014, 09:02:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Is this the least photographed public railway in the country?

http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/Glasgow/109.html

gac_uk

Wasn't there a photography ban at some point?

windy miller

Hi  When I was up there back in 2012 I did ask the ticket clerk if photoraphy was permitted on the system and they said definately NOT... (no idea why)....the system consists of  clockwise and anti clockwise circuits around the city running parralel with each other. A round trip in either direction only takes about 35 mins. I think the stock must be knocking on a bit but they still keep running ..bit like the 'old' blackpool trams which ran for over 60 years!
Mind the Gap.....?:-)

Tony

Quote from: windy miller on August 07, 2014, 10:11:53 PM
Hi  When I was up there back in 2012 I did ask the ticket clerk if photoraphy was permitted on the system and they said definately NOT... (no idea why)....the system consists of  clockwise and anti clockwise circuits around the city running parralel with each other. A round trip in either direction only takes about 35 mins. I think the stock must be knocking on a bit but they still keep running ..bit like the 'old' blackpool trams which ran for over 60 years!

The original trains ran from 1896 until 1977. The current trains were built by Metro-Cammel in Birmingham new in 1979, so not that old in railway terms

Gareth

I had a go on the 'clockwork orange' last week whilst I was in Glasgow for the games. Very similar to tube stock of the same period, just seems a bit smaller.

Stevo

Don't forget it's a narrow gauge railway - not as small as the Ffestiniog but 4 foot gauge if I remember right. It's like a miniature version of the Piccadilly line.

Bob

Quote from: Tony on August 07, 2014, 10:20:34 PM

The original trains ran from 1896 until 1977. The current trains were built by Metro-Cammel in Birmingham new in 1979, so not that old in railway terms

What ran in 1978 then?

Kiewii

Quote from: Bob on September 22, 2014, 09:27:40 PM
Quote from: Tony on August 07, 2014, 10:20:34 PM

What ran in 1978 then?

Nothing, I believe the subway was closed for refurbishment during 1978

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk