News:

Welcome to the WM Buses in Photos Forum! New and existing members are kindly reminded to respect and abide by the Forum Rules that are in place here.

Main Menu

Wot - no wires!

Started by Tony, November 09, 2013, 05:25:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

Looking like it is managing to pull a train with no overhead wires, here is an 86/2 on the back of a diverted Birmingham-Euston service running 'wrong line' so it can take the Nuneaton branch at Water Orton

http://wmbusphotos.com/Trains/class86/862unknown.html

Justin Tyme

I like it!

Around 1979 I did a Sunday morning New Street - Coventry trip this way, thanks to engineering works on the direct line.  A class 47 hauled a class 86-headed train to Nuneaton, where I had to change onto a DMU for Coventry.

I enjoyed this for two reasons: (1) I did it all quite legitimately using a WMPTE Travelcard - it was the official diversion that morning - and (2) there wasn't a passenger service on the Nuneaton - Coventry line at the time.  IIRC the DMU had to reverse onto a parallel line before we could get into Coventry Station.

This arrangement didn't last long.  A few weeks later, when I next travelled to Coventry on a Sunday morning, the diversion meant an EMU to Birmingham International and then a WMPTE (Coventry) Fleetline or Metrobus to Coventry Station.  That was a good blast along the Meriden by-pass but not as "exotic" as via Nuneaton!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk